Are you "actively" using the new +Create button?

MMXII

Are you "actively" using the new +Create button?  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So IPS4 has this new +Create button and I wonder if you are "actively" using it? I find myself still browsing the old way: Going to the forum I like to create a topic in and then clicking on the Create New Topic button. Or moving to my blog and create a new entry there. So... how familiar are you with this new button?

Oh, and by "actively using" I mean something regular using, or in other words: Has the +Create button become your new method to create content?

I think it's a distraction and serves no purpose other than confuse people, I can see moderators and admins having to move topics to the appropriate sections, I think I'll either remove it or make it solely for the purpose of creating status updates or calendar events (I might even include the option for creating a tournament event).

I think it's a distraction and serves no purpose other than confuse people, I can see moderators and admins having to move topics to the appropriate sections, I think I'll either remove it or make it solely for the purpose of creating status updates or calendar events (I might even include the option for creating a tournament event).

​Don't think how could this confuse people. It's a nice addition for novice users and something power users maybe will ignore.

We are not using it, because we are trained to create content in other ways. But for new users it might still be very helpful. I regularly have new users who write me a personal message because they don’t know how to start a new forum thread. 

​This is exactly my thoughts on it. I wont use it myself, nor do I believe anyone who is familiar with forums will use it. However Im hoping it may remove the "I dont know how to do it" question from people who dont even yet know what a forum is.

i use it now it's new to me but i'll implement new things to it also i'm planing to create new plugin for keystroke 

it will do the same trick if you hit (s) that will show the search box to you and if you hit (t) that will show the topic creating model to you

and i can change the key to my liking it's all to make it easier for me and my members to reach things faster in my community 

i use it now it's new to me but i'll implement new things to it also i'm planing to create new plugin for keystroke 

it will do the same trick if you hit (s) that will show the search box to you and if you hit (t) that will show the topic creating model to you

and i can change the key to my liking it's all to make it easier for me and my members to reach things faster in my community 

​Thats an interesting idea :) I like

​Don't think how could this confuse people. It's a nice addition for novice users and something power users maybe will ignore.

​In my experience, novice users don't know where to post in the first place and generally need direction or need to read the relevant section to get a better understanding as to where the topic should be placed.

If they simply access the main index and create new content, I foresee them posting in the wrong areas and admins / mods having to move topics more than usual.

Just my view though, I like the concept, I just don't think it's going to work in reality.

We are not using it, because we are trained to create content in other ways. But for new users it might still be very helpful. I regularly have new users who write me a personal message because they don’t know how to start a new forum thread. 

​On our 3.4.x forums I use a "PM to Topic" hook so when I have that situation I simply convert it to a topic in the proper forum instead of replying.  It has worked really nicely.  Hopefully that same hook gets updated to IP4.

As for the orginal poll/topic, it is too soon to really ask that without more answer choices such as "other", "plan to", "do not plan to" etc.  For example, our 4.0 site is currently in a seperate directory and is "offline and closed to registrations".  The only people with access is myself and a few staff members as we test the software and work on configuring the software etc.  We won't know how widely it is used until our main site is upgraded and the software is used by all members.  However, I can say that I have used it a few times myself and I see it as a feature I will keep as it is a nice little shortcut to areas and comes in handy.

For creating topics? It depends, if I'm already in the forum I want to create a new topic in I probably wouldn't use it.

For anything else? Sure, it's a lot more convenient. Why would I navigate to the downloads section, then navigate to the category I want to upload a file in, then finally click "Submit a new file" when I can easily do it in two clicks without having to reload and re-render the entire page three times?

I think this is a brilliant new feature that adds a lot of user friendliness to the forum. I have a lot of members who have a struggled working with all the applications and sections my forum has. I believe IP.Boards new streamlined design will make my community significantly easier and more enjoyable for my members to use. I don't personally understand or agree with how you could find this confusing (or believe your members will find it confusing) over the current system.

So tl;dr while I haven't used IPB 4.0 extensively yet, I do see myself using it a lot.

The create button is a nice shortcut to quickly upload a gallery image. I have noticed that's what I am using it for at the moment but I am sure that users will also like it for other apps. It would enrich the visual feel if the links in the dropdown menu would have icons showing the purpose of its links.

It would enrich the visual feel if the links in the dropdown menu would have icons showing the purpose of its links.

​Yea, i had something similar in mind for my custom skin.

I'm planning to use icons in the navbar next to the app name

and to reuse the icons also for the "create new" menu and  for some other areas.

Archived