Thumbnails in IP4.0 Abysmal

SJ77

Oddly I cant find the size setting for thumbnails either. And whats more I know it was there as Ive used it LOL. There is a link if you search thumbnails but has an error when you click it so wondering if this is the item Im looking for and there is just an issue somewhere. Will do some more digging :)

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Testing upload of a large-ish photo.  Original jpg was 3.66mb.  Pre-upload Dimensions: 5312x2988

Thumbnail size set using forum editor controls

123.24 KB (126,200 bytes)
1,333px × 750px (scaled to 198px × 148px)
20140710_161749.thumb.jpg.f9f18a22c86eb7

Thumbnail made before uploading

Same sized thumbnail as image above made by me using Irfanview and uploaded to compare file size

7.45 KB (7,626 bytes)
198px × 148px

testthumb.thumb.jpg.84910455cb304de5c177

Size chosen by IPB 4 forum software default display size after uploading

3,749.68 KB (3,839,674 bytes)
5,312px × 2,988px (scaled to 1,042px × 586px)

Note:  Left click on image, THEN click Full Size link at bottom left of image, AND THEN left click on image again using maginying cursor to see true size of image...
20140710_161749.jpg.b84dde752ca633f0e8b0

Thumbnail made before uploading

Same sized thumbnail as image above made by me using Irfanview and uploaded to compare file size

81.79 KB (83,758 bytes)
1,042px × 586px

testthumb2.thumb.jpg.69db5402494bcf2a57c

​Dragonbrand here. Our community used to be an IP.Board too.

Perhaps we should make a new tpic for us GW2 players so not to derail this one.

​Dragonbrand here. Our community used to be an IP.Board too.

Perhaps we should make a new tpic for us GW2 players so not to derail this one.

​Sure, go ahead and start something, maybe there are more of us crazy gamers floating around here that can share some wisdom on making and running successful sites :D

Our thumbnail size here is set to 1000x750

2014-11-18_0917.png

This is the thumbnail dimensions.  The full size image is still stored, but a thumbnail is created at this size and that is what is shown in posts.

​Might want to rename that setting, since it sounds like it's just max image size, instead of just the thumbnail. Maybe just call it "Thumbnail size"?

• Management

Just to clarify in simple terms since there has been a lot of confusion in this topic:

IPS4 does create thumbnails but only if the uploaded image is larger than the maximum upload size. It creates thumbnails up to that size you specify in the AdminCP.

The root of the confusion here was that we had our max size setting here on this site quite high so it looked like no thumbnails were made when indeed they are.

Just to clarify in simple terms since there has been a lot of confusion in this topic:

IPS4 does create thumbnails but only if the uploaded image is larger than the maximum upload size. It creates thumbnails up to that size you specify in the AdminCP.

The root of the confusion here was that we had our max size setting here on this site quite high so it looked like no thumbnails were made when indeed they are.

​Appreciate the clarification, Charles!

​the image will be limited to the available screen size in the lightbox and then in the lightbox you can click full size to show by itself in the browser window at full size.

​That is good but I assume this means the image will actually be the same file in lightbox scaled down.. then not scaled in full size. Thus no bandwidth savings at all. Is that correct?

The lightbox shows the thumbnail and also has a "full size" link to view the mammoth image.

​That sounds like fantastic functionality but I wonder how this will be achieved. With so many screen sizes,  will the lightbox thumbnail  be created on the fly? Or will there be multiple sized lightbox thumbnails created at time of upload, then cached?

or do you mean the lightbox will display the thumbnail that is posted in the thread? So If I have my thumbnails set to 100Px by 100px lightbox would only display a 100px by 100px version of the image? Forcing users to click twice to see anything good? ugh.. I hope that's not what you mean.

The lightbox shows the thumbnail and also has a "full size" link to view the mammoth image.

So there is no option not to store the full size image at all and only keep a certain reasonable size?

Damn, one would think that discussing a couple of image settings would be easier and not end in 4 pages and still lots of confusion. 

So there is no option not to store the full size image at all and only keep a certain reasonable size?

Damn, one would think that discussing a couple of image settings would be easier and not end in 4 pages and still lots of confusion. 

​that is the impression I get, also it's still not clear what "all of the thumbnails" means with regard to how lightbox will work.

IPB still have not really solved the situation as they do not understand the users needs.

If the thumbnail image size is set to 150x150 - so posts can display lots of small efficient thumbnails quickly to thousands of visitors, they are saying the lightbox will display the same image - Which is going to look sh$thouse.

The light box should probably display the larger of the images (and browser scale it down to fit the lightbox.. this would be the better option for the light box.

Yeah, I completely agree that the lightbox should be displaying the full image, not the preview, that doesn't really make sense. It should work as it worked in IPB3, I see no reason to change that.

The "full image" link also goes to the preview, not the actual full image. I'm guessing that at least is a bug.

Yeah, I completely agree that the lightbox should be displaying the full image, not the preview, that doesn't really make sense. It should work as it worked in IPB3, I see no reason to change that.

The "full image" link also goes to the preview, not the actual full image. I'm guessing that at least is a bug.

​I also agree with this. Thats why I assumed lightbox would have it's own "bigger" thumbnail. Sort of like a middle stage.

small thumb in post, larger image in lightbox and full size available upon special request (IE clicking on full image)

Archived