Fastest software to date?

Aussie Cable

I don't know, but you guys (official IPS employees) keep on stating that IPS 4.0 is the fastest version of your software yet, I am not convinced.

This is what it took to load the site today (8.8 seconds):

15600188769_f76f6c3fe8_o.png

This is how long it took to login (17.5 seconds):

15762320526_e0c3601a3d_o.png

Now I am in Australia, and it never takes this long to load the site, it is usually only around 2 seconds to load, and about 3 to login. My own beta site is slower than my 3.4.x version. I am yet to be convinced.

Seems I am not the only one seeing this:

and

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s Beta software running on a just converted site with tons of re-building stuff still happening in the background. It’s pointless to make statements about the performance of the 4.0 software itself by just looking at how long it takes to load this page today. Give it some time. 

We had a preview site up for months running on Zend Server (so we could monitor performance), allowing us to find performance issues and tweak the software.  That said, nothing replaces running the software on a busy production site where you get thousands of visitors simultaneously, so we have upgraded our company forums to help shake out further bugs and performance issues.  Just yesterday we resolved an issue for instance where language string queries were stacking up in MySQL, and this resulted in a huge performance boost.  We have found missing indexes on various database tables which were causing massively slow queries to stack up, and we've since resolved many of those.

We will continue performance monitoring and testing and the software will continue to get speedier.  The underlying code architecture is far more modern and better performing than previous versions, and most of the slowness noticed so far is simply due to upgrade oddities (which are bugs that we will or have addressed) or usage of areas that just haven't had much real world, large busy site testing yet.

The preview site that was running for quite some time, was really fast even with all the performance tracking/reporting that IPS deployed on it. Just need to give this instance some time, read those posts carefully about what is happening and you'll understand the current situation better ;)

It is secondary to the underlying speed of course but there are also additional caching features that are completely disabled here right now, guest output caching for instance. Enabling them would mask underlying issues though and we need to optimize each application layer independently. 

Great to hear that the community forum is the biggest test for IPS4. Even with cache disabled everything seems to work fine and fast from the Netherlands.

So I'm really looking forward to experience the new software at full speed with more optimizations and caching enabled.

Hey

I am a former IPB user. I just want to say Discourse feels a lot faster. Maybe due to it being Ruby I dont know.

Cheers.

​Must admit I completely agree. However to be fair I once wrote a form with the words "Hello World" on it and that to ran 1000% quicker than IPS. In fact I would go as far as to say it was instant, and I was only an amateur in those days.

Archived