Have you upgraded to 4.0? User Feedback?

xert77

Hey,

I was just wondering if anyone has actually updated their live site to 4.0, or has a popular Beta setup (feel free to link) and what the general feedback from your users was. Do they like the change or do they feel like it's too different, still has too many bugs etc.

Thanks

Hey,

I was just wondering if anyone has actually updated their live site to 4.0, or has a popular Beta setup (feel free to link) and what the general feedback from your users was. Do they like the change or do they feel like it's too different, still has too many bugs etc.

Thanks

http://community.invisionfocus.com 

Started from Pre installed 1.0.15 now have beta 2 installed yes there bugs upgrading but i enjoyed upgrading the forum was task and fixed all issues myself and posted few bugs as found the problems.

I dont think someone would update their live website with a Beta. (at least i dont hope so). 
I made a test, but, its a website to be deleted in a few weeks. http://fotohut.no/

​lol why not have live site on beta !! or am i only one like break rules and be made :P

I dont think someone would update their live website with a Beta. (at least i dont hope so). 
I made a test, but, its a website to be deleted in a few weeks. http://fotohut.no/

​Haha yeah, I am waiting for it to work well here first before I even consider it.

http://community.invisionfocus.com 

Started from Pre installed 1.0.15 now have beta 2 installed yes there bugs upgrading but i enjoyed upgrading the forum was task and fixed all issues myself and posted few bugs as found the problems.

​Cool, it's nice to see some set ups. What has been the overall feedback from users on those sites so far?

I showed a fresh install to a few core-members and they loved it. I received much good feedback. I still have trouble with the upgrader and i can't upgrade without IP.Content (IP.Pages), but i think, everyone will love it :) (like me)

​Good to hear your members loved it. I can remember when I upgraded another forum software which i will not name here (haha), the users hated it. I just hope they love this change when it happens.

I am still eager to see if anyone can change the look from the default blue & make some big customization changes.

​lol why not have live site on beta !! or am i only one like break rules and be made :P

​​I belive this is the reason, you know abiiiit more than other ppls does :P IPS dont support beta upgrades, and if the website goes down, destroys everything you made, they cant help, i would like to upgrade, but im abit afraid that everything will get messed up :P 

​You have a site that seems to be focused around IPS so that's reasonable. 

Someone upgrading for instance their gaming site, has no experience with beta (buggy) software and/or has a large userbase unaware of this will turn into frustrated users and people not be using their website anymore. If you are comfortable with all that then by all means, upgrade your production site with non-finished software.

I'm sure it has lot's of whizz bang features, but on first look and feel I don't like it overall.  There are parts that I think looks good, but overall thumbs down.  It could be "change" and could grow on me.  I need to see ip content and nexus and won't be upgrading until properly road tested by users and when all of the hooks and apps I have installed are upgraded.  I'm looking at 12 months earliest.  Glad it's here now though, so that it can develop further.

I'm sure it has lot's of whizz bang features, but on first look and feel I don't like it overall.  There are parts that I think looks good, but overall thumbs down.  It could be "change" and could grow on me.  I need to see ip content and nexus and won't be upgrading until properly road tested by users and when all of the hooks and apps I have installed are upgraded.  I'm looking at 12 months earliest.  Glad it's here now though, so that it can develop further.

​Thanks for the honest feedback. I think there are parts of 4.0 that I really like, and other parts that I dislike. Visually wise I did like the old default template, and I feel like this one is lacking something at the moment. I'm eager to see what Template creators come up with.

I do have faith in 4.0 though & I know the change and upgrade will be worthwhile in the long run.

We have IP4 installed in a temporary directory for development.  Once finished, we will upgrade our current site and merge the databases etc.  However, a few of our staff have limited access to the development site and the feedback has been great!  

I would just put it on my live site, but, we use some third party apps that we cannot do without and going live with Beta would mean we have to stop using those apps.

We have IP4 installed in a temporary directory for development.  Once finished, we will upgrade our current site and merge the databases etc.  However, a few of our staff have limited access to the development site and the feedback has been great!  

I would just put it on my live site, but, we use some third party apps that we cannot do without and going live with Beta would mean we have to stop using those apps.

​It's nice to know the users are liking what they see, is there anything they particularly liked? Have any of them disliked it & what were the reasons?

I just ask because a lot of people can be funny about change.

I may give it a go and do a demo version of my forum. I was going to do a fresh install but I figured as well do a test upgrade and see what issues, if any I come across now and learn how to use the software as a clean install doesn't show me everything.

It's just ugh...upgrading lol. I just switched back to IPB and converting took me like 8 hours altogether so I am being lazy as that is a lot of posts, topics and members to upgrade lol But as lazy as I am, I am just as curious to test it on out.

Lazy vs Curiosity, we shall see what wins :P

I really like some of the new bells and whistles, it just feels like the default theme is a little lacklustre when compared with the previous themes that seemed a little more.. Vibrant. Overall though, it's looking to be putting itself out there as a massive leap forward - especially when compared with competitors. 

​Haha yeah, I am waiting for it to work well here first before I even consider it.

​Cool, it's nice to see some set ups. What has been the overall feedback from users on those sites so far?

​Good to hear your members loved it. I can remember when I upgraded another forum software which i will not name here (haha), the users hated it. I just hope they love this change when it happens.

I am still eager to see if anyone can change the look from the default blue & make some big customization changes.

​Not had any bad feedback yet but still early days.

​​I belive this is the reason, you know abiiiit more than other ppls does :P IPS dont support beta upgrades, and if the website goes down, destroys everything you made, they cant help, i would like to upgrade, but im abit afraid that everything will get messed up :P 

​I know risk have beta on live site reason why would NOT recommend everyday person upgrading LIVE site i had no big issues from upgrading just few minor ones and few confusing errors but happy have beta on live site because allows true beta testing.

​You have a site that seems to be focused around IPS so that's reasonable. 

Someone upgrading for instance their gaming site, has no experience with beta (buggy) software and/or has a large userbase unaware of this will turn into frustrated users and people not be using their website anymore. If you are comfortable with all that then by all means, upgrade your production site with non-finished software.

​I would not say best practise to upgrade a forum unless you know what doing and yes my site is 100% focused on invision so good point why moved to 4.0.x at early stage.

​It's nice to know the users are liking what they see, is there anything they particularly liked? Have any of them disliked it & what were the reasons?

I just ask because a lot of people can be funny about change.

​I am sure that as development gets further along and such there may be a thing here or there that someone won't like, it is inevitable.  However, I have yet to come across that.  There are some things that I am not fond of though, such as Preview Post/Message.  That is a feature I use as if my life is dependent upon it!  Even though the new editor is more of a true WYSIWYG editor, I think the preview function needs to return.  

Our biggest issue has been the fact we have had so many planned updates to our site but we decided to hold off for IP4 to prevent having to re-code everything twice.  As one of the ones doing the work, it is good, less work in the long run, but for our members, the wait has been horrible.  However, not that this site here is on IP4, it is only a matter of time!

Archived