Still no "Only search in titles" option

IPBSupport.de

Wonder why there is still no "Only search in titles" option (back) in the search system (or have I missed this now?).

I would not explain again why this is a must have feature for a search system, we have declared this here a few weeks ago and after some tests with the feedback board, my testinstallations and now this live board i can say that this option is still necessary for a search system on a community (board).

Still hope for this feature - or for the first modder which give us a hook/mod for this. :thumbsup:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Please bring it back - again it's one of those decisions where you wonder what the benefit of removing it is.

+1.

We nearly exclusively search the "thread titles" on a few of our forums as they have active Moderator teams who ensures relevant thread titles.  The issue with the current results is that it encourages thread fragmentation, where a discussion takes place on one topic and someone in that same thread interjects with another topic.  If that one post within that thread now comes up in the search results it encourages the next individual to reply to that post despite the topic not being relevant to the thread.  The result is it fragments the discussion in the thread unless the Moderation team now splits that out at every occasion.

It would be nice to see the option returned.

• Management

Are there lots of forum admins out there who asked IPS to remove this? My understanding is that they only remove things like this based on demand from forum owners.

​That is not how software development works :)

If we find that, in real world usage, people are missing the ability to search in titles only we will certainly add that option.

If we find that, in real world usage, people are missing the ability to search in titles only we will certainly add that option.

Ok but there are people here asking for it back and the benefit of not having it isn't clear.​

​But you should think about add it before the final release.

1º - The two software rivals of Invision have search in titles and i hope no one will move from one software to another one because of this, but you will probably lose some.

2º - Admins will not like when their users start to rant on them because of this removed functionality. The rant you are seing on this topic about this, is the rant i will have on my board when i upgrade to IPS4.

• Management

If people were to go through the drama of converting their software over a tiny tiny thing like topic title search limiting then I'm sure they could find bigger things to worry about ;)

If users really do find it difficult we will certainly implement a solution.

Charles,

You said in another topic that the search results are prioritized to show titles results before content so I can appreciate why you don't see a need for search by titles only.  But what about performance ?  Wouldn't a search be much faster and less resource intensive on a large community database if it was not uselessly searching content only to show results that the user is not interested in ?

If people were to go through the drama of converting their software over a tiny tiny thing like topic title search limiting then I'm sure they could find bigger things to worry about ;)

​I think anyone with some sense would convert away from a software without attention to such details. I think it's a very dangerous road to start discarding things based on size, a single bee can be squashed, a hundred can take you down...

I'd also like to note I was trying to look for certain files today and searching wasn't a pleasant experience at all because I was having multiple entries of files I wasnt looking for cluttering up my search results. It's very nice you've a more advanced system now, but in some usecases it's more of a hassle than rudimentary systems such as title based search. Including mine just some time ago. ;)

​Too many tiny things to you have been either removed or changed, creates a bigger problem as users are having to change the way they use the forum. And in most ways it certainly isn't easier.

Archived