Add more pricing options for the projects manager

Makoto

The majority of projects seem to be requested for "under $100", I think it might be helpful to add a few more options here so developers know when someone is expecting to pay a really low price for a project, such as $10 or $15. (Which is well below $100, and the developer may only be willing to take on projects in the $50-$100 price point)

For example,

• Less than $25
  • $25-$50
  • $50-100

Or maybe just less than $50 and $50-$100 to keep it simple, but something to shorten the gap between $1 and $100.

There should also be the option of $0. People may not want to pay anything for the application, and developers could look at that and know straight away to avoid it if they don't want to do work for free, rather than taking the time to contact the person only to find they won't get any money for it.

There should also be the option of $0. People may not want to pay anything for the application, and developers could look at that and know straight away to avoid it if they don't want to do work for free, rather than taking the time to contact the person only to find they won't get any money for it.

"Requesting free project" exists as an option already.

"Requesting free project" exists as an option already.

Thanks for the heads up Michael, didn't know that option existed as I've never seen a project that's listed for free, only "less than $100", nice to know that option exists :)

The majority of projects seem to be requested for "under $100", I think it might be helpful to add a few more options here so developers know when someone is expecting to pay a really low price for a project, such as $10 or $15. (Which is well below $100, and the developer may only be willing to take on projects in the $50-$100 price point)

For example,

• Less than $25
  • $25-$50
  • $50-100

Or maybe just less than $50 and $50-$100 to keep it simple, but something to shorten the gap between $1 and $100.

I think the options are set up the way they are to set expectations and to show average rates. Most developers won't go near a request for $10.

It's bad enough that we get requests with a 5 page description and then an "oh, can you do this for $20?" Really, people? As it is some of the requests in the projects section right now are laughably under-budgeted.

I think the options are set up the way they are to set expectations and to show average rates. Most developers won't go near a request for $10.

It's bad enough that we get requests with a 5 page description and then an "oh, can you do this for $20?" Really, people? As it is some of the requests in the projects section right now are laughably under-budgeted.

Depends on the project though. If it's something that would take a developer half an hour of coding then they would consider a lower value worthwhile for the little amount of work they have to do :)

Depends on the project though. If it's something that would take a developer half an hour of coding then they would consider a lower value worthwhile for the little amount of work they have to do :smile:

Agreed. But most projects are not that quick. And allowing for a $10 option lets people know that $10 is an acceptable amount. It is not. Do you see a $10 option on elance?

Depends on the project though. If it's something that would take a developer half an hour of coding then they would consider a lower value worthwhile for the little amount of work they have to do :)

If it's something that takes that little effort then you're better off just posting on the support board and asking someone how to do it.

Agreed. But most projects are not that quick. And allowing for a $10 option lets people know that $10 is an acceptable amount. It is not. Do you see a $10 option on elance?

This actually did cross my mind, and I think you have a very fair point.

It's just that people already seem to expect this no matter what.

• 3 weeks later...

Those laughable requests are posted by those that don't understand the definition of custom. You're not paying for an app that's being sold to a mass number of people. You're paying an hourly rate for however many hours it takes a developer to create this just for you.

You can certainly negotiate discounts if the developer is allowed to sell it on the Marketplace, but you still need to pony up for something that you want done custom, just for you.

Archived