IPB 4.0 and core detachment.

Kurisu87

Back in the day, I remember one of the big things about ipb 4.0 was that of detaching it from the core. Meaning that blogs, IP.content ect can be installed as sepeterate instances. Is this still the case?

With the projected release Q2 of 2014, when is ipb 4.0 due for release? If close, it will be time for a licence renewal as detachment is something I really am looking forward to!

Many thanks guys!

Signs point to these forums flipping to 4.0 next week sometime? Maybe? Public beta and full release soon after.

With the 3.0 series the forums served as the core with all other add-ons branching off from it. The 4.0 series separates the core components from the forums leaving you free to not use or buy the forums component at all if you like.

Instead of the old way where you *had* to get the forums in order to be able to use Nexus, Blog, Downloads, etc. with 4.0 you just need the Core and then whatever you want to use. Core+Gallery, Core+Nexus, Core+Downloads+Nexus, etc.

http://community.invisionpower.com/forum-460/announcement-30-what-new-in-ips-community-suite-40/

They will not likely be flipping these forums next week. What they will show us, next week, will be a "blank" public preview forum. Which likely will not contain all apps to begin with.

Then they will probarbly move on to a public downloadable beta. Then, after all apps have had some public beta time, they will upgrade these forums. Then the downloadable beta period will probarbly last a little longer or they will move on to RC candidates.

They will not likely be flipping these forums next week. What they will show us, next week, will be a "blank" public preview forum. Which likely will not contain all apps to begin with.

Then they will probarbly move on to a public downloadable beta. Then, after all apps have had some public beta time, they will upgrade these forums. Then the downloadable beta period will probarbly last a little longer or they will move on to RC candidates.

I do remember before 3.x hit the shelves, this support forum had it running for a couple of weeks or so beforehand. I imagine what you say is more likely. A public beta, an ipb community run and then public release.

I do remember before 3.x hit the shelves, this support forum had it running for a couple of weeks or so beforehand. I imagine what you say is more likely. A public beta, an ipb community run and then public release.

Yes, and before that they had preview running at http://ipb3preview.ipslink.com/ . The earliest email I have in my inbox from that address is 31st. December 2008. But it was not the registration email, I can't seem to find that. But I believe that was a bug at the time actually :tongue:

Beta 1: 22. December 2008 - '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

Beta 2: 27. January 2009 - '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

Beta 3: 20. February - '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

Beta 4: 11. March - '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

Beta 5: 23. April - '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

RC 1: 14. May - '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

RC 2: 11. June - '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

Release 3.0.0: 25. June - '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

3.0.1: 16. July - '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

3.0.2: 6. August - '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

and so on...

So the beta phase took approximately 6 months. My personal impression is that they aim on spending less time in the public beta phase this time (as in: they've waited longer to release a beta for version 4 than they did when developed version 3) and try to achieve shorter time intervals between new beta versions aswell. This belief is based on various replies spread across the forum during the last months.

Edit: and yes, I've already tried ips4preview.ipslink.com. No luck :P

Archived