Lower your copyright removal price

Jυra

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are my thoughts on why you should want to keep the IPB logo:

1) I'm actually kind of proud of using IPB as the foundation for my website's community. There's a lot of advanced functionality and new applications that our prior forum software (SMF) just didn't have, and I try to tout all the cool new features of our software as much as I can to our members (private albums in the gallery! status updates! blogs!).

2) You can help convert visitors to your website into IPB enthusiasts. This will help grow the ecosystem of users and developers of IPB. Part of the great thing of IPB (or any forum software) are all the neat applications in the Marketplace and activity on the Support Forums, right? The larger the community we can get to adopt IPB, the better for all users (including yourself!).

3) More people who use IPB means financial stability for IPS, which means they can worry less about revenue stream and price hikes and market share and discounts and more about developing best-in-class software.

Just some thoughts. Take the long-term view and promote IPB, since it's in your best interests too.

It's nowhere remotely near the old price. There was no warning or temporary discount. Just bang! And no special offers. I am not againt price increases but I hope massive leaping does not become a habit.

I thought that they already had a bad habit of increasing prices without any warning.

• Management

I thought that they already had a bad habit of increasing prices without any warning.

I'm curious what companies you're dealing with that notify you of price increases for products/services you don't even own. I've never found this throughout my many travels of life. :smile:

I'm curious what companies you're dealing with that notify you of price increases for products/services you don't even own. I've never found this throughout my many travels of life. :smile:

I own 3 IPB licenses and a branding free license, but apparently that doesn't matter since I haven't renewed them. I can't say that this really makes me want to renew them either.

If more people buy copyright removal then we have to raise the price of the base license as we get less promotion. Choose your poison.

Can I vote for raising the cost of copyright removal if it means we get cheaper licenses and renewals? :P

If more people buy copyright removal then we have to raise the price of the base license as we get less promotion. Choose your poison.

I hope that doesn't include hosted packages? I'd hate to get an increase in the price I'm paying just because other people pay for copyright removal :(

Charles, explain to me how that even makes sense? More people buying copyright removal results in the increase of the core license? That doesn't even make sense because it just means that you're generating more revenue. The only way your idea makes logical sense is if IPS isn't gaining any new licensed users. I have to admit that if I was considering purchasing a license to IPB, that the price of the core license would be prihibitive to me at the current time. I was fortunate enough to have purchased my initial core license back in 2005, when the initial licensing cost was only $69. It has paid off in the long run but $175 now and $500 for the copyright removal? lols

I have no doubt that IPS gains new licensed users on a regular basis and the renewal licensing costs every six months on those of us who keep our licenses up-to-date and active and undoubtedly generating more income to justify an affordable license removal. Personally, it doesn;t matter to me because all you need to do is open the "source" code and the IPS website and company name are branded all over the IPSCS code. Rikki's name is all over the code as well.

I think it wasn;t a smart move to say that the cost has increased for businesses and corporate entities, thereby making it affordable only to the wealthy. :ike:

• Management

I own 3 IPB licenses and a branding free license, but apparently that doesn't matter since I haven't renewed them. I can't say that this really makes me want to renew them either.

Maybe you're misunderstanding how it works. The copyright removal you've purchased is indefinite for the license - you do not need to renew copyright removal and thus the price change has absolutely no impact on you, which leads me back to my original point. :)

Charles, explain to me how that even makes sense? More people buying copyright removal results in the increase of the core license? That doesn't even make sense because it just means that you're generating more revenue. The only way your idea makes logical sense is if IPS isn't gaining any new licensed users. I have to admit that if I was considering purchasing a license to IPB, that the price of the core license would be prihibitive to me at the current time. I was fortunate enough to have purchased my initial core license back in 2005, when the initial licensing cost was only $69. It has paid off in the long run but $175 now and $500 for the copyright removal? lols

I have no doubt that IPS gains new licensed users on a regular basis and the renewal licensing costs every six months on those of us who keep our licenses up-to-date and active and undoubtedly generating more income to justify an affordable license removal. Personally, it doesn;t matter to me because all you need to do is open the "source" code and the IPS website and company name are branded all over the IPSCS code. Rikki's name is all over the code as well.

I think it wasn;t a smart move to say that the cost has increased for businesses and corporate entities, thereby making it affordable only to the wealthy. :ike:

To be clear - your $69 license was an annual leased license. As a courtesy and gesture to our early adopters, we offered the then $149 standard license to the previous annual license customers who were active at the time, free of charge. So, compared to what you SHOULD have paid (had we just chosen not to renew your annual license when it was discontinued) in 2005 and today, the price increase, over almost a decade, is a whopping $26. ($175-149) :)

In regards to your last statement, we don't/didn't really have to say anything. I'm simply being transparent with you folks. It's not a service we desire to sell to the masses and it's priced accordingly. It's targeted and priced to those who require it, not just desire it.

• Management

@Lindy Trust me most people would buy the Copyright Removal if prices were cheaper like on XenFailedForumsShit. If you just trust us maybe you'll make a little more $$.

I don't wish to exhume the stinking corpse of yesterday's debate, but we really don't want to sell more copyright removals. That was the motivation for increasing the cost.

Maybe you're misunderstanding how it works. The copyright removal you've purchased is indefinite for the license - you do not need to renew copyright removal and thus the price change has absolutely no impact on you, which leads me back to my original point. :smile:

My mistake, I thought you were implying that I didn't own any licenses. But you're actually wrong that it has no impact on me, from what I understand, my branding free license has increased in value. Good for me!

But still, I can't help but feel sorry for people who were saving up to get branding free and then found that the price had just jumped through the roof. It really would be nice to have at least a little warning before prices increase, if I remember correctly that used to be the norm years ago... but then it kinda just seemed to stop...

The copyright removal you've purchased is indefinite for the license - you do not need to renew copyright removal and thus the price change has absolutely no impact on you, which leads me back to my original point. :smile:

Countless times I have seen you dimiss what someone says as "not your problem" or "no impact on you." It does have an impact on the person because it is a business practice and something someone considers before buying or renewing. If a company had bad enviromental practices (or something ethical related) in a local area, you wouldn't dismiss it as my problem because I don't live in that area. That's horrible.

But still, I can't help but feel sorry for people who were saving up to get branding free and then found that the price had just jumped through the roof. It really would be nice to have at least a little warning before prices increase, if I remember correctly that used to be the norm years ago... but then it kinda just seemed to stop...

They probably didn't announce this specific price increase for copyright removal because

we really don't want to sell more copyright removals.

Sending out a mass notice that the price was doing to increase would essentially be like IPS announcing a last minute clearance sale on copyright removal options to everyone.

I think the number of people that were slowly saving up for this service over an extended period of time and were just about to purchase copyright removal right after the price was increased is probably considerably few.

And if this was your specific situation, try contact sales and try and work something out like BrianA suggested here;

Please email sales@invisionpower.com , they may be able to help you in this situation.

As I said previously, you have to keep in mind this isn't something IPS even has to offer. If they didn't offer it, this probably wouldn't even be a discussion, because no one here would likely care about the fact that the copyright text exists in the footer. Most individual forum operators I imagine have no reason to care, it's not intrusive in any way.

I kinda do still wish we could still throw our affiliate links down there, but that's a different subject entirely. :tongue:

Countless times I have seen you dimiss what someone says as "not your problem" or "no impact on you." It does have an impact on the person because it is a business practice and something someone considers before buying or renewing. If a company had bad enviromental practices (or something ethical related) in a local area, you wouldn't dismiss it as my problem because I don't live in that area. That's horrible.

In what way do you see IPS as having wronged people, and what would you propose they do to fix or avoid that in the future? Making analogies to environmental disasters doesn't seem particularly productive.

Leave it to Matt to be blunt about it. Personally, I don't care about copyright removal. Never had bothered me before. Reason I commented on the issue was because of the comment that it had more to do with corporate websites that wanted to remove the IPS copyright so users could wouldn't associate both companies together. To corporations, $500 is a drop in the bucket, not even worth batting an eye at. But to us, $500 is a lot of money and not worth the high price tag. :p

I can't see what you're all complaining about to be honest.

The person who had a brand-free licence still has a brand free licence. It doesn't affect that person since they already have the brand-free licence, so the cost increase has no effect.

The only people affected by the increase are those who want to purchase copyright removal. As with all things, this has a monetary value. IPS have valued this and now you, as customers, can choose whether they are willing to pay the price. If you aren't, move on.

As has been said, it's aimed at those who need to remove the copyright link. Big organisations or those with exceptionally big wallets.

Sheesh... Can we get back to spamming "When is IPS4?" threads? It was less annoying.

Archived