IPB "Search" Function

NinjaPP

Ok I don't know if it's just me but I'm having to use Google to find stuff on the IPB forums.
For instance I was trying to find out about the install for "IP. Nexus"

So on IPB I typed in "IP. Nexus" and I got 6 pages with nothing to do with "installing" it

So I retied with: "Installing IP. Nexus" ... again to no avail

So I go to Google and type in: "IP. Nexus" and the 2nd link down is "Installing IP. Nexus"

I'm finding this a lot on IPB and find it annoying that I can't get the results from the site I'm on and have to resort to a search engine to put me back on the site I was originally on

Ok I don't know if it's just me but I'm having to use Google to find stuff on the IPB forums.
For instance I was trying to find out about the install for "IP. Nexus"

So on IPB I typed in "IP. Nexus" and I got 6 pages with nothing to do with "installing" it

So I retied with: "Installing IP. Nexus" ... again to no avail

So I go to Google and type in: "IP. Nexus" and the 2nd link down is "Installing IP. Nexus"

I'm finding this a lot on IPB and find it annoying that I can't get the results from the site I'm on and have to resort to a search engine to put me back on the site I was originally on

I agree, there is a problem with the search engine of ipb, and must be improved.
Happened, also to me, to look for content existing on my site, but not listed using the search engine.
Maybe in v.4.0 will have a proper and good search engine.

Probably because the most searched thing on Google is installing IP. Nexus.

You're going to get the most recent topics/posts/etc. . related to IP. Nexus on these forums, so I wouldn't say it's anything to be upset about as they are 2 different search engines so of course you'll get different results.

Probably because the most searched thing on Google is installing IP. Nexus.

You're going to get the most recent topics/posts/etc. . related to IP. Nexus on these forums, so I wouldn't say it's anything to be upset about as they are 2 different search engines so of course you'll get different results.

Shouldn't matter if it's a most searched thing or not
I should be able to come to IPB.com and type "install IP. nexus" and it should give me the most relevant found topics but instead I have to goto Google and type "install ip.nexus" and it then finds the topic for me on IPB.com

Seems a lengthy process to:

go to ipb.com > try a search > fail > goto google > try a search > get redirected to a topic on IPB.com

http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/documentation/index.html/_/new-docs/ipnexus2/installing-ipnexus-r647

Is this the link you are talking about?

The problem is that this data is not actually stored within the forums, so if you come here and perform a search our software is searching within the forums (and not within secondary databases, in this case from IP.Content). There is a real technological roadblock here that we are indeed working on overcoming, but is not as simple as "make your search engine better". Searching for results from separate database tables is not really easy to do without third party technology such as Sphinx or Lucene, and many clients cannot utilize these sorts of things so we can't rely on them. We will ignore relevancy issues in the default MySQL fulltext searching for now (as well as things like stopwords, stemming, and minimum fulltext word length), as that's not the issue in this case.

http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/documentation/index.html/_/new-docs/ipnexus2/installing-ipnexus-r647

The problem is that this data is not actually stored within the forums, so if you come here and perform a search our software is searching within the forums (and not within secondary databases, in this case from IP.Content). There is a real technological roadblock here that we are indeed working on overcoming, but is not as simple as "make your search engine better". Searching for results from separate database tables is not really easy to do without third party technology such as Sphinx or Lucene, and many clients cannot utilize these sorts of things so we can't rely on them. We will ignore relevancy issues in the default MySQL fulltext searching for now (as well as things like stopwords, stemming, and minimum fulltext word length), as that's not the issue in this case.

Yea I got the link in the end thanks bfarber ;)

I'm not having a dig far from it, I've enjoyed IPB from the beginning, it's just from a person trying to find information from the source it just didn't seem to benefit me, I had to go elsewhere to get brought back here again.
Hopefully you guys find a way around it in 4.0 as would make people life a hell of a lot easier (especially new members)

Can't you make the search date search all databases and IP.Content?

Not easily, no. The data is stored in different database tables so pagination becomes very challenging.

There are some solutions from a technological POV that we are investigating for 4.0. It's not just a simple thing though, as I mentioned before.

Not easily, no. The data is stored in different database tables so pagination becomes very challenging.

There are some solutions from a technological POV that we are investigating for 4.0. It's not just a simple thing though, as I mentioned before.

Can we assume that search is currently not finalised ?

If so , i will like to make a suggestion. Please gather a small team of trusted members and discuss the planned improvements internally so that system can be build perfectly.

Archived