WordPress Integration

Rod.

When choosing forum software, I chose the best I could find. After much research, I went with Invision for obvious reasons. They are the leader, and continue to make their product better each year.

While I understand Invision has their own CMS, it's not the "leader". It's great for some applications, however not most. I still consider WordPress to be the leader in the CMS market. Out of the CMS market, WordPress has 66% marketshare. Joomla comes in second at 10%. The support and development behind WP is amazing, the options for themes, widgets, plugins, etc is nearly endless.

I believe Invision should focus on creating some WP widgets that integrate the two. Perhaps an authentication bridge, and also a way of creating threads from articles, etc. There are a lot of ways to integrate the two leaders. WP has a popular plugin called bbpress, it's their version of a forum. It's not nearly as powerful as IPB, which is why I stick with IPB. Everyone has their niche. Become friends, and you guys could seriously grab even more marketshare.

Just a suggestion...

One could say the same thing about IPS & Facebook, IPS & MediaWiki, IPS and Flickr, IPS and YouTube and so on and so forth. There are many “leaders” and many options to “connect”. And there are already ways to connect IP.Board and WordPress. But still, web software developed by different companies with totally different goals, frameworks and functionalities, will never be able to be fully integrated so you just copy both of them on your server and run two different software tools which look and behave like they are one. That’s not a matter of companies not being “willing to be friends”. ;-)

With Wordpress I personally prefer to keep IPB and WP separate. IPB manages our members and the post and pages are managed by wordpress.

With WP the only thing I need is a plugin/php script that requires a forum topic number and then posts the comments from that topic below a post or page if there are comments. You enter the forum topic number as a custom field in wordpress and the plugin/script inserts the comments it picks from IPB below the post.

That way you do not have to manage users on two places or mirror them. It clearly separates wordpress from IPB. When someone wants to post a comment they are sent to the Forums. If anybody thinks they can write a script like that, pm me because I ll pay for that. I had people write scripts in the past but it could not mirror the look/style from the forums. I still wish there was a clean simple way to show comments from IPB in WP and I can t believe only big corporate accounts are able to get this done

When choosing forum software, I chose the best I could find. After much research, I went with Invision for obvious reasons. They are the leader, and continue to make their product better each year.

While I understand Invision has their own CMS, it's not the "leader". It's great for some applications, however not most. I still consider WordPress to be the leader in the CMS market. Out of the CMS market, WordPress has 66% marketshare. Joomla comes in second at 10%. The support and development behind WP is amazing, the options for themes, widgets, plugins, etc is nearly endless.

I believe Invision should focus on creating some WP widgets that integrate the two. Perhaps an authentication bridge, and also a way of creating threads from articles, etc. There are a lot of ways to integrate the two leaders. WP has a popular plugin called bbpress, it's their version of a forum. It's not nearly as powerful as IPB, which is why I stick with IPB. Everyone has their niche. Become friends, and you guys could seriously grab even more marketshare.

Just a suggestion...

Have you seen this?

http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/6089-wordpress-ipsconnect/

Archived