Notifications and IP Board 4.0

Izaya Orihara

Hi, I am not asking when IP board 4 is going to be released but i am curious about one feature that is actually the only thing that would make this already great software 100 percent perfect for me.

Notifications....I remember asking about this(I think) but then again I may not have so I'll just ask now/again(Sorry lol)

1. Coming from xenforo to IP board months ago has been a wonderful experience but the one annoyance i face is the Notifications. When someone posts a status and you reply to it...then 20 other people reply to said status you get 20 replies for EACH reply.

The same actually happens when you follow a thread.

I'd much rather get one notification Per thread or status reply but it of course notify you that others may have replied(Similar to how Facebook does it or xenforo...which is probably the only thing from Xenforo i miss is the notifications)

2. As well as it would be awesome when you get a notification about being mentioned in a post or quoted that people can know what the thread title is the notification is pertaining to without needing to actually click on the notification and go to the thread.

Are there any plans to have an improved Notification System in 4.0?

What if a thread is really long and you're quoted in two pretty far apart locations in the thread?

That's a possible what if but it still doesn't negate the fact that having a notification from literally every person who replies to a thread(especially on big forums) is a bit daunting and overwhelming.

Besides if someone quotes you that is a bit different since you'd get two different notifications(one from each person). At least that is how it is on Xenforo.

That's a possible what if but it still doesn't negate the fact that having a notification from literally every person who replies to a thread(especially on big forums) is a bit daunting and overwhelming.

Besides if someone quotes you that is a bit different since you'd get two different notifications(one from each person). At least that is how it is on Xenforo.

You can use the "only when not online" notification type for threads which will send you just one notification and tell you "there may be more replies since this was sent".

2013-11-07_0917.png

We will be looking to improve notifications greatly in 4.0.

You can use the "only when not online" notification type for threads which will send you just one notification and tell you "there may be more replies since this was sent".

2013-11-07_0917.png

We will be looking to improve notifications greatly in 4.0.

But does the only when not online mean that if the member is online they won't get any notifications?

But does the only when not online mean that if the member is online they won't get any notifications?

Yes, if the user is online a notification would not be issued with that notification method. If they are not online, only one notification is sent until they visit the site again.

I know you said notifications are improved greatly in 4.0. I just want to confirm a scenario common to other platforms has been addressed in 4.0. Many people want two choices when it comes to email notifications. Either an email for every reply, which works fine. Or one email per day, per subscribed topic with updates. This has never worked properly... going back to 2.x. IIRC it did work correctly in 1.x.

Archived