Safari Push Notifications

CircaCitadel

We would likely wait until there is more browser support first - we don't typically spend much time focusing on a feature that only a single browser (and one which only has around 5% of the market share at that) supports.

I think browser-based push notifications would be an interesting feature to make use of, once there is wider support for it.

The new notifications system will more than likely only ever be supported on OSX as its an OSX feature that Mavericks is now allowing websites to use. Web based push notifications work on Safari and Chrome for sure but those are done via some javascript and the webpage sending it has to be open. Cant really see how IPS could implement the new notification system for anyone buying their software though as it requires an iOS or OSX dev account with apple ($99/year) to access the APNs that sends those notifications. Unless apple is eventually going to allow access to only that for websites for free eventually.

… as it requires an iOS or OSX dev account with apple ($99/year) to access the APNs that sends those notifications.

If IP.Board would support it, I might be willing to register with Apple and pay that $99 for my site.

It looks like a good way to get people to come back to your site (without cluttering their email account).

I just signed up for my first site with this feature: http://www.macrumors.com/push/

By the way: Here is the description of the new feature and how it can be implemented:

https://developer.apple.com/notifications/safari-push-notifications/

As mentioned, if it only works with Safari, which has less than 5% of the browser market share at this time, it's not something we would spend much time investigating.

There seems to be some confusion - Apple offers their notification service, but there is also an HTML5 spec that supports notifications (e.g.: http://www.html5rocks.com/en/tutorials/notifications/quick/ ) which Rikki was referring to - this works differently than the notifications Apple supports in Safari only but is more widely supported across browsers so is something we can look into (and is what Rikki was referring to).

Two different things really

If IP.Board would support it, I might be willing to register with Apple and pay that $99 for my site.

It looks like a good way to get people to come back to your site (without cluttering their email account).

I just signed up for my first site with this feature: http://www.macrumors.com/push/

Agreed.

Even the web notifications would be nice.

As mentioned, if it only works with Safari, which has less than 5% of the browser market share at this time, it's not something we would spend much time investigating.

There seems to be some confusion - Apple offers their notification service, but there is also an HTML5 spec that supports notifications (e.g.: http://www.html5rocks.com/en/tutorials/notifications/quick/ ) which Rikki was referring to - this works differently than the notifications Apple supports in Safari only but is more widely supported across browsers so is something we can look into (and is what Rikki was referring to).

Two different things really

Google Chrome support push notifications for over a year now.

Google Chrome support push notifications for over a year now.

Please see my second paragraph about confusion. :smile:

This: http://www.html5rocks.com/en/tutorials/notifications/quick/

is not the same as

This: https://developer.apple.com/notifications/safari-push-notifications/

The first one we can use (it is supported by at least Safari, Chrome and Firefox, perhaps others), although there is semi-limited value because the site needs to be open for the notification to work and we would need to use it intelligently so as to ensure it does not become annoying. The second one we cannot use, as it is only supported in OSX, requires an apple developer account, etc. In other words, the audience that this would be useful to is extremely limited.

These inventions feel redundant with RSS feeds.

Well, you can't force people to like RSS feeds. I've been using them for years but the system feels like it is phasing out. Google dropped its RSS service, Safari removed the RSS button, Twitter feeds don't offer RSS anymore and so on.

I don't like it, but RSS is certainly not the future of getting notified about news on a website.

• Management

I think opentype is correct.

With RSS you have to do something. Get a reader, subscribe to feeds, and (first of course) even know what "RSS" means. That requires a certain level of skill that the average user may not have.

With push notifications it's easier. You go to a site, a box pops up asking if you want push notifications, yes/no, and done.

I just want push notifications to my phone. NOT emails. Actual notifications that pop up in the notifications bar. I understand that IPS failed miserably at making a full mobile app but maybe they could make a central mobile app that handles notifications only. I'd download the app and log in to various forums with it and the app would handle all notifications from those forums and provide me with links to content that open up my browser app. That'd be nice.

With Tapatalk or similar services that’s already possible. I get push notifications for replies, likes, PMs from my IP.Board community through Tapatalk.

I know. But I don't want Tapatalk. I want an IPS application.

It's surprisingly hard to convince certain admins to install tapatalk on their board. Not to mention that it's not allowed for IPS' community in the cloud option.

It's surprisingly hard to convince certain admins to install tapatalk on their board.

It's hard to convince admins of any forum to do anything. They're too stuck up. I like it not from IPS because it has a chance at being bigger than something for just one forum software platform. Push notifications are missing a ton of things RSS feeds can do, so I don't see them going anywhere anytime soon.

• 4 months later...

I know you guys are making a final push on IPB 4, but has there been any more though on push notifications? I've been reading a lot about the importance of forming habits quickly with new members, and being able to send notifications... somehow, either with an app or using web notifications, would be really incredible.

• 2 months later...

It's hard to convince admins of any forum to do anything. They're too stuck up.

Nothing like generalising, eh?

How many times have you stayed up all night running updates at a time that doesn't impact your userbase as much?

Some admins care about their forums, I've been running mine for 10 years this year (all on IPB).

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Daz

• 6 months later...

Archived