Forum icons

cheatmaster30

I already mentioned this a long, long while ago, but I guess I'll reiterate it again now... we seriously need forum/category icons as a default feature in the next major version of Invision Power Board.

In case you don't know what they are, they're basically forum specific icons you display next the forum name/description on the board index and by sub forum names on the forum topic listing, and look a bit like this:

gaiaonlineforumicons.jpg

Or this:

post-157768-0-19257400-1380740149_thumb.

Or this (from my own site):

post-157768-0-54821000-1380740146_thumb.

They're a common feature on many forums (and a lot of big boards), they've been available as a modification for pretty much every script under the sun, and I honestly think they're commonplace enough they should be a built in feature rather than an add on at this point in time.

Heck, I even mocked up an image showing what settings for one could ideally look like in the IPB 3.4 interface:

forumiconmockup.png' alt='' class='ipsIm" alt="forumiconmockup.png">

I hope IPB considers them as a feature and adds them to their upcoming IPB 4 software, since a lot of sites pretty much can't go without them any more and they work wonders in making a forum's layout much better and more friendlier.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny I came across this thread looking for how others might be doing this...unfortunately it's not a built in option.

cheatmaster30, how did you accomplish it in your own forum? You got rid of the read/unread icons entirely and just put your own in there explicitly? Or do you have a table where you have key/value pairs between forum_id and icon path?

Funny I came across this thread looking for how others might be doing this...unfortunately it's not a built in option.

cheatmaster30, how did you accomplish it in your own forum? You got rid of the read/unread icons entirely and just put your own in there explicitly? Or do you have a table where you have key/value pairs between forum_id and icon path?

I used this free modification:

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

Hope that helps.

Archived