IPS - Jack of All Trades, Master of Two

mat206

No, I did not. I can't see any point in evaluating a third party product that costs more than my current product and offers me no advantages over and above the product that I am currently using.

What does concern me though, is that some QA testers might not test IPS products thoroughly which potentially leaves users with releases with bugs. Nothing personal of course Mert. Just a genuine concern. I am sure your QA testing on other items is top notch.

If IPS announce in the next month or two that products such as IP.Content and IP.Nexus are being dropped then I will certainly have to look at Magento along with Xenforo, but until that happens I can see no reason for the majority of users to switch or even hope that IPS drops some of the suite.

The only product that could be merged with another is IP.Blog, which IP.Content could probably handle easily. Maybe that is why there aren't any public blogs here for testing purposes now.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Magento Community edition is completely free and a friendly suggestion.

If you have no information about what others are voicing their thoughts , you should either read and learn or shut up...

I will ignore your request to shut up...

I would rather use a full product than a limited one with no support. Their supported products are not free.

Magento Community edition is completely free and a friendly suggestion.

If you have no information about what others are voicing their thoughts , you should either read and learn or shut up...

That really is a silly post to make, there was no need for it.

Why not just keep things polite, if can't do that then do not make a post ... simples

I would rather use a full product than a limited one with no support. Their supported products are not free.

Of course it is your choice however if you are targetting income from your e-commerce solution, you shouldn't be scared to invest on support plan. Of course everyone has different plans. However the main point is as of today Nexus is not a e-commerce solution. It is just a small shop for a board.

To me it comes down to this.. we have this nicely integrated shiny ecommerce platform in Nexus, but you look across the pond at other major ecommerce platforms that evolve at a faster rate and are feature-rich right out of the box and you get envious. Nexus gives some basic ecommerce capabilities which is great for what it is.. but it would be awesome to have a few "official" integrations with other major products (like Magento perhaps) made by IPS.

• 2 weeks later...

I just came to add a question regarding 4.0... are we there yet?

But seriously, as 2014 creeps closer with no word as to even beta releases, I shudder at the thought of another company that rushed products out the door and ending up flopping.... twice, the second time being totally fatal.

The next point - IPB is mostly a one trick pony. It would be best to focus on a two trick pony and move on from there. Other than the forum, the rest almost never gets used. I spent loads of time ingesting IP.C - arguably the most mature module - to discover that it was extremely powerful but not usable in a real world sense.

(1) You couldn't properly format text for the web, e.g. header tags

(2) Image management, insertion and placement was difficult - at best

(3) Teaching a member how to use the system was terribly difficult

(4) Let's not even get into the horror show that is URL handling and breadcrumb management (sluggo and the fake URL in the tree to the content home)

I'd prefer, as stated strongly by greenlinks, to do TWO things VERY well since they are essential to the core functionality and the holy grail that most people desire when they want something more than a forum -- a forum for community and a well integrated CMS that provides a seamless connection between the posting of articles vs. posting of discussion topics in a forum. It's the magazine + discussion forum.

Now while I'd love the downloads module, gallery, etc. I would gladly rely upon third party developers for these extras. I'd love for IPB to have something eventually but never, ever at the expense of not having the above two modules 110% awesome along with super clean SEO, light loads, responsive designs that make this the best of breed for the limited (but very expansive) purpose that it is.

So... are were there yet?

*Sigh* Wordpress was an example of a more full-featured app.. bad code or not it is vastly more supported. IP.Nexus is an example of an underdeveloped app which hasn't quite been able to keep up with other major shopping carts nor probably will. That's just fact. I've seen the list of IP.Nexus requests and I can easily match it up with how many were fulfilled.. that forum makes my point.

I still think core needs a developer version with no installed apps and a license for development use only that is free so the developer pool can be opened up. Nothing you state though ever addresses the issue at hand.. Google has a killer app in Gmail just like IPS has a killer app in their forums. Google was able to sell a hell of a lot of google apps accounts based on having a system that integrates a lot of widely used business software.

IPS needs developers to support their platform. I honestly don't care much about the custom CSS framework other than it makes it easier to get themes. The bigger sin is that IPS never deprecates parts of their API (from minor to minor version) or from 3.X to 4.0 aren't bootstrapping the 3.x API in any way. Why is it par for the course that everything breaks so consistently? I recall stuff like the IP.Content callbacks being removed entirely without so much as a mention or official replacement until you stepped up and wrote one (ironically the removal was also based on your suggestion).

I like when things are easy to use.. interchangeable.. use open standards.. I like APIs that are stable and represent an actual solid foundation to develop on. And I like when the developer pool is larger and I can easily get a person to develop for me. I like more apps, *especially* more quality apps.. as an app developer I like a larger customer base to sell to. You seem to have the attitude that this stuff is just unfixable.. and yes, I would expect IPS to maintain and debug a select few integrations because IPS has a name and brand that you can trust.. and that's important when you are making business decisions.

Hopefully with 4.0 they bang out a stable API and can ensure that no API functionality will break minor version to minor version unless it is for security purposes.

I also developed and ran a "Frankensite" for many years and I will agree totally that making 3rd party programs and scripts run together is challenging and sometimes very limiting. As a webmaster that is not a programmer by any stretch of the imagination there are many people like myself who can effectively use software and put websites together but not necessarily understand the software. We can easily get into trouble when it comes to playing around with integration and customizations. Furthermore, I came from UBB Threads which I LOVED using however it is all but dead... it was a daunting decision to abandon UBB but it was necessary. I searched and researched my options and landed here at IPB BECAUSE of all the available apps that seamlessly integrate and look like they belong. The word "gestalt" was used perfectly here.

There are many features in IPS I never had available to me and yes there are some I wish we had. I love the fact that IPB and all of it's apps appear to constantly be in development. One thing that OP's post brings out that users like myself fear is that will future changes in the software create difficulties for us "less technical" users? I am new here and I am still learning the software. If Version 4 comes out will all the apps and hooks and customizations throw my world into a tizzy? Sure, I can continue to run version 3.X for the foreseeable future but I would love to be able to take advantage of improvements and new features and functionality.

I don't think you have anything to fear. We are working on simplifying and making our software *easier* to use, not vice-versa. While we care greatly about our development community and spend a lot of time and effort trying to provide the tools they need to work with our software effectively, our core market is of course end users who are not technically inclined, so likewise our first focus is on making sure your experience with our software is positive.

Archived