Optional SSL in 4.0 ?

Jelly Belly™

• 2 weeks later...

We were once able to mod this into our community and ran for several years with the option for members to switch between ssl or non ssl if they wanted with a click of the mouse at the top of the page where we displayed a small padlock icon too that would lock and unlock depend on their http choice, but then invision did an upgrade and when trying to implement it again we were told it wasn't only not possible but apparently never had been but history tells otherwise for our community.

Agreed again as this is something I have been asking for to be in the settings for years now and other forum software has had it for just as long.

We were once able to mod this into our community and ran for several years with the option for members to switch between ssl or non ssl if they wanted with a click of the mouse at the top of the page where we displayed a small padlock icon too that would lock and unlock depend on their http choice, but then invision did an upgrade and when trying to implement it again we were told it wasn't only not possible but apparently never had been but history tells otherwise for our community.

Agreed again as this is something I have been asking for to be in the settings for years now and other forum software has had it for just as long.

I've edited my conf_global.php to allow either but it falls down slightly in a few places due to server paths and urls

The next version of IP.Chat service will always use SSL for all clients.

Thats great to hear but doesn't actually answer my question of whether optional SSL will be implemented or even considered in IPb 4.0
As I already said, lots of other sites already offer this option, you can toggle SSL on or off in your account at facebook etc and I'd really like to be able to offer my members the same choice, even more so now that IP Chat is going to be SSL :smile:

Archived