Option to require real names in registration

KT Walrus

Please consider supporting real name (w/ birthday) registration option built in (rather than relying on custom fields) in 4.0. Could have surname/firstnames table to provide name completion and set members_display_name to "Firstnames Surname". Also, change sorts on name to use "surname, firstnames" even though members_display_name is "Firstnames Surname".

For many forums, it makes more sense to require people use their real names instead of aliases.

As there's no way to verify if the name is real or not, couldn't you just change the name of the field on the registration form (and in the UserCP) from "Display Name" to "Real Name"? Outside of having one field instead of two (which is better IMO because it accounts for Jr/Sr/III/etc. and allows for other languages where there may be a different convention as to first/last and/or if the middle name is used), I don't see what else would be different.

As there's no way to verify if the name is real or not, couldn't you just change the name of the field on the registration form (and in the UserCP) from "Display Name" to "Real Name"? Outside of having one field instead of two (which is better IMO because it accounts for Jr/Sr/III/etc. and allows for other languages where there may be a different convention as to first/last and/or if the middle name is used), I don't see what else would be different.

Obviously I can add custom fields but having Username be the user's full name doesn't work well. The Username is designed to be both the login id and the initial Display Name. The username is required to be unique (unless I've missed a setting) so that doesn't work well for Real Names which aren't unique. Finally, Real Names really need to be 2 fields (at least) and any SQL that currently sorts on Display Name needs to sort Real Names by their Surname first and Firstnames last.

Really, it would be better for the base software to support Real Names as an option and use only email addresses as the login ids and Real Names as the Display Names (with appropriate sorting).

Why not just add the fields you need (you can add two if you needed, forename and surname), make it/them show on the registration screen and make it/them required.

I can't see a real valid reason to be able to sort on those. :huh:

The members list is the most important list to sort names by surname, firstname. I've implemented proper support for this, but I still think it should be built directly into IPB. The whole handling of username/member's display name is somewhat confused and I think 4.0 should take a relook at this to straighten out the concept. When using Real Names, the username field is mostly useless (most people these days expect to log in with their email address). So, I would drop log in by username as an option and have the registration form either provide Real Names or Aliases (i.e., Usernames) as defined by an admin option. The Real Name support could parse a single Full Name field (to determine the surname and suffix like Sr., Jr., etc) but this doesn't matter as much to me as just having IPB built in support for Real Names.

Why not just add the fields you need (you can add two if you needed, forename and surname), make it/them show on the registration screen and make it/them required.

I can't see a real valid reason to be able to sort on those. :huh:

I 'have added the Custom Profile Field required since 2005. This doesn't solve. I've added CPF as public into profile of members, but the search option doesn't search into CPF

When you search JOHN DOE, and this is into a CPF, you will have no results.

I made this into the attention of IPB staff a lot of time ago. ( ... so I do not remember where :smile: )

bye

gianpiero

We ask our members to make their Username as Firstname Lastname

Not sure how IPB could do this besides asking people to fill in two fileds for Name and Surname and then making the username a combinaison of the two.

But being able to use names would indeed be great ESPECIALLY when people have the same names which is something that has always bothered me with message boards.

Why can t John Smith with the password 123 be logged in account A and John Smith with the password 234 be logged in in the account B?

Or more to the point how would one achieve this or why is it not possible to have same username and have different accounts?

You would have a

John Smith account 000001 and

John Smith account 000002

Why can t John Smith with the password 123 be logged in account A and John Smith with the password 234 be logged in in the account B?

I don't mind using email addresses for log in (which are unique) and Real Names for display. If you try to allow non-unique log in username (like using Real Names for log in), you have to make sure that the username/password pairs are unique). I think this is doable with a customized loginauth module, but since most big websites use email addresses for log in, I don't think it is necessary to go this far.

As I commented before, I think IPB 4.0 should just drop the Username log in option and only support email address log in. Then, supporting Display Name (instead of Username) with the option for the Display Name to be Real Names only (which means more than one input field for the name) would be straight forward.

Search does cover custom fields already.

Dear bfarber

in my IPB the Search doesn't cover custom fields.

I've tested with any kind of setting of CPF: public, private, viewable into profile ...

If you are sure ( excuse me for this if ... :smile: ) are you able to give me an example of forum where I can test ?

Or provide me some suggestion about the setting of CPF to make search working ?

• 1 year later...

I would heartily second a more robust use of Firstname/Lastname. I am part of a professional academic organization actively looking in to adopting Invision for its community suite, but I am anticipating some possible complaints concerning how member names/the Member list works. they will obviously all want to use proper names, but the Member List as yet doesn't allow for sorting according to lastname-firstname. So one would look up Jane Smith under J instead of S, which (at least for our group, if not many others) is quite counterintuitive in a Members directory. I know you can still search for people in the Search field, but for people browsing the directory it's still a bit annoying. So I would definitely recommend some work in that area.

Unless I'm missing something or there's a humble mod out there that can do exactly this? hmm.png

Keep up the great work, Invision!

Well, just have your users select their real name as their username. It's really not that difficult. Instead of them using a handle, just require them to use their real name. I don't think this requires a change to the registration method.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived