First spam PM - next steps?

TracyIsland

Suggestion:

I think one way around this would be a new group setting a "minimum requirement to send PM's", either days registered or better still maybe post count.

It would be best if it did not effect replying to PM's received (so they could reply to someone else just not start a fresh new conversation) or perhaps have an 'exemption' setting where they can PM a certain group or ID number, ie moderators / admins etc.

I also thought about Captcha for it but if the spammer is already registered then that's little more than inconvenience for genuine members so not a great idea imo.

Suggestion:

I think one way around this would be a new group setting a "minimum requirement to send PM's", either days registered or better still maybe post count.

It would be best if it did not effect replying to PM's received (so they could reply to someone else just not start a fresh new conversation) or perhaps have an 'exemption' setting where they can PM a certain group or ID number, ie moderators / admins etc.

I also thought about Captcha for it but if the spammer is already registered then that's little more than inconvenience for genuine members so not a great idea imo.

I am in 100% agreement. There is a hook by NenaDice that requires a certain amount of posts in order to send a PM. However, to your point, if someone is sent a legit PM, they cannot reply unless they have also reached that same post count.

I have my hook set to require that 5 posts are made before they can use the PM system.

I have a Trial Member group on my forums. They can only receive and reply to PM's, they can't start them.

Their first few posts require moderator approval as well.

The member is automatically upgraded to regular member status after making 7 approved posts.

This system has worked well for me. I have had absolutely no spam in years. No IPS spam service, no StopForumSpam nonsense.

One concern with that (built in at least) is that a lot of times a new user might want to PM an admin or moderator for help right after registering - such a restriction (limit PMs until x number of posts) would probably need to account for that common case.

One concern with that (built in at least) is that a lot of times a new user might want to PM an admin or moderator for help right after registering - such a restriction (limit PMs until x number of posts) would probably need to account for that common case.

I sort of considered that although I've no idea how practical it would be to do. :smile: i.e.: exempt groups they are allowed to PM. Some form of notice on the 'compose' form would be needed I guess. That way if they do start using the messenger and it is a spammer the first staff member to see it would zap their account.

That's the only problem I've raised with doing that on here. I don't really know what to suggest avoiding that. It's the same case scenario when you prevent a new members group from starting PM topics.

I'm thinking of tweaking the settings of a mod I have that welcomes new members via a PM to send messages from my account again and allow members to reply to the PM's.

Archived