When is IPB 4.0 ?

Markus Becker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I obviously don't know - but considering the possibility of unforeseen bugs, that could possibly delay the beta tests. The current release platform 1.Xs (1.5.X and below) had problems with shipping, subscription, and discounts...just to name a few. I'm wary of Nexus 4.0 because of this.

Check this out:

Danger. Do not use Nexus 1.5.0. You can't process transactions with physical products.

http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/bugs.html/_/ip-nexus/danger-do-not-use-nexus-150-you-cant-process-transactions-with-physical-products-r37913

That was a bug that would have been caught if someone spent the time to process a test transaction on a physical product before releasing 1.5.0. It was disconcerting to experience such a bug in 1.5.0, and that experience has taught me to never test a new version of Nexus until it has matured. However, I feel that's not always a viable option since some of these bugs will remain until someone that actually uses the software to its potential reports the errors.

There was a discount bug that I caught which should not have existed for so long if there were tests or real world cases of it occurring.

I seriously think IPS needs to quantify all the user interactions that exist in Nexus, and iterate through them for bug testing. This will take a long time, but it is the price to pay for quality software. A user experience engineer is needed to work out all these issues.

Guys,

IP.Board 3.4.6 is, I hope you agree, the best community software available and a product we're really proud of. We're going to support 3.4 for a while to come and we naturally encourage third party designers and developers to do the same - though of course we have no control over whether they follow our advice or not, and I don't think we can really be held accountable for that.

As great as 3.4 is, IPS has never been a company to rest on it's laurels and we're really excited about 4.0. We want to get it out as much as you, and perhaps I would even argue that, having been the person working on it since day 1, nobody is as excited as I am for it's release. We've loved showing you our progress along the way and getting your thoughts, as we always do during development. It's been completely invaluable. This is why we announced 4.0 when work started on it. There was no secret hidden agenda or unfortunate circumstances that forced us to or any of the other silly suggestions bouncing around. We always have kept our clients up to speed with the goings on here, far more than any other software company I could name.

We had hoped that we would release a beta by the end of 2013, unfortunately this didn't happen, however, I would like to point out that today is January 12th, 2014. The way some people are taking, you'd think we'd told you 4.0 was going to be out in 2010!

We're working really hard to make 4.0 the best it can be, and we have absolutely no intention of rushing development to release an immature product. If you'd like a company that behaves like that, I know a really good one I could tell you about. I have absolutely no doubt that when it is released, you and your community will love using it as much as we have enjoyed working on it.

We will continue to keep you up to date with our progress as we go - we've got some awesome stuff which will be ready to show you soon.

As always, if you have any questions about 4.0, fire away - I love talking about it :tongue:

Exactly this. I can understand why people are getting disappointed/annoyed with the unannounced delay.

Indeed, there was a lot of that. Even encouraging people to buy the software now and they'll be able to upgrade to 4.0 when it's out. For some that is looking like it may include 2 renewals before then, depending on your addons, that can be a lot before they actually go the product they were waiting for in my opinion. I'll personally continue waiting to renew and purchase a second license until it's actually out.

All I know is I'm happy with the current version having just moved to IPB from vBulletin.

I have been running vB on my site for a long time and the 3.x series was great. Their switch to 4 was a disaster but I bought it thinking they would get the bugs out. It only got worse until finally the 4.2.x series stopped working shortly after my site, along with many others that were using it, got hacked last September. I got the forum back up and running but then out of the blue it stopped working. vB support was crap - telling me it had to be my webhost. So my webhost checked everything and said, "tell vB to let us know what we need to check that may be causing this." vB support said they didn't know because there is no reason it shouldn't be working. I was the only member with that problem so it had to be my webhost.

Long story short, nothing got changed on my server and IPB installed and works great. Looking forward to 4.0 but I'm pretty pleased that my community is back up and running after 3 months of vB support nightmare - all thanks to IPB. Keep up the great work!

I do agree that IPB is the best forum software out there and I hope that 4.0 adds to that. My one and long standing complaint which I hope 4.0 addresses is the Search function which I think is a very weak point and hope is part of the ground up redesign. I would love to get rid of Sphinx and get a good fully functional search function which will work with terms like "C-160".

guys 4.0 is not ready yet let alone VB not even in the same league as IPB no forum software is. VB is junk not worth talking about.

xenfono which looks nice but yet again don't compare with IPB and ill explain why. IP.Content can do anything You want it to do with Blocks,database's,articles,templates,Pages, simple fact nothing on the market even comes close to comparing to The beast of IP.Content. plus with the great 3rd party coders that are here IPB is the place to be. My point IPB is so good because they don't rush there software they take there time and do it right unlike VB IPB does things the right way so just be happy with what we got and wait for 4.0

As always, if you have any questions about 4.0, fire away - I love talking about it :tongue:

Are any of the products going to get new features? Everything we've heard so far is rewrites and streamlining of existing processes.

Mark, it depends on what you mean by support. Just as IPS won't go fixing bug fixes for a past version, when a new version ahs that bug fixed, I am sure not going to be going back retroactively fixing the same bugs I fixed in later versions. IPS would just say DL the newest version.

Yeah. I've heard this happen often in this forum.

when will it be ready?

come on you know someone was gonna ask that :tongue:

Are any of the products going to get new features? Everything we've heard so far is rewrites and streamlining of existing processes.

wasn't @mentions new to v4 ?

@mentions built in would be nice even though i bought the 3rd party hook for it from Saiga and it works great without any problems still would be nice all built in

I don't remember even reading about mentions. Is it related to social media, or mentions in the forums? I always thought we need an easy way to get to posts on the forums where our username is mentioned.

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

Thanks. Well, I hope they then have a way to get to a list of posts where someone did mention you. When I mentioned (ha) my idea in my last post, I was thinking at that time it would have to have a way of marking them to work effectively, and with them using the @ symol, that would take care of that part, so I hope they do make a place which will show links to all mentioned posts.

suppose it could be said the uncoupling from forums as the core is in itself a feature, ability for any of the apps to be run by themselves w/o needing forums installed is pretty useful to me.

Meh. I already know how to run a different app as the main one and make forums completely invisible to the public side.

I want to hear about actual features. Like multi tags searching so that I can look up gallery images that fit the criteria of two or more tags. Or the ability to edit gallery images within the gallery. Cropping, rotating, simple editing. The ability to drag and drop images for gallery upload. Or a bigger one, when people post images those images get uploaded to your site and the urls in the post are changed to the ones on your own server so that content doesn't disappear on you. And how about being able to search through multiple apps at once? How about form templates in IP.Content?

IPS 4.0 is a code rewrite. Everything is recoded from scratch and they're taking the opportunity to streamline and make more sense out of existing processes. But I'd also like to know if there's actually going to be anything new in Gallery or Content.

Absolutely. Though a lot of the stuff we're doing is modernisation of the codebase and design, and in many places doing the same thing in a much better way (everything from simple stuff like changing the category selection when submitting an IP.Downloads tool to a widget supporting searching for categories by name, to complete overhauls like a responsive design instead of a separate mobile theme and >gorgeous new emails and a >vastly improved uploader*), there will be lots of completely new features. Just a few of what we've already announced includes:

There'll be more, especially once we get into individual apps.

​* Which is especially relevant given certain events that happened this week elsewhere.

Absolutely. Though a lot of the stuff we're doing is modernisation of the codebase and design, and in many places doing the same thing in a much better way (everything from simple stuff like changing the category selection when submitting an IP.Downloads tool to a widget supporting searching for categories by name, to complete overhauls like a responsive design instead of a separate mobile theme and >gorgeous new emails and a >vastly improved uploader*), there will be lots of completely new features. Just a few of what we've already announced includes:

There'll be more, especially once we get into individual apps.

​* Which is especially relevant given certain events that happened this week elsewhere.

I guess I'm just being a prick and wanting to know what new features will come to IP.Gallery. :P

The main change lang needs is to not have to make a clone of the default lang set before you can even edit what will appear. That means if someone wants to use English, still, but simply wants to use different words to describe things, they can't simply edit their default set, they have to make an entirely new set just to change the words (or else edit them in the xml file every time they upgrade).

Archived