When is IPB 4.0 ?

Markus Becker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Management

Well so much for that....

Let's be fair, Charles gave an answer that was based on his best guess at that time with the information he had. We do not work to a specific launch date. That's a horrible idea unless you want very unstable incomplete software (like one of our competitors is famous for).

Let's be fair, Charles gave an answer that was based on his best guess at that time with the information he had. We do not work to a specific launch date. That's a horrible idea unless you want very unstable incomplete software (like one of our competitors is famous for).

Famous for? I dont think that level of publicity for bad products is even close LOL

I've been holding off on updating parts of my forum in anticipation of the V4. I do share the concern regarding the hooks, add-on's and skins though. While I can personally wait, it would be fantastic to have an alpha version available for the valued skinners and developers because they need to evaluate the work effort for their areas as well. Even if 4.0 were to come out today, I could only alpha test it in my test area, as there would be a considerable amount of time before it could be used on my forum because primarily the skin, but the other applications we rely on.

I've been holding off on updating parts of my forum in anticipation of the V4. I do share the concern regarding the hooks, add-on's and skins though. While I can personally wait, it would be fantastic to have an alpha version available for the valued skinners and developers because they need to evaluate the work effort for their areas as well. Even if 4.0 were to come out today, I could only alpha test it in my test area, as there would be a considerable amount of time before it could be used on my forum because primarily the skin, but the other applications we rely on.

We have clarified multiple times that third party developers will get access to early betas so they can help provide code-level feedback and get started on updating their work as early as possible. We're not at that stage yet, but we do have every intention of involving our developer community as soon as feasible. We have several other plans to involve them in updating to 4.0 as soon as possible as well (such as developer chats to help explain new concepts and how to do certain things). :)

It is almost 2 years since 4.0 was announced and it's fast approaching a year since it was first publicly confirmed that development was underway.

There is still about 7 pages of bug and "Will Fix - IP.Suite 4.0" reports in the bug tracker, and all of this despite the fact that there have been no major releases in over a year.

4.0 will need to be something amazing if it is going to take longer than this.

It is almost 2 years since 4.0 was announced and it's fast approaching a year since it was first publicly confirmed that development was underway.

There is still about 7 pages of bug and "Will Fix - IP.Suite 4.0" reports in the bug tracker, and all of this despite the fact that there have been no major releases in over a year.

When it's ready and well when they say something about it.

You either have mathematic or memory issues. You should try to identify which one is the issue causer and try to resolve that :)

• Management

Don't worry. 4.0 is amazing.

I been waiting for 4.0 sense the end of summer. I even stop development on things I been working on. I want to first se how stuff will change so I don't have to work on the stuff twice. With what I been seending it been good. But everything so far is just favor and what REALLY matters is the application themsevles. That has been some downfall on applications, but I'm really focuseing on how they will handle IPG and IPC. These are two applications that help drive a community (mostly). So with that in mind I still hold jugement on "amazing" as Matt said.

You either have mathematic or memory issues. You should try to identify which one is the issue causer and try to resolve that :smile:

There's no need for the ad hominem attacks.

It was confirmed that there would be version 4.0 in this post:

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

and it was conformed that development was underway in this post:

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

Cool :thumbsup:

I'm hoping it will be.

Heh. Well, what else WOULD you say Matt? :p

But truthfully, based on everything we've seen in the Dev Channel and other blog posts, IMO, that's actually no more than a bland statement of fact. 4.0 is what my wife and I have been looking for/trying to cobble together out of best of breed scripts for about 7 years now.

Can't.

Wait.

I know this is a really odd thing to say to some people, but community platform development projects is my "NASCAR" or Football. I love digging around under the hood and pushing the boundaries of what the system can do, or what I can re-purpose it to do. IPS and specifically IP.C has been my passion for awhile now, and we can't wait to get our main community migrated, now that it looks like offline life issues are going to give us a chance to do so. So I've been digging back into the current stable release(s), but I've also been re-reading through the older Dev Channel posts and getting really stoked about what we can DO with 4.0.

Actually I have to keep distracting myself with other shiny techy things so I don't obsess... Speaking of which We have a new Thunderbolt 2 RAID array coming today. Where IS that darn Fedex truck?! :p

James (of James and Susan)

If I say today there will be a version 5.0....does that mean the clock starts today? How about a 6.0? :D

Regarding the bug counts in the tracker - it's misleading. The suite is redeveloped from the ground up and many bug reports simply aren't relevant any more. Things like missing hook points for instance, or something not being translated. We just haven't spent time wading through the tracker to close out things that aren't relevant, as we are focusing on the software itself right now.

If I say today there will be a version 5.0....does that mean the clock starts today? How about a 6.0? :D

Regarding the bug counts in the tracker - it's misleading. The suite is redeveloped from the ground up and many bug reports simply aren't relevant any more. Things like missing hook points for instance, or something not being translated. We just haven't spent time wading through the tracker to close out things that aren't relevant, as we are focusing on the software itself right now.

But do you understand the frustration of users that have those bugs today and will continue to have those bug for 6 to 12 months because even if 4.0 was released tomorrow, very few of us can upgrade until third party skins and add-ons are also updated?

Archived