When is IPB 4.0 ?

Markus Becker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I learned to keep comfort chocolate within arms reach on my desk.

May I suggest my favorite mainstream chocolate?

http://www.amazon.com/Endangered-Species-Chocolate-Espresso-3-Ounce/dp/B000EUHEXM

There's better stuff in small specialty stores, but that one is available almost everywhere, we get a box of it shipped via Amazon Subscription every month. YUM! :)

James

• Management

That puppy is an approved funny puppy.

I completely understand that you do not enjoy being "in the dark" about the specifics of IPS 4. It's not fun not knowing exactly where we are and what we're doing.

But conversely, put yourself in our shoes. If we chose to throw the doors open, set up an alpha board and uploaded our code each night, and so on. It'd be like having 10,000 people watch over our shoulder as we add every button and line of code. There'd be a non-stop stream of opinion which would spill out into arguments on the forum between customers as you all have different wants, needs and tastes.

Quite frankly, we'd never get anything done and we'd spend all of our time explaining our decisions.

The bottom line here is that we have a good honest team writing the best software we can based on our combined experience which spans over 12 years. We listen carefully to what our customers want and we take the time to reply to posts on the forums. We aren't trying to deceive anyone, rip anyone off or deliberately annoy anyone.

Our internal processes are very strong and there's a very high quality control limit on IPS4. The first time you see it, it'll be much more polished than any previous alpha/beta release.

And it'll be worth the wait.

In the mean time if you need to make a business decision, use IP.Board 3. It's a great, well tested product that will serve you very well. Even if we put the first beta of IPS 4 up for download today (we're not) it might be 3-6 months before it's considered stable and even after that we'll continue supporting 3.x for some time. When you're ready we can help you plan your upgrade to 4.

tl;dr: Srsly, we got this.

Trying to please all the people all of the time is like climbing on board a Möbius strip - never ending.

The main concern of people who have taken the time to post in this thread, and other similar threads, has been a lack of time-scale; not so much a release date, but a rationalised timetable of expectation. We now have that and it's eased the tension somewhat and will allow those who have plans in waiting to make a considered decision as to how they may proceed.

I have to admit that I have explored alternatives (Xenforo and Woltlab) and whilst they will fulfil my needs I'm now prepared to wait until 4 is delivered - and it's only because some kind of timetable of expectation has been given and it fits in with my future plans and because I know this will be a good quality product. Had that timetable of expectation not been given IPS would have lost a client.

Customer loyalty is not a given - it has be earned, nurtured, maintained and be seen to be appreciated. That's why my own business has survived for 15 years and my customer retention ratio is 100% (and I truly appreciate that).

Looking forwards now (rather than standing on a precipice) with a high expectation of something that's worth waiting for.

:thumbsup:

This reminds me of our college canteen menu. Every day 75% of the students dislike the food they serve.

Fish? again.. we've just had fish like 2 weeks ago. why can't we have burgers or lasagna.. 2 days later there is burger.. and the reaction is: Burgers? we never get anything healthy..

• Management

Honestly, there is little point going to use other forum software. Once you see IPS 4, you'll want to switch back because it is significantly better than all other software so you'll just be wasting your time and effort. Use IP.Board 3 and then we'll help you upgrade when the time is right for you.

I have not understood why people are so impatient. It will be released when the IPS team thinks it is READY to be released. Timetable or not. I know a lot of people are going to base their community's future on IPB4 If you can't wait then tuff. Suck it up and deal with it. I know thatthe IPS team has my community in mind when they develop a new version.

And unlike some I can wait because from what I have seen from blog posts. IPB4 Will blow the other premium forum scripts out of the water.

So sit back and wait and enjoy what is to come

Honestly, there is little point going to use other forum software. Once you see IPS 4, you'll want to switch back because it is significantly better than all other software so you'll just be wasting your time and effort. Use IP.Board 3 and then we'll help you upgrade when the time is right for you.

After a upgrade you really can't switch back to much of a problem.

I have not understood why people are so impatient. It will be released when the IPS team thinks it is READY to be released. Timetable or not. I know a lot of people are going to base their community's future on IPB4 If you can't wait then tuff. Suck it up and deal with it. I know thatthe IPS team has my community in mind when they develop a new version.

And unlike some I can wait because from what I have seen from blog posts. IPB4 Will blow the other premium forum scripts out of the water.

So sit back and wait and enjoy what is to come

If you can't understand people's concerns (not impatience) then you are not qualified to tell people to 'Suck it up'.

If your community is handsome and doing all you want it to do and you will potentially upgrade to 4 when the time is right for you - that's great.

For those who voiced concerns - it's their site, their time, their effort and their money that they will be investing; not yours.

:smile:

If you can't understand people's concerns (not impatience) then you are not qualified to tell people to 'Suck it up'.

If your community is handsome and doing all you want it to do and you will potentially upgrade to 4 when the time is right for you - that's great.

For those who voiced concerns - it's their site, their time, their effort and their money that they will be investing; not yours.

I do understand the concerns of the whole " We don't have a release date yet" I would like to see it released like the next person but you can't rush stuff like this. like I sated it will be released when it is ready. I am not trying to start any arguments but I have to agree with Matt, If they released alphas betas, and nightlies as it were. they wouldn't get any work done to improve on what they have already done. I completely understand but telling them is not going to get it released any faster.

I know you're just voicing your thoughts - however, if you look carefully at the posts of the people who have voiced their concerns, they were not asking for a 'release date' just some kind of rationale as to expected time scales. As it is we've now been told it's slated (not defined) for Q2 and that has placated most people. Not once has anyone implied that IPS rush this product out, or to travel down the vBulletin road to hell. All that was being asked a full year after it was announced was some indication of how much more time there was to wait.

As many people have voiced, they don't want to have to re-do their sites after they've got them up and running. For my own guilty part in all of this, the site I have planned is mainly (though not exclusively) for older people and it's a difficult hill for them to climb as it is without subjecting them to another hill further along the road, which would (from past experience - I learn from my mistakes for the most part) more than likely alienate them. I would rather wait, though not indefinitely, and get it right first time and alleviate my prospective visitors from more angst than they need to contend with.

The site I have planned will incorporate the forum, ipcontent, gallery and blog - so that means I need to take time out of my busy schedule to familiarise myself with all the changes and, personally, I don't want to have to do that twice and then have to create tutorials (again) for those that need them.

It has to be considered too that not everyone is a programmer, coder, or familiar with html and css (or even forum software) so it makes sense to do what needs to be done once only. For those who are on a tight schedule and need to get their sites up and running soon, then IPS 4 may not be their best solution at this time and some people have already made the decision to look at alternatives. If 3.4.6 is not a viable solution for them then it's understandable that they will look at something else; again that's their choice and they are entitled to make that choice without reproach.

I've used IP software since it was free - my first encounter was back in 2002 and since that time I've used vB, Xenforo, SMF, phpBB and others - but IPS is my preferred (not only) choice and now that they have given a time scale they're back in the game for me - for anyone else it's up to them to decide how they will proceed.

I do understand the concerns of the whole " We don't have a release date yet" I would like to see it released like the next person but you can't rush stuff like this. like I sated it will be released when it is ready. I am not trying to start any arguments but I have to agree with Matt, If they released alphas betas, and nightlies as it were. they wouldn't get any work done to improve on what they have already done. I completely understand but telling them is not going to get it released any faster.

Everytime you post you only show us that you're not actually reading everyone else's posts.

your right I haven't read "all" posts Just those that have talked about a release date. I now know it's not just about a release date its also about the apps hooks and skins. and I have the same concerns about that. I have a few hooks that I will probably have to rewrite

your right I haven't read "all" posts Just those that have talked about a release date. I now know it's not just about a release date its also about the apps hooks and skins. and I have the same concerns about that. I have a few hooks that I will probably have to rewrite

You still don't know.

You are missing a very critical point.

For example we were working on a news,article section for some time for our big board. However atm we need to hold ourself because we don't know what changes Ip.Content will introduce. We don't want to start releasing articles and facing URL changes after moving to IPB 4. There are lots of other examples i can share easily.

But important thing is IPB Team started sharing more informations which pleases us extremely. Because what we currently see made us believe we bet on correct choice with IP Content instead of Wordpress

I agree with Greenlinks...one of the biggest unknowns and decision making points is the role of IP.Content and it's enhancements, as well as how portable 3.4+ to 4.0+ will be.

I'm in the process of developing some things in IP Content and assuming (never a good idea) it will be portable/upgradable to 4.0, but I don't really know.

Granted, IPS is smart enough to know they have a migration path to consider with their own products. And while the middle/backend tiers may upgrade OK, I'm also assuming everything I do at the presentation layer is probably going to change (HTML/CSS).

It's great to see the new blogs, just hoping we get into some core product blogs soon (IP Content, IP Board, IP Blog namely for me)...as they are the forefront of probably most site's content (relative to IPS implementation/software).

Archived