When is IPB 4.0 ?

Markus Becker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, to me the most annoying thing regarding IPB 3.4.6 is the lack of responsive design (and I don't like mobile styles :p). Other than that I am still very happy with that "old" software. ;)

But of course I want to see 4.0 being released. Why? I want to see which impact it has on the forum software market. From what I see in the blog post, if they do it right, there is a high chance that 4.0 will be a blast – also in comparison with the competitors.

For anyone taking offense to my post, I'd just like to clarify:

I think there IS a lot of good conversation here, my point is that IPS has been quite clear and consistent in not releasing detailed dates. While much of the commentary has been well thought out and makes valid points, it's unlikely to have much effect, especially as the very length of this topic underscores the point behind IPS' stance on no dates being given.

Now we can like that or not, agree with that or not, but I personally feel that debating a long-settled issue is a bit like doing the same thing over and over and expecting the outcome to be different.

As an admin of a group of sites that put food on the table and a roof over my family's head I would greatly prefer to be able to engage in meaningful long range planning as would many other folks here. At the moment that consists of working with the existing stable release of the various IPS apps and platform and reading everything that comes out about 4.0 as it's made available.. I'd love to be focusing my development time on 4.0 so that I'm not spending a lot of time on things that I KNOW I'll only have to re-work again in the relatively near timeframe, but that's simply not feasible at the moment.

Do I wish it was otherwise? Sure.

Do I blame IPS for a stance on releasing info on development that makes that difficult? No. Because I totally understand why they do things the way they do, it's their decision to make and they have been consistent.

I've greatly appreciated the insight IPS has provided into the development process in the Development Blog entries, and I hope that such will continue in the future, unfortunately this very sort of reaction may be seen as IPS a a reason NOT to provide that kind of insight in the future. To me that would be a very sad thing.

Many people say that they wouldn't mind if the date slipped as long as the process was more transparent, but look at what has happened here? The end of 2013 slipped and we're now into 28 pages of (mostly) complaining about it. Seems to me that this sort of reaction is more likely to make the process LESS transparent rather than more.

Anyway, looking forward to 4.0, and wishing everyone here the best in their personal goals. :)

James

• Management

Some of these blog entries I will be publishing have been in draft status on our site since October. So that means some thing we are revealing today have been done since October. Now think from there to extrapolate that we have had a lot more done on 4.0 than we've let on ;)

Some of these blog entries I will be publishing have been in draft status on our site since October. So that means some thing we are revealing today have been done since October. Now think from there to extrapolate that we have had a lot more done on 4.0 than we've let on ;)

Why?

I would rather IPS concentrate on being good at giving us a quality release than in being good about their blog entries relating to the development of IPS CS4. Who cares if there are sporadic blog entries. I do NOT want IPS turning into another Microsoft where they are rushing their products out before making sure it works right.

Let's see, developers working on IPS to make it a quality release vs posting blog entries about the development release of IPS CS4.

Yeah, I'd rather have the devs to concentrate on IPS CS4 development than worry about whether or not they're posting blog entries.

Actually, I do! It's great..and funny...or something! (w00t)

OK I don't. But you know that pic is funny, that, or you're sense of humor is about as non-existent as IPS release dates! xD

I would rather IPS concentrate on being good at giving us a quality release than in being good about their blog entries relating to the development of IPS CS4. Who cares if there are sporadic blog entries. I do NOT want IPS turning into another Microsoft where they are rushing their products out before making sure it works right.

Let's see, developers working on IPS to make it a quality release vs posting blog entries about the development release of IPS CS4.

Yeah, I'd rather have the devs to concentrate on IPS CS4 development than worry about whether or not they're posting blog entries.

Wait, are you saying Microsoft it bad? Ohhhh the blasphemy!!! :ph34r:

Actually, I do! It's great..and funny...or something! (w00t)

OK I don't. But you know that pic is funny, that, or you're sense of humor is about as non-existent as IPS release dates! xD

Shaaaaaare it.

Ok. That last one was pretty funny. I'll give you that. :S

Let's try to keep this on topic please and not a chat session :tongue:

Fine. A while back someone said that you were working on Downloads, Content and I think Nexus in conjunction with the rest of the stuff.

Did you start Gallery yet?

Charles and all the IPS staff, I dont mean this nastily guys, but maybe the next time you wont tell anyone what you are releasing until you finish it, this happens every time a release is announced. As for the ones griping about their business, its funny how there business ran perfectly well and still is on 3.4.6. People just cant wait. For those who say the can make another choice fine, Vbullitin 5 was released when it was not even finished or ready your welcome to waste your money there if you wish. Xenforo has not been updated for years, you can always go there and waste your money if you wish. If you give them a chance they will finish it quicker because they wont be on here wasting their time answering your questions.

I run a Military website I want it just as much, I know its coming and I will get it when its finished I am quite happy to wait, giving information somtimes is no good as they may decide to remove something announced, you will all just have to learn to wait like me. it will be ready when its finished.

Archived