When is IPB 4.0 ?

Markus Becker

Not sure where you got that they "missed it by a mile" from as it was actually late 2013, early 2014 and since its only Feb we havent even gone past that yet. No doubt at this stage I wouldnt have thought it to be within that time at a guess, however to say its been missed by a mile when (as of yet) it hasnt been missed at all is another thing which causes customers to throw a fit over stuff. However people at the moment are not going on just about the release date, they are going on about why blogs are not appearing. Now personally I would much rather a developer be developing software than writing blogs.

Yes. Focus on one cliche phrase and ignore the rest of my post. That's a good way to debate a point.

Meanwhile look at all those likes my post got. I think that point that you just ignored is kind of valid.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

However people at the moment are not going on just about the release date, they are going on about why blogs are not appearing. Now personally I would much rather a developer be developing software than writing blogs.

The blog entries are ALREADY WRITTEN...

Peeps keep saying "OMG LET THE DEVELOPERS DO THEY JOB AND NOT WASTE TIME WRITING BLOGZ!!"

Reading comprehension!!!

They've already indicated they've written plenty of blog entries and are just... sitting on them.

The fact that they're sitting on them this long, trying to stretch... things... out... doesn't bode particularly well. Furthermore, if the information in these blog entries is valid, already written, etc., the only reason to apply intentional constipation to their publishing is to keep people pacified while estimates are revised into the future, and early 2014 becomes 2014 becomes early 2015...

The blog entries are ALREADY WRITTEN...

Peeps keep saying "OMG LET THE DEVELOPERS DO THEY JOB AND NOT WASTE TIME WRITING BLOGZ!!"

Reading comprehension!!!

They've already indicated they've written plenty of blog entries and are just... sitting on them.

The fact that they're sitting on them this long, trying to stretch... things... out... doesn't bode particularly well. Furthermore, if the information in these blog entries is valid, already written, etc., the only reason to apply intentional constipation to their publishing is to keep people pacified while estimates are revised into the future, and early 2014 becomes 2014 becomes early 2015...

They have already stated a few times that those blog entries already written show parts of the front end skin and until they finalize the skin itself they won't publish them. Most likely the entries themselves are already written but the images in them are missing until Rikki is done with the skin.

Actually the reason is because the features they wrote about aren't 100% complete. They only publish blog entries when the feature they wrote about is completed.

Which begs the question why write about something, complete the feature in its entirety and then ask for feedback on it? At that point you're more resistant to accepting feedback and implementing it could've been done while completing it if you'd just published the already pre-written blog ahead of time. :C But perspective is everything so I'm probably missing something.

It's not about release dates. It's about sharing information that is a need to know and isn't. Fluffy promos in the blog are not going to get it done. I'm not sure why there is a total wall of silence in this area or having some type of QA.

Another thought - I can only hope that nothing has been overlooked. Usually a dialogue, at least high level with certain folks can provide great insight before it becomes impossible to practically change direction. There is one person on this forum who I am surprised isn't a closer part of the details concerning optimization. Anyway, enough said.

A QA would be nice ask anything about IPB 4.0.

As for a release date well we will see when its released and i hope it's a great release not something like other companies do, if that means it will take longer so be it.

They have already stated a few times that those blog entries already written show parts of the front end skin and until they finalize the skin itself they won't publish them. Most likely the entries themselves are already written but the images in them are missing until Rikki is done with the skin.

It's a good point that they did mention that... although some of the listed entries sound like they specifically relate to the backend (IPC content management) and not the front...

Allow me to rephrase, then... the information contained in these already-written but screenshotless blog entries would STILL be preferable to read sooner, rather than later. Even without the pretty pictures, it's information that can be planned around, incorporated, and can affect decision-making of IPS customers. A reluctance to show off the goods when it comes to the frontend should not singlehandedly be delaying valuable information about functionality. Especially if there's any chance that feedback surrounding said functionality is critical enough to consider incorporating into the release.

My two cents. Okay, probably more than two cents, probably more like 50 or 75.

It's a good point that they did mention that... although some of the listed entries sound like they specifically relate to the backend (IPC content management) and not the front...

Allow me to rephrase, then... the information contained in these already-written but screenshotless blog entries would STILL be preferable to read sooner, rather than later. Even without the pretty pictures, it's information that can be planned around, incorporated, and can affect decision-making of IPS customers. A reluctance to show off the goods when it comes to the frontend should not singlehandedly be delaying valuable information about functionality. Especially if there's any chance that feedback surrounding said functionality is critical enough to consider incorporating into the release.

My two cents. Okay, probably more than two cents, probably more like 50 or 75.

• If they post the entries without images peoples will complain that they want to see what the entry is talking about.
  • If they post the entries with images of the skin half-done peoples will complain that it looks bad or that they need to re-think it (even though it's stated that the skin is not done).
  • If they post the entries after the skin is done with proper images people will complain while waiting.

Just like usual there is no way out in any scenario, just my two cents :p

• If they post the entries without images peoples will complain that they want to see what the entry is talking about.
  • If they post the entries with images of the skin half-done peoples will complain that it looks bad or that they need to re-think it (even though it's stated that the skin is not done).
  • If they post the entries after the skin is done with proper images people will complain while waiting.

Just like usual there is no way out in any scenario, just my two cents :tongue:

It's the Internet. People will complain no matter what. They could make the product free and SOMEONE would complain about that. I'm not talking about what they can do to eliminate the odds of people complaining, I'm talking about what they can do to help their customers. Your two cents would be an argument against doing pretty much anything, ever, including developing the software in the first place...

When you look at the date of this thread start

Posted 10 June 2013

One with common sense could see why people are getting a little irritated imo. When you can't get it out after that range of guess, well.. just when can you expect something! There were posts being responded to by staff in Feb of 2013 no less on 4.0. I'm not one to complain about release dates but this is so far out of frame from Charles 2nd entry into this thread ..... This isn't a direct attack on you either Charles so put the poison darts away :D I'm not sure where the issue is but I'd hope next time IPB could do a whole bunch better in this area. I believe I see enough distress in this thread it should warrant a looking into for improvement by IPB.

I put a lot of work into creating plugins for Vanilla 2.1 because I thought a final 2.1 release was imminent. That was in the Fall of 2012. Vanilla 2.1 is still not final and there is no indication that it ever will be at this point. Myself and many of the serious devs that were working with Vanilla at the time have given up on the product. Point is that for customers and devs, communication about the progress of an upcoming product release is essential to keep people integrated into the community and process. Let's hope there is news soon.

A few of us here are familiar with another forum product.

They announced their new version would be out in 6-8 weeks on 3rd August 2011

Users are still waiting......

So a few months here is nothing :)

Even if it came on this site tomorrow as beta, you need to add a couple of months at least for release to a stable version that you could use on your community IMHO

If anyone is waiting to start a site, I would start now and then upgrade.

• Management

Since today is the company's 12th birthday... I guess we can go ahead and start releasing public-facing blog entries now.

Expect the first ones to go public next week. If it makes any of the naysayers in this topic happy: we have dozens of blog entries lined up in queue :)

Since today is the company's 12th birthday... I guess we can go ahead and start releasing public-facing blog entries now.

Expect the first ones to go public next week. If it makes any of the naysayers in this topic happy: we have dozens of blog entries lined up in queue :smile:

Don't do it next week , have huge shop upgrade on my laps that needs to be completed next week. Don't take attention away lol

Since today is the company's 12th birthday... I guess we can go ahead and start releasing public-facing blog entries now. Expect the first ones to go public next week. If it makes any of the naysayers in this topic happy: we have dozens of blog entries lined up in queue :)

Today is IPs birthday? You should do a promo so I can finally buy ip content ;)

Archived