When is IPB 4.0 ?

Markus Becker

Not sure why there is a need for separate Tracker categories for 4.0... ?

attachicon.gif?????? ?????? 2014-02-11 ? 19.26.36.png

At the moment with 3.x everything connects to the forum; the forum is the core. It's not really an issue that much, however to someone only wanting Content and Nexus it does become rather bulky and difficult to work around. There's many other products that would most certainty be easier to work with if you didn't want a forum but did want something similar to the other apps that connect to 3.x at the moment.

With 4.0 the core is just that; a core. I imagine that the core alone wouldn't be usable without at least one app to 'front' the website. You could run Core + Nexus and it would just simply be an online store. Core + Content, a basic content management system. The possibilities of just having a 'core' and then the freedom of what apps attaches to it makes it a very good product to many, not limiting it to just a forum based system.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there something specific you're wanting to know? Yes the upgrade process is important...but really it's just an upgrade routine. It's not that exciting and there's not much to say. "You run the upgrader, it upgrades your site".

Not really, but since you're asking I am having my community under community.mydomain.com as well as all module run under that. What about if in v4 I want IPNexus to run under eshop.mydomain.com, blogs under blog.mydomain.com and forums still under community.mydomain.com? Mostly important for IPContent under root and the rest under other subdomain / subfolders (or any kind of combinations).

Not really, but since you're asking I am having my community under community.mydomain.com as well as all module run under that. What about if in v4 I want IPNexus to run under eshop.mydomain.com, blogs under blog.mydomain.com and forums still under community.mydomain.com? Mostly important for IPContent under root and the rest under other subdomain / subfolders (or any kind of combinations).

That doesn't have much to do with the upgrader itself. ;)

A question (it has probably been answered) will the email template for notification etc be changing?
One small thing that drives me nuts is that the link to the thread is at the bottom after the message, can the top not have a link too?
I know its a small edit but its just a bit annoying.

A question (it has probably been answered) will the email template for notification etc be changing?
One small thing that drives me nuts is that the link to the thread is at the bottom after the message, can the top not have a link too?
I know its a small edit but its just a bit annoying.

Email templates are mentioned in this blog entry but there is no example of a topic notification: '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

Key blog entries we are awaiting :

Search Relevancy
Searcn Engine improvements / additional search engine supports

Ip.Content management

Ip.Content content creation

Notifications

Gallery Improvements

Content Expiry improvements for better nginx/varnish support

And surely

Frontend UI

That means one month and 2 days of un-interrupted, moving forward, development time without having to be distracted and write blog entries about stuff they've already done.
<_< :frantics:

:tongue:

I think the blog entries are already written. They just don't publish them until they're ready.

Is there something specific you're wanting to know?

I think it would upset clients who did purchase "Application X" more that they can't upgrade because Application X hasn't been updated yet. With 4.0 our approach is that we are releasing a suite of applications, and that means all applications will be released simultaneously.

I'll explain my problem. I don't know for sure what you guys are releasing in the end or even what is focused upon. It would be foolhardy for me to assume that all the modules are any more than basically done with some better than others. I'd expect the forum to the be best and that improvement in features, bug fixes, etc. would come over time. So what modules are being released? I need forum (a given), several blog/article repositoies (a given but unsure whether it would work given IP.C v3), file repository that features up and download (unknown), e-commerce shop/storefront (a given but Nexus was too awkward for us) as well as a number of other things. The other issue - URL planning and flexibility. I don't know whether I could put a module in different places either. There is more (details are important) but these are the basics.

As a result of providing very little to no information about the above for proper planning, I've had to simply create a whole different structure using other software and neatly tie it together. It sits on individual URLs because they made the most sense for SEO and because I couldn't wait 6 months until I finally was able to hear how these things would work. Perhaps there is information about it somewhere but I haven't found it nor did I find it sufficient.

So now the challenge is what comes next. Unnecessary 301 redirects if there isn't the flexibility that I would like - very painful because I simply couldn't get information on how to best plan my site should I consider migration to IPB 4. And without knowing what's coming down the pipeline, each day it becomes more probable that I'll stick with the current path, especially because they work and are now well integrated - and managing all those 301 redirects will be brutal.

I don't fault you guys for wanting to keep a tight lip on what's coming down the pipeline and ruin the surprises. But as people wait, other options turn up and keep getting better. And without the necessary information, it becomes more likely that there is less of a need for upgrade/crossgrading. Just a thought...

So now the challenge is what comes next. Unnecessary 301 redirects if there isn't the flexibility that I would like - very painful because I simply couldn't get information on how to best plan my site should I consider migration to IPB 4. And without knowing what's coming down the pipeline, each day it becomes more probable that I'll stick with the current path, especially because they work and are now well integrated - and managing all those 301 redirects will be brutal.

I don't fault you guys for wanting to keep a tight lip on what's coming down the pipeline and ruin the surprises. But as people wait, other options turn up and keep getting better. And without the necessary information, it becomes more likely that there is less of a need for upgrade/crossgrading. Just a thought...

I'd just like to chime in with agreement... while the level of communication and responsiveness from IPS staff is excellent compared to the rest of the field, the model of secrecy and slowly leaking out information over the course of months, while admitting that the blog entries are already written, feels very antiquated to me. I don't think you should stop at being somewhat better than everyone else, I think you should set an even higher mark, and look toward the pace & transparency of open-source projects as your true competition.

Let's get some of those blog entries out of the closet, no?

Yep this place feels very stale at the moment, I'm coming back a week at a time and nothings changed, just IPS missed a loose deadline they originally set and now pretty much leaving their customers waiting in the dark. Very odd - there's been a remarkable change at IPS.

Yep this place feels very stale at the moment, I'm coming back a week at a time and nothings changed, just IPS missed a loose deadline they originally set and now pretty much leaving their customers waiting in the dark. Very odd - there's been a remarkable change at IPS.

This is the part where three different staff members will say something along the lines of "and this is why we don't announce release dates :)".

Nothing around here is stale, you just want what you want when you want it.

They haven't left us in the dark as they've posted updates for us. Leaving us in the dark would mean there would have been no updates and no communication from the staff at all.

It's not about release dates. It's about sharing information that is a need to know and isn't. Fluffy promos in the blog are not going to get it done. I'm not sure why there is a total wall of silence in this area or having some type of QA.

Another thought - I can only hope that nothing has been overlooked. Usually a dialogue, at least high level with certain folks can provide great insight before it becomes impossible to practically change direction. There is one person on this forum who I am surprised isn't a closer part of the details concerning optimization. Anyway, enough said.

Personally, I think everyone is worrying about nothing. Version 3 is a perfectly good product and there have been blog posts (albeit not for a while) about 4.0. They could have quite easily said not very much at all about 4.0 and been working on it alongside 3.4, whilst saying nothing about 4.0 even being started.

Look at it this way, you have what was once an extremely successful forum company in vbulletin which has failed almost at every turn through thinking about profits, rushing products to the finish line, trying to keep customers upbeat with blogs, announcements, emails, bulletins in their admincp and all to do nothing but get the product rushed out the door and put money in their pockets. If Invision as a company do not feel its the right time to put those blogs out then so be it. I dont care if its because they are only 10% of the way through the product, or if its because they are 95% of the way and want a big "bang", or if its because something wass overlooked. The point is that I may feel like I want to see more, I may feel I want to get more information, but one thing I certainly dont feel is that they are rushing a product to line their pockets. And THAT is whats important.

Version 3 is a perfectly good product

And nobody really disagrees with that. Problem is some of us would like to start new projects and anyone who's dedicated will at the very least build a custom skin for their site and perhaps do some hook or app customizations. But IPS is reworking 4 from scratch meaning that with 4 people will have to remake their skins, hooks, and apps from scratch. That's really why people care so much about getting more information about a release date. If there is an internal projection (yes they have internal deadlines) of mid to late spring then people would benefit from knowing because they can hold off on their project. If we're talking about summer then people might be more inclined to launch a project off now and be moderately ok with redoing all customization work once 4 is out. Having a ball park estimate of a release date does affect everyone. But IPS won't give it to us because they already guessed 2013 and missed by a mile and people's reaction was to basically throw a fit.

This isn't about having a stable product, or having lots of new features. It's a simple request for information so that customers can plan what to do with the product. Nobody, absolutely nobody, wants to commit to 3.4 with the idle thought that IPS 4 will be released by the time their project launches.

And nobody really disagrees with that. Problem is some of us would like to start new projects and anyone who's dedicated will at the very least build a custom skin for their site and perhaps do some hook or app customizations. But IPS is reworking 4 from scratch meaning that with 4 people will have to remake their skins, hooks, and apps from scratch. That's really why people care so much about getting more information about a release date. If there is an internal projection (yes they have internal deadlines) of mid to late spring then people would benefit from knowing because they can hold off on their project. If we're talking about summer then people might be more inclined to launch a project off now and be moderately ok with redoing all customization work once 4 is out. Having a ball park estimate of a release date does affect everyone. But IPS won't give it to us because they already guessed 2013 and missed by a mile and people's reaction was to basically throw a fit.

Not sure where you got that they "missed it by a mile" from as it was actually late 2013, early 2014 and since its only Feb we havent even gone past that yet. No doubt at this stage I wouldnt have thought it to be within that time at a guess, however to say its been missed by a mile when (as of yet) it hasnt been missed at all is another thing which causes customers to throw a fit over stuff. However people at the moment are not going on just about the release date, they are going on about why blogs are not appearing. Now personally I would much rather a developer be developing software than writing blogs.

Archived