When is IPB 4.0 ?

Markus Becker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a question to ask with regard to the skin (or theme).
If we customize the default skin for the desktop then also the mobile version will be the same as the version for the desktop? Mobile or the skin is "lighter" automatically compared to that for the desktop?
I hope there is still a substantial difference to the skin that are customized, otherwise the mobile version is very slow (the default skin created by you will probably be light but not those created by us).
-
Sorry for my bad english

I have a question to ask with regard to the skin (or theme).
If we customize the default skin for the desktop then also the mobile version will be the same as the version for the desktop? Mobile or the skin is "lighter" automatically compared to that for the desktop?
I hope there is still a substantial difference to the skin that are customized, otherwise the mobile version is very slow (the default skin created by you will probably be light but not those created by us).
-
Sorry for my bad english

1) There is nothing requiring other theme authors to make their skins responsive

2) There is nothing preventing you from creating/installing dedicated mobile skins

To answer your question - there is one skin by default. It serves desktop, tablet and phone interface needs by automatically adapting based on the viewport size (i.e. a "responsive" theme). As always, the software is customizable so you are not absolutely required to stick with this convention, however.

To answer your question - there is one skin by default. It serves desktop, tablet and phone interface needs by automatically adapting based on the viewport size (i.e. a "responsive" theme). As always, the software is customizable so you are not absolutely required to stick with this convention, however.

So even though there is no dedicated mobile template by default, you can still create unique mobile skins and have mobile users automatically use these dedicated skins, right?

(Basically the same way it works now. It's not going to force your mobile users to manually switch to the mobile template in 4.0)

(Just for clarification and to make sure I'm reading you right)

I migrated my last active vb site to Xenforo a few months ago. Now considering what to do with my IPB site.

The IPB Forum isn't doing well, because of my lack of focus on it. However, I had thought that by now 4.0 would be closer to a reality.

My users actually liked IPB 3.x more than Xenforo, but their engagement/activity trends revealed the opposite. I've since come up with a way to reduce the initial delay on IPB3, that was the primary contributor to going with Xenforo; just wish that there was some indication if my custom process is still going to be necessary with IPB 4.

I'm all for good software, but throw us a bone :unsure:

4.0 will homogeneous system/framework than 3.4.6, I think after reading all blog entry.
But the first problem that stop me is know that my actual works could be replaced from new version :S

For future i would only see more images/videos and less word... more pratice (how-to) by ips staff or other, because "one image is better of 1000 words" :P
example vbullettin show own board through a gallery of video (more apreciate when its are "how-to" kind). Now there are also blog entry but not a page that include all videos uploaded talking about ips 4... please looking for into this goal "exploring next suite from videos" (animations)

You don't upgrade from 2.3.6 to 4.0.0 directly.

You upgrade one version at a time, so no matter how old a version you are using, you can still upgrade to the latest release.

(The updater will detect which version you are using and apply updates cumulatively)

• Management

I migrated my last active vb site to Xenforo a few months ago. Now considering what to do with my IPB site.

The IPB Forum isn't doing well, because of my lack of focus on it. However, I had thought that by now 4.0 would be closer to a reality.

My users actually liked IPB 3.x more than Xenforo, but their engagement/activity trends revealed the opposite. I've since come up with a way to reduce the initial delay on IPB3, that was the primary contributor to going with Xenforo; just wish that there was some indication if my custom process is still going to be necessary with IPB 4.

What is your custom process?

cartoon-bone-6.gif

I like to have a well made system and they been posting blog post on many subjects and even showing us stuff on the forums of hints here and there. So they have "throw us many bones" in that way. Till then like the rest of us we just have to wait.

Yeah it's a short, useless month. But at least this error will keep ZakRhyno and marklcfc from hating on everything.

Brandon was complaining how boring calendars are. I think he was just trying to spice things up a bit with some reorganizing.

Nice I will enjoy having this now and will fix many issues! Got a few questions about the contact form but I wait to a blog post as it may answer my questions and all. (It's about how Nexus will be use with this) One question, where is the Help link at, as I use this feature?

Huh!?!? What makes you said I hate on everything. I was trying to give some feedback on what I believe to improve the product. Would you please, explain.

Still waiting on your reply to my questions Charles?

I'm sure the custom skins by users (all forums customize the skin) will not be compatible with mobile devices.

there will still be an option to use a different skin for mobile devices like there is for ipb 3.4.6?

If the custom themes are responsive, which they almost certainly all will be, it will be compatible with mobile devices.

I'm sure the custom skins by users (all forums customize the skin) will not be compatible with mobile devices.

there will still be an option to use a different skin for mobile devices like there is for ipb 3.4.6?

Any current custom skins will need to be updated for V4.

Of course any pages such as in IP.Content might need altering as they may not be responsive.

Also any google adverts code will probably need changing to responsive code.

is there a way to test version 4 (testinstall for all customers)? or do i need a second license for testing and transfer a live ipb3 install ? i know that other board software developer offers public betas where all people can download and local test the software before it goes final.

how did you handle this in past ?

is there a way to test version 4 (testinstall for all customers)? or do i need a second license for testing and transfer a live ipb3 install ? i know that other board software developer offers public betas where all people can download and local test the software before it goes final.

http://community.invisionpower.com/forum/460-pre-release-testing/

At the moment there isn't anything to test, once it's available, we encourage all members to test it as much as they can. :) Watch the IPS Company Blogs, as soon as there is something to test, it would be posted.

Archived