When is IPB 4.0 ?

Markus Becker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello IPB-Community.
When will be the release date for ipb 4.0, because i like buy if ipb 4.0 is available.

Keep in mind that, as long as your license is active, product updates are free of charge. If you buy IP.Board now, you can update later on without having to buy a new license. :thumbsup:

I think we need an IPB Time, much like there is "Valve Time" https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time

This is exactly why we don't publish release dates. We are free to continue working on it until, as others have said, it is ready. Not rushed to release on schedule or disappoint when we miss a schedule. We release when it's ready. :thumbsup:

Keep in mind that, as long as your license is active, product updates are free of charge. If you buy IP.Board now, you can update later on without having to buy a new license. :thumbsup:

This is exactly why we don't publish release dates. We are free to continue working on it until, as others have said, it is ready. Not rushed to release on schedule or disappoint when we miss a schedule. We release when it's ready. :thumbsup:

Haha I know. . just gotta give you guys a hard time. I understand, and indeed release it when it's ready! :) We'll support you guys no matter what.

And exactly the way it should be :)

This is exactly why we don't publish release dates. We are free to continue working on it until, as others have said, it is ready. Not rushed to release on schedule or disappoint when we miss a schedule. We release when it's ready.

With respect this is rubbish. IPS will have a very detailed project plan with target 'go live' and timed stage gates. You can guarantee it won't be as loose as some time this year, when it's ready.

So it is really only about the IPS decision to inform or not to inform customers, of a date, a week. a month or even a quarter.

As an IPS customer I have to make decisions and plans on when and how to develop my site (my business) and as my site (will be) 100% IPS then it is vital to have information on what and when. Even if it isn't 100% accurate.

Of course targets are missed and 'go live' dates get extended (I know I've implemented an erp system). We've all got broad shoulders and won't get upset if it doesn't happen exactly as planned.

This year, when it's ready, is of no great use to IPS customers and IPS commercial developers.

If there are commercial reasons for not announcing a date (could well understand that) then state this (without details if needs be) and don't be wishy washy with your reasons such as "not wanting to be rushed" and "not wanting to disappoint people..."

P.S. I can't wait for 4.0. :-)

Quite frankly, this statement simply isn't true. It may be true for YOU, and that's great (I wish everyone understood software development) but the VAST majority of our clients do not really understand this concept very well.

Even if it isn't 100% accurate.

Of course targets are missed and 'go live' dates get extended (I know I've implemented an erp system). We've all got broad shoulders and won't get upset if it doesn't happen exactly as planned.

We do not generally post release dates because they are estimates and are subject to change, and the majority of end users have a hard time understanding the processes that are undertaken to release a major software package and do not readily accept release dates being moved. We give a broad estimate (in this case "this year") and keep clients updated as more information becomes available.

I suppose a good snippet of information could be just to announce what state the development is in, i.e pre-alpha, alpha etc, then people can make their own guesses. I did that when I used to develop on the Amiga, and it seemed to keep people happy.

I doubt you'll ever see and end to the "when will it be ready" question as most of us are impatient.

Sometime this year is the best I can say :smile:

Actually I think this is a far more precise response than anyone has a right to expect. :)

Seriously, think about it... There are only a bit over 6 1/2 months left in the year. As so many people are saying they want a ROUGH estimate, I think saying that it'll be out in the next 6 months or so is pretty dang good as a response.

Personally, given the state of what's been published in the dev blog so far, I'm optimistic. I know what we've seen about 4.0 has caused us to put off our couple years-overdue migration as well as pause on one of our new projects until we have access to 4.0, simply because the impact on our development cycle and the platform capabilities looks to be huge. :)

James (and Susan)

And that is why IPS is the Blizzard of forum software companies.

At the moment my site is IPS forum modules, but a main site run by other software. I have wanted to move everything to IPS (one community) for a long time.

I am about to embark on an expensive and (no doubt) fraught IP content project to move everything to IPS.

Is it wise to wait for 4.0 or will I be ok to migrate (of course there will be some skin changes).

At the moment my site is IPS forum modules, but a main site run by other software. I have wanted to move everything to IPS (one community) for a long time.

I am about to embark on an expensive and (no doubt) fraught IP content project to move everything to IPS.

Is it wise to wait for 4.0 or will I be ok to migrate (of course there will be some skin changes).

personally, and this is PURE opinion, I would wait. while it can be exasperating I feel (no proof, just a feeling) the changes in the core and how the modules interact will benefit setups like this.

again, pure opinion.

It is important to remember that we've been working on 4.0 in some capacity since the beginning of this year, or even late last year. This is why we may be farther along than you expected. It's just that the initial stages don't really give us much to talk about publicly, so things are quiet at first. :)

I would not wait for 4.0 to start a new project. It is still a ways away, and you will be able to upgrade. The only major things to consider are custom skins and custom addons, as they will not work on the next generation.

Archived