joelle

Here are the main features I would like to see in IPS 4.0

- Flat Design

- HTML5 & CSS3 compatibility

- Drag & Drop Grid Layout Flexibility

- Responsive Layout Design

- Navigation links with custom icons (left, top) - IP.Content

- Custom forum icons

What are your thoughts about the IPS 4.0 design?

Bootstrap type built in classes if possible. I love the simplicity of creating

<div class="container">
	<div class="row">
		<div class="span4">
			Box 1
		</div>
		<div class="span4">
			Box 2
		</div>
		<div class="span4">
			Box 3
		</div>
	</div>
</div>

Built in icons, again bootstrap example, but

<h3><i class="icon-star"></i>My title</h3>

would be really sweet.

Just my preference though!

I'd like a feature that would make the design less in need of being redesigned over and over with each big IPB version. Or a design that sticks around.

That's impossible. Design trends are constantly evolving and changing. Re-designing the software every few years drives innovation and keeps things fresh.

A site doesn't need to be trendy. Following trends is not the same as innovating. End users want something nice looking, easy to use, and functional. Gimmicks seem to be a device to create hype for new purchases at the expense of customers and communities that don't wish to keep changing layouts or those that cannot create their own.

A site doesn't need to be trendy. Following trends is not the same as innovating. End users want something nice looking, easy to use, and functional. Gimmicks seem to be a device to create hype for new purchases at the expense of customers and communities that don't wish to keep changing layouts or those that cannot create their own.

You're missing the point. The IPB 2.3 design was nice looking, easy to use and functional several years ago but nowadays, most people would laugh if such a design was still in place for a market leading forum software. Ultimately, sticking with the same design over an extended period of time will just cause the software to become stale and boring whilst the rest of the industry adapts and moves forward.

You are incorrect. Most people would either not know the difference or would be fine with it. People who design forum layouts for websites are a minority, not the "most."

My forum isn't a toy just for myself. I treat it as a service to its members.

It's not just the 'look' of the software that it updated. New technologies and approaches are emerging all the time which we'd be foolish to ignore, but which require changes to the skin. I don't think we need to keep up with 'trends', because that implies jumping on a bandwagon, but I do think we need to stay modern. That necessitates major work every few years.

Joelle & Tom: given those lists, I think you'll like 4.0 :)

You are incorrect. Most people would either not know the difference or would be fine with it. People who design forum layouts for websites are a minority, not the "most."

My forum isn't a toy just for myself. I treat it as a service to its members.

I highly doubt that. Maybe a small minority perhaps. As an example, compare two forums offering the same service or similar in content - Most users would choose the fresh, modern and user friendlier version instead of the old, boring and outdated version that's only being kept for the sole purpose of keeping some of your existing users that aren't used to change happy.

You're only saying that because it sounds right without any statistics.

I'm saying that based on first hand experience building, managing and participating in different communities over the last eight years. If we're going to go down the evidence and statistics route, the burden of evidence is on you as I'm not the one requesting IPS to suddenly stop creating new designs every major software release :smile:.

I'm saying that based on first hand experience building, managing and participating in different communities over the last eight years. If we're going to go down the evidence and statistics route, the burden of evidence is on you as I'm not the one requesting IPS to suddenly stop creating new designs every major software release :smile:.

You only create different looks for websites based on feedback from customers and such. . it's not like you know anything anyways right? -_-

Apple is a great example...they say if you must gift a computer for your gandma or grandpa its the ideal choice. Designed beautifully and folks have caught up. Lets also not get confused with Design vs Ease of use.

We need beautiful designs which should also make it easier to use and be more intutive. Rather than not evolve your design just beacuse a few of the folks are used to the interface.

You only create different looks for websites based on feedback from customers and such. . it's not like you know anything anyways right? -_-

Sorry, maybe I'm misinterpreting this post but suggesting I have no knowledge or insights into a users perspective is laughable. I'm not a robot that just creates themes and has no understanding of anything other than that :lol:

ADKGamers made a good point.

Feel free to elaborate.

From what I gathered, he thinks my judgement is biased because I create products for IPB. I visit and participate in several other communities completely unrelated to IPB or Web Design. Just because I disagree with your argument, it doesn't mean I don't understand it. :smile:

Archived