Validating members need the option to change their e-mail

Makoto

Pretty much any major website or service that requires e-mail authentication to register today allows a member to change their e-mail during the registration process.

IP.Board does not.

I see people every day trying to register multiple accounts because they made a typo in their first accounts e-mail.

I would really like to see an option allowing members to change their e-mail during the e-mail validation stage of registration.

• 2 months later...

This is basically would I would like to see in IP.Board,

ipb-validating-msg.png' alt='' class='ip" alt="ipb-validating-msg.png">

Currently when a user registers and e-mail validation is required, they're not automatically logged in. They're told to check their e-mail and validate their account. But if they see they entered in the wrong e-mail, what are they going to do?

They're probably not going to manually navigate to the login page, attempt to log in with their account information, find the link to their account settings and go to the page to change their accounts e-mail. They're just going to go back and attempt registration again or become frustrated and simply not bother.

I see this problem on my forum constantly. This could be mitigated by implementing something similar to the above into IP.Board.

When a user registers, even if e-mail validation is required, the user should still be automatically logged in and sent to the forums index. The forum index will display a notice like the one above explaining that the user needs to complete the e-mail validation stage to gain full access to the forum.

• 2 months later...

This is basically would I would like to see in IP.Board,

ipb-validating-msg.png' alt='' class='ip" alt="ipb-validating-msg.png">

Currently when a user registers and e-mail validation is required, they're not automatically logged in. They're told to check their e-mail and validate their account. But if they see they entered in the wrong e-mail, what are they going to do?

They're probably not going to manually navigate to the login page, attempt to log in with their account information, find the link to their account settings and go to the page to change their accounts e-mail. They're just going to go back and attempt registration again or become frustrated and simply not bother.

I see this problem on my forum constantly. This could be mitigated by implementing something similar to the above into IP.Board.

When a user registers, even if e-mail validation is required, the user should still be automatically logged in and sent to the forums index. The forum index will display a notice like the one above explaining that the user needs to complete the e-mail validation stage to gain full access to the forum.

Agreed , also please give us full ability to customise what messages we choose to display when a user signs in , activates accouınt etc..

not sure this is best place to ask so apologize if not.

will 4.0 have ability to check the email domain to see if its valid (simple looking for mx record or ping) before accepting?

what I usually see (the few times I have the issue) is user gets their username of email correct but makes type on the domain info, especially if its their own domain with longer names.

not sure this is best place to ask so apologize if not.

will 4.0 have ability to check the email domain to see if its valid (simple looking for mx record or ping) before accepting?

what I usually see (the few times I have the issue) is user gets their username of email correct but makes type on the domain info, especially if its their own domain with longer names.

We are not currently checking MX records against the email domain - personally I think this is a bit overkill for most communities, although I respect that different situations have different requirements.

4.0 is, however, far easier to "hook" into, so it would be possible for addon authors to build a plugin which overrides our email address form helper to add this capability.

Archived