favicon.ico issue

Wolfie

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who has noticed this.. When upgrading a site, unless you have disabled write permissions on the favicon.ico file, the sites default one gets overwritten. Not a big issue if it's already the IPS favicon icon file. But for sites with a custom favicon file, it can be a bit of a nuisance.

Here's what I have in mind. Have the file be renamed as ipsicon.ico or something, then during the install/upgrade process, if the file "favicon.ico" doesn't exist, rename it to that. Would help preserve existing icon files but also provide a favicon file if it's not already there.

I know that it shouldn't be that hard to change which file is used for it (changing the name to something else), but not everyone knows how to do it. So to follow this step would make it friendly for those who have a custom icon file, while still spreading the IPS logo icon file around for those who don't have one already.

For clarification my post about having it as a .dist file was for when the zip is built initially, so that way (like the config, media path and robots files) there's no danger of overwriting anything.

Following the way they do conf_global and the media_path files, it would be favicon.dist.ico. That would work too. I was just thinking that ipsicon.ico would make it rather obvious where it came for anyone looking.

I simply remove default favicon.ico from install zip file. And then copy.

Not always an option or someone might not know how. May seem simple to you and me, but there are some that just barely get how to upload the files, let alone how to pick and choose what to upload. Not only that but the auto-upgrader uploads everything, which also complicates things.

it is a pita, not huge deal as I make a copy of pub_html before updates just in case but it is a pita.

better yet is not even having a favicon in the download.

those that want to use one can without needing to worry about overwrites.

then no special coding needed to check for existing.

it is a pita, not huge deal as I make a copy of pub_html before updates just in case but it is a pita.

better yet is not even having a favicon in the download.

those that want to use one can without needing to worry about overwrites.

then no special coding needed to check for existing.

I think it makes sense to include it and 'rename' for sites that don't already have it. From a company perspective, it means the company logo gets spread around and seen more. From a sites perspective, it means there is an icon in place instead of nothing at all. Better to have something than nothing.

wish constants.php could be used somehow to stop overwriting custom ones.

I forgot about the FB one too so now need to recheck mine.

man I hate doing that.

The Facebook Meta image is configurable, so you shouldn't have to replace that every upgrade. ACP > System Settings > General Configuration > Meta image: image_src.

if we use stock name meta_image.png (replacing your default image) it gets overwritten.

I guess I'll need to use custom name on it.

Could always put it just inside /public I guess and use the full path ? , then it should not get zapped on an upgrade (I'm not sure it should if its got the same name) if so that sort of suggests that its being stored in an unsuitable place if its being removed on an upgrade with the same name.

The same way this is where logo replacements via the Easy Logo Changer tend to live ie just inside /public

just call custom one meta1 or something and point to it would work, but would need to make sure each skin has the meta1 file in it.

your way probably lot easier, just store the one file somewhere and point to it.

Why each skin? There is literally a single setting that controls this that would apply to every skin.

Screenshot_4_19_13_11_24_AM_17219931.png

yeah it applies to every skin. and every skin needs to have your custom one there.

system can't magically change the ip one to your custom. most custom skins have the ip default meta_image.png

so if doing it by using a custom name meta1_image.png then meta1_image.png need to be there.

that way skin updates also don't overwrite the custom one.

or just place the meta_image.png somewheres outside of the style_image_url and point to it so nothing ever affects it.

edit: which is what I just did.

created a folder under public/style_images called meta and placed the png there and pointed to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived