Editor in Ips 4.0

aSimpleIdea

Hello!

I was curious about the editor in ips 4.0.

Will you still be using ckeditor? Will it support html5? Will it have a new skin? Have you ever thought about switching to another editor or making your own?

If yes, we might give some suggestions about other editors...

I found this one: http://imperavi.com/redactor/

It is made with jQuery, they also claim it is 8x faster than ckeditor, supports html 5 and plugins, click-to-edit, drag-and-drop and other stuff. But it only supports ie 8+ (of course every other browser version is supported ).

Are you planning to make a post about ips 4 editor? :smile:

We will evaluate all options, however CKEditor still seems to be the market leader and most likely editor that we will utilize.

HTML5 support has been present in CKEditor since 3.6.1 which was released in June of 2011. :)

http://ckeditor.com/blog/CKEditor-3.6.1-Released

Most likely our interface for the editor will change based on the new default skin for the 4.0 Suite (no, we are not ready to show screenshots). The skin will be independent of whatever editor we use.

We will not be creating our own WYSIWYG most likely. This is a very, very big task, a project unto itself. Projects like CKEditor have multiple developers focusing on JUST this piece.

We will evaluate all options, however CKEditor still seems to be the market leader and most likely editor that we will utilize.

HTML5 support has been present in CKEditor since 3.6.1 which was released in June of 2011. :smile:

http://ckeditor.com/blog/CKEditor-3.6.1-Released

Most likely our interface for the editor will change based on the new default skin for the 4.0 Suite (no, we are not ready to show screenshots). The skin will be independent of whatever editor we use.

We will not be creating our own WYSIWYG most likely. This is a very, very big task, a project unto itself. Projects like CKEditor have multiple developers focusing on JUST this piece.

Thank you for your reply brandon (by the way I've read an interview of yours some years ago, and some things you said on it motivated me to develop IPB apps, thank you! :D ). I expected you weren't ready to show a skin for it, so I didn't ask :D

Instead, can you say something about some of its new/changed features? We're very curious! :)

For example, a really nice feature would be uploading an attachment on the editor box by drag-and-drop. I know you're going to implement the drag-and-drop feature already, but I don't recall you saying it would be on the editor box or in a separate section (like now) :)

• 3 weeks later...

Question, if I wanted to upgrade my editor to the new version of ckeditor and some of its plugins, how easy would that be in file edits? I hope it's possible just wondering before I look into it.

Right now, quite troublesome.

In 4.0 we'll update to CKEditor 4 and then subsequently probably keep up to date, or yes, you can just upgrade it yourself.

Since we're currently using CKEditor 3, the changes are quite significant and a lot of the functionality would break since they changed the API quite a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

That's deceptive. It is referring to the file of the JS files, not of any execution speeds. CKEditor is compressed, and after it is loaded by the users browser will be cached for the next time making it almost instant.

While a small footprint is of course something to consider, it's not the thing to judge a script on.

There are probably a dozen editors out there and everyone will have their personal preference. We need something flexible that is able to accommodate the customizations we are going to throw at it (while also being reliable, maintained, etc.). In our previous investigations, very few editors are up to this task.

There's a reason CKEditor and TinyMCE are amongst the most-used WYSIWYG editors after all. Nothing against other editors out there of course, but it's hard to compete with a full developer team when it's a one-person show working on the editor in their spare time. :) (I'm not speaking of redactor specifically here, I know little about it personally).

First of all I want to point out that it is not my intention to convince you in choosing a replacement of CKEditor. I just think that when a product gets a major update, it is wise to investigate all current options on every part of the product. So it is more or less a product screening where customers and developers can gather valuable information to ensure a great product release.

That being said I understand that you (and we customers) need a flexible and reliable wysiwyg editor that you (we) can work with. On the other hand it makes sense to investigate if there have been any crucial changes within the editor market, lately. There are numerous posts on other boards that TinyMCE has also a lot of issues and that a competitive forum vendor switched to redactor recently because of these problems.

From a customer viewpoint I can only contribute my impression that CKEditor feels a little slow while loading the editor icons. It is not really all that of an issue, but it is noticeable compared to e.g. redactor. Speed is of course only one of many criteria when choosing an editor and I think that you will have profound reasons when you choose the right editor for your product.

As I have been active in open source development of one CMS, I can show how they solve editor integration smoothly. Probably you can pick up some ideas.

1. Global look-and-feel of the editor is set in ACP

post-148644-0-00465600-1369130982_thumb.

2. There are 3 roles to customize editor appearance (admin, publisher and user).

post-148644-0-13738400-1369131088_thumb.

You can see on the screenshot that editor toolbars are fully customizable for each role.

3. Every native or 3rd party editor plugin can be loaded additionally into plugin folder and switched on and off in the backend.

post-148644-0-37199500-1369131165_thumb.

This is just a "play" with settings making them not hardcoded in the js files but customizable. You do similar thing with different editor setting for admin and frontend right now. But your settings are still hardcoded and to change them (e. g. adding emoticons button to the comments) requires editing of core js.

• 3 weeks later...

a very little suggestion: multi-choice text emoticon? such as I use :P as :tongue: or :lingua: ... I could make copies of emoticons, but I thought we could add to each box the option to choose alternative/alias as for bbcode.

thanks for your works

Archived