Are @ notifications going to be a core feature in 4.0?

PTD

Seems to be becoming a common feature across the web. I think it would be useful if we could get notifications to members if they get mentioned, whether it's in a forum post, a blog post, an article in IP.Content, or wherever. Is this planned in 4.0? And if not, will you please consider it as a core feature?

Thanks! :)

it could be like facebook, when you type @Marcher Technologies for example, it will parse your name as a link :tongue:

please.

actually look at the reality of doing this. I do not want @ to start gobbling up and linking characters because of a facebook fad.

I would be more inclined to agree with an option for the member bbcode firing off a notification than the @ being misused in this way. @ and # hold more meaning than what twitter and facebook seem determined to reduce them to. Those characters are not some global symbol for mentioning something, regardless of the blatant misuse of them to do so by certain social networks.

Also... at a more developmental mindset, the only reason FB/Twitter can sanely do this is *everything* is plaintext input.

in a WYSIWYG, with free-form input like this, that is asking for subtle bugs.

I'd prefer people just stick to quoting posts and not harassing random members with pointless highlights.

I definitely agree with Marcher on keeping this strictly a community mod though. It's an unnecessary core functionality for forum software.

I think the @mentions and #hashtags have passed "fad" stage and have become "the way of doing things" on social networks. That said, not every community/forum is designed to be a social network, so I don't really see the need to prioritize adding a feature such as @mentions over any of the other numerous improvements IPB needs. A mod already exists (although I would personally never install it simply due to the mod author's unprofessional attitude on the description page, but that is besides the point here), and people so inclined can use that.

I'm going to agree with this.

(OT)......I would simply like to know how sensible terms are unprofessional? I see nothing there to object to as you apparently are, nor nothing rude, just cutting down on ridiculousness in the support topic/author PM box..

2, 4, 5, and 6 are implicit for every mod unless directed otherwise. 4 is tolerated by many, but not helpful, we write a readme for a reason. 6 is a mixed bag, generally... some will flat disable their personal messenger, some tolerate it as I do.

I think the @mentions and #hashtags have passed "fad" stage and have become "the way of doing things" on social networks. That said, not every community/forum is designed to be a social network, so I don't really see the need to prioritize adding a feature such as @mentions over any of the other numerous improvements IPB needs. A mod already exists (although I would personally never install it simply due to the mod author's unprofessional attitude on the description page, but that is besides the point here), and people so inclined can use that.

I'm going to agree with this.

(OT)......I would simply like to know how sensible terms are unprofessional? I see nothing there to object to as you apparently are, nor nothing rude, just cutting down on ridiculousness in the support topic/author PM box..

2, 4, 5, and 6 are implicit for every mod unless directed otherwise. 4 is tolerated by many, but not helpful, we write a readme for a reason.

^ What Marcher said.. Nothing wrong with those terms,

I think it would be great.
You can write @ and the username and he has show a list of suggested users, and so you chose, it would remove the @ and put a direct link to the member's profile.
Because sometimes you want to add a link to a forum member, and must be selecting his name after taking the url of his profile and then mounting a link.
Writing @ the name and everything would be easier. I have no issue of notification, only wish I could mention a user more easily

Hook will no longer be provided to you for asking a "stupid question."

It would be helpful if you did not misquote others.

If you fail to abide by any of the above requirements then support for this hook will no longer be provided to you.

That is absolutely the author's prerogative, regardless that I would not take that tack myself.

Hook will no longer be provided to you for asking a "stupid question."

Stupid Questions - You may not ask how to install this hook. The installation instructions are provided in the .zip file. Additionally, you may not ask if this hook is compatible with a certain version of the software. The supported version is listed on the download page.

Seems more than fair enough to me. I've seen people ask if a 3.4.x mod is going to work for 3.0.x even though it lists 3.4.x ONLY .. Another stupid question often asked is, "How do I install this mod?"+... The readme gives you advice on how to install

They would be the most common stupid questions ;)

I hear answering them helps.

..........Patience. To deal with this you need literal trucks of it. If one tolerates them, they will be repeated++.

Something detailed in bold in 40px font in the readme will be asked a minimum of 40 times, if lucky.

I am generally not a very patient person, or at least I wasn't. Forced to grow a skin of leather for being a nice person. :)

I'm simply stating it is wholly the authors prerogative to take this stance, just as it is yours to disagree with it.

I hear answering them helps.

Is it our fault that they do NOT check the supported versions before they download? NO

Is it also our fault they do NOT read the readme/install information before asking how to install it? Again NO.

So all in all, people should really read/check the mod before downloading it, it'll most likely Never happen but hey got to start somewhere.

please no.
@The #hashtag @fad #is @just #that, @a #fad @that #will @pass.
leave it a mod.

Eh, fad or not I think that it's a legitimate form of user interaction. I was a member of a really large VB forum which had this @mention function and it was the primary mode of communication between users. There's a difference between posts on a forum and posts on a community. IPS 4 is a community suite and in a community users talk to each other, they get to know each other, and they need a way to bring a person's attention to their post. On the forum I was talking about @mentions were used to bring a staff members attention to a thread (incredibly faster and more convenient for the end user than submitting a report or sending a PM though it lacks in privacy), to bring users attentions to new updates in forum games like mafia and to address other people in a topic and let them know that they are being addressed. Besides typing @someone has been a regular thing to do since the beginning of message boards. Having that @ action actually send a notification to ensure that the person being addressed is notified of that is a good thing and improves interactions.

The forum I was talking about converted to xenforo and xenforo has an @mention mod as well because this is just a modern day feature that that community has grown dependent on. Having seen it used in action I really think that the feature brings lots of benefit to communities. If your board is just a forum with information and not a little hang out club for your members then I can see where you disagree, but I view forums as a place to make friends and meet new people and @mentions contribute towards keeping the conversation going and keeping everyone in touch with each other and letting them know when they are being spoken to even if they haven't posted in the thread yet (this is where quoting falls short). I didn't make this hook because of the demand for it but because I legitimately think that it's a good idea and that it's an improvement on community interactions. I've noticed that the feature is primarily used by younger users and that older people or people who have been around forums for a long time (like certain people in this thread) are more apprehensive towards the feature. The thing I like about IPS is that even though they're older they continue to be innovative and are aware of what the current generation prefers in terms of forum trends. I do indeed hope that @mentions becomes a core feature of the IPS Suite. :)

please.
actually look at the reality of doing this. I do not want @ to start gobbling up and linking characters because of a facebook fad.
I would be more inclined to agree with an option for the member bbcode firing off a notification than the @ being misused in this way. @ and # hold more meaning than what twitter and facebook seem determined to reduce them to. Those characters are not some global symbol for mentioning something, regardless of the blatant misuse of them to do so by certain social networks.
Also... at a more developmental mindset, the only reason FB/Twitter can sanely do this is *everything* is plaintext input.
in a WYSIWYG, with free-form input like this, that is asking for subtle bugs.

I just let IPB do all of it's parsing, cleaning, whatever it does and then capture the final result, find the @'s, and reformat the profile links in. Not much room for bugs there I believe.

Archived