Mention a user, like FaceBook

Apiweb

I think it would be cool can mention a user in a post, with a system similar to FaceBook / Twitter, @ typing and typing the first few letters of the username, it would autocomplete the nick of the user, as with the link to the profile. Or show the list of users that begin with those letters.
And the user mentioned, could receive a notification informing that was quoted.
I think that would make it much easier to quote a user.

There is already hook for that although it's too expensive...

I hope too IPS will implement this feature in the future :smile:

I think it could be applied in the development of version 4.0, it would be a nice addition to have this functionality already native to the system.

There is already hook for that although it's too expensive...

I hope too IPS will implement this feature in the future :smile:

$17 is too expensive for you?

Your forum must not be all that important then.

I don't really support adding this as a native function into IPB. This is something that's best left hookable in my eyes.

Forums already have a better way of mentioning users. Quoting.

$17 isn't bad, I'm on my phone right now but will be looking into this in the future.

Daniel

$17 isn't bad, I'm on my phone right now but will be looking into this in the future.

Daniel

Just FYI, my hook doesn't autocomplete the name of the user.

It's a good mod, I think there's value within the price but I do feel room to offer a little more flexibility in terms of a few additional features. Example removing @ after, so you it looks like a normal conversation. It would be nice to have the fb and twitter option of choose who your seeking, on big forums it isn't always possible to click the @ mention.

I'd consider buying if I were anyone reading.

$17 is too expensive for you?

This is my opinion about the hook you mentionned, yes.
Many others hooks/applications (with more features, etc. and probably with more coding need) are cheaper.
Coder has decided to purpose his hook at $17. I completly respect that but I can find that too expensive, yes.

But if it isn't too expensive for you, you can offer me. It will be appreciated.

Your forum must not be all that important then.

Strange deduction... So, no comment.

Forums already have a better way of mentioning users. Quoting.

Quoting and classic mentions are definetly different of mentions with notifications (alert system).

Strange deduction... So, no comment.

In my opinion if you're not willing to spend a mere $17 for the function, it must not be that important to you or your community, because $17 is not that high of a price. If someone thinks the price is too high and thinks there's enough demand to warrant them spending their own time to code their own version of the hook, then that would be great. If you think it's too expensive and want to take up the challenge of coding the function yourself, I encourage you to take a stab at it.

Quoting and classic mentions are definetly different of mentions with notifications (alert system).

Not sure I really understand what you're saying here, but quotes can/do send notifications to users, and I believe the most common reason for @highlighting someone is to respond to something they said. I don't want my members starting to use @highlighting in replacement of actual quotes.

I think it would be great.
You can write @ and the username and he has show a list of suggested users, and so you chose, it would remove the @ and put a direct link to the member's profile.
Because sometimes you want to add a link to a forum member, and must be selecting his name after taking the url of his profile and then mounting a link.
Writing @ the name and everything would be easier. I have no issue of notification, only wish I could mention a user more easily

In my opinion if you're not willing to spend a mere $17 for the function, it must not be that important to you or your community, because $17 is not that high of a price. If someone thinks the price is too high and thinks there's enough demand to warrant them spending their own time to code their own version of the hook, then that would be great. If you think it's too expensive and want to take up the challenge of coding the function yourself, I encourage you to take a stab at it.

Not sure I really understand what you're saying here, but quotes can/do send notifications to users, and I believe the most common reason for @highlighting someone is to respond to something they said. I don't want my members starting to use @highlighting in replacement of actual quotes.
attachicon.gifScreenshot from 2013-04-14 00:09:53.png

How do you get quotes to send notifications like this to the users?

• 1 year later...

Archived