Suggestion: Providing Legacy Versions

Stritix

My suggestion to improve IP. Board's service would be to provide legacy versions of the software. It's generally a lot more professional to do so.

I vastly prefer IP. Board over vBulletin, however this is one of the few areas where they excel in. They provide downloads to legacy versions of their software. While the legacy versions may be unsupported, all licensed customers are able to download them.

They don't. Those are just a few of the latest releases. I'm talking about older versions such as the earlier 3.0 releases, 2.0 releases, etc.

Here are some examples:

2191-ip.board4.jpg' alt='' class='ipsIma" alt="2191-ip.board4.jpg">

06o41br7xzbwz3b9nmt1.png' alt='' class='" alt="06o41br7xzbwz3b9nmt1.png">

My personal license isn't to do with the topic at hand. My suggestion is to help improve IP. Board's service.

The only releases that I currently see are those that are not EOL. Anything 3.1 or older is EOL.

As an FYI, many of those older versions wouldn't install properly on PHP 5.3 / 5.4 and the newer MySQL versions.

They don't. Those are just a few of the latest releases. I'm talking about older versions such as the earlier 3.0 releases, 2.0 releases, etc.

Here are some examples:

2191-ip.board4.jpg' alt='' class='ipsIma" alt="2191-ip.board4.jpg">

06o41br7xzbwz3b9nmt1.png' alt='' class='" alt="06o41br7xzbwz3b9nmt1.png">

My personal license isn't to do with the topic at hand. My suggestion is to help improve IP. Board's service.

This would degrade service.

It is nice the padding they provide for EOL, I can tell you as a free-lancer providing premades my personal EOL is $current_long_version-1.

I am not going to support a code-base I just fixed a dozen bugs in, or a critical bug in, and provide the same answer EOL gets from IPS, upgrade the app/hook already.

This would degrade service and support of the current codebase for support of ones with flaws(notably, 2.x is at severe security risk).

That is not what I was suggesting.

vBulletin provides them for users to use at their own risk, unsupported (as mentioned in the opening post). It's a common practise for companies to provide older, but unsupported versions of their software. I was rather surprised that Invision Power doesn't.

I strongly agree with this suggestion. IPS must take this into account, thereby improving their service and also offer other options for their customers. But of course, must warn new customers with a notice that when you download previous versions (they are in a state of EOL = End of life - End of support these versions of software) and that customers should take all responsibility and at their own risk the problems of using outdated software.
Many software companies offer the option to view previous versions of the software, even some free software have this option (for excellence WordPress). IPS Being a professional should know that enabling this option to its users, it would be one of the best improvements we have obtained the service offered by IPS. Not to mention, it is very sad that a great software and service as offered IPS, does not have an option which is so common -------> View previous versions (and can download them with an active license)

Your all talking past each other here, and personally I don't care one way or the other, and if I did, I have my own legacy version downloads archived back to v2.2 anyway.

Those against legacy versions lament that it would be too big a burden to support it.

However. Those asking for legacy versions are only asking for access to the files, they are not asking for support.

I fail to see why anyone would want such an old version.

You're going to have installation and code base issues with newer versions of PHP and MySQL.

Also, there have likely been security issues identified after IPS EOL'ed them that do not have patches.

You're likely asking for problems using said older versions.

• Management

We used to. We were still consumed with "I know it's unsupported but........" questions that are just, frankly, a waste of everyone's time. It's not just a "use at your own risk" type of thing - it's a you WILL be compromised type of thing. Then we have antiquated releases running on production sites, people blame the software because it says IPS at the bottom.

We do try to listen to all feedback and take the same into consideration, but on this, I'm afraid discussion isn't even necessary. The answer is a resounding no, I'm afraid.

Thank you for inquiring, however.

Archived