Feature Request: E-mail Validation

Hexsplosions

This is not my idea, but it would certainly solve one of the admin overheads I have to deal with on a daily basis:

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/383151-re-enter-email-address-on-sign-up/?p=2388265

What about giving users the option to change their e-mail on the "resend validation" page instead?

We've had to deal with a lot of member queries and validation issues, all due to the entry of an incorrect e-mail address. Usually this results in a duplicate account, so we end up deleting one or the other, then renaming or amending e-mail addresses, etc. Very messy.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi mark

I think we both mean validation before an email is sent out - by requiring the new member to enter an email address twice, and to make it match. It's when we send an email to confirm or check that these go wrong. I have just had a reply from support confirming that it is not currently included.

Keith

The email confirmation field used to be a feature in previous versions but was removed in IP.Board 3.2 unfortunately. I'm not sure where you posted your topic but this - http://community.inv...-modifications/ - is the best forum as our 3rd-party developers regularly visit that forum. If you didn't post it there, please send me the link to it and I will be happy to move it for you.

Many thanks,
Alan.

--
Alan Wagstaff
Invision Power Services, Inc

This feature already exists.

I disagree.

I've tested the resend validation process out and the user has to actively hunt for their e-mail address. The user group most likely to enter their e-mail wrong is the same group that is most likely to be challenged in locating the function to change it. Just because a slightly more savvy person can find it and change it does not make it the right approach.

This is one of my niggles with the IPS software. If a savvy user can do it then it is assumed it's right.

The better approach, IMO, would be to present the e-mail address back to the user to give them a chance to review it.

1. Click on the link to resend validation
  2. Present the e-mail back to the user so they can check it (and thus, correct it)
  3. Update the e-mail with any corrections and resend the validation mail

Far fewer steps than your current method...

2. Wait for the e-mail that never arrives
  3. Access profile
  4. Change e-mail
  5. Click on the link to resend validation (again)

This assumes, of course, that they realise they may have made a mistake and that they know where find the e-mail. Unlikely.

Sloppy design.

Far fewer steps than your current method...

2. Wait for the e-mail that never arrives
  3. Access profile
  4. Change e-mail
  5. Click on the link to resend validation (again)

This assumes, of course, that they realise they may have made a mistake and that they know where find the e-mail. Unlikely.

I always assumed that before the validation a user could not login... I believe most of users if do not receive the validation email either register another account or go away.

So, I think this feature request makes sense.

Archived