Invalid emails on members accounts

nylyon

Sometimes a members e-mail will become invalid, for a variety of reasons. It would be be great if a moderator / admin could set a flag that the members email is invalid which can serve 2 purposes. First, if the flag is set, do not send e-mail to that invalid address and second when the member accesses the system send them to a screen to update their e-mail address (with an explanation why).

I raised this a while ago

Other thing is if the email becomes bad - ie member doesnt use it for 6+ months and the free email provider (hotmail or whoever) - deletes it

Also user signs in through twitter or fb and can have a weird 839249283473298@me.com email or none at all - then forum sends out bulk mails and all these bounce

not too bad but when using mail stuff like mandrill it gives you negative for all the bounces - which should have been ignored from ipb software

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

We are using Mandrill and the negative impact of bounced emails is being felt in our account rating.

From what I can tell, there are a variety of emails that can be sent, and I will simply list those that come from our board:

• bulk admin emails
  • personal message notification emails
  • forum and topic notification emails
  • (I guess we could lump the above two emails into one category and call them 'notification emails'
  • Auto Birthday Greeter emails

Thank you for considering this feature.

Brian

• 4 months later...

Having a way to deal with bounce emails would be great. We don't use the bulk mailer much at all due to the higher number of bounces. I'd love to see the system process bounced emails and automatically disable the member account or warn them or something.

Im 100% on this as well.

Plus I wish there was a different email address [admin email] when members by mistake 'reply' to an email from a PM which comes to me.

Kinda like we have two emails on the ACP side, one for admin stuff and one for member PMs or something. It's quite annoying. I receive at least 10 a day that I manually reply to the member saying they emailed me and not the actual member they wanted to.

Sometimes a members e-mail will become invalid, for a variety of reasons. It would be be great if a moderator / admin could set a flag that the members email is invalid which can serve 2 purposes. First, if the flag is set, do not send e-mail to that invalid address and second when the member accesses the system send them to a screen to update their e-mail address (with an explanation why).

Good suggestion.

+1

Silence is amazing -- IPB seems to care about selling 'more' licenses to new boards then helping more established larger sites. These sites however are what folks see on the internet and then want to start their own site with.

Help us IPB? Seriously this is a big deal.

The blacklist thing is a concern. This feature likely won't help already existing forums, but there isn't any point to forums having email features if they can't get messages sent.

Much more useful feature than status updates.

I already ask for this few times without success.

IPB should setup something so we stop sending tons of emails to invalid addresses. This is becoming a big concern to me and no, I don't want to pay to mandrill to have this feature, thanks,

Archived