Users complaining it's complicated to include images

bigPaws

Our users, 17,000 or so, are interested in discussing all things dog related, they don't have a background in using online applications. So, when they want to insert an image in to their post, they see the image icon (the one of the tree) and click it assuming they can upload a photo. Instead they are presented with:

Image Properties

URL:

No instructions, no explanation. The more savvy realise they need to put in a URL to an image hosting site, but even then they sometimes put the URL wrapped in %7Boption%7D tags. The less savvy just wonder what on earth a "URL" is and how can they select their image on their computer!

Why are there no instructions in this pop-up explaining to newbie users what to do? Or, much, much better idea - the image icon should pop-up a combined dialogue that enables you to either enter a URL or upload a file from your computer. This kind of combined approach has been available for years on other sites/applications.

Rant over, but come on IPS - you need to see these things from a newbie's point of view - people clicking the editor's image icon assume it will allow them to insert an image easily, but at the moment (remember this is from a newbie's POV) it's anything but straight forward - in fact, they have to ignore the image button and click Attach Files - but wait, then we get "I wanted to attach a photo, not a file - is that the same thing?" ;)

Especially as this is built in in CKE, and removed from IPB's CKE.

There's an interesting MOD in the market place to put it back (it's difficult to find, like everything in the MP anyway), but I recommend you customize it, as it has security issues (to my linkings). It's also a dead project. I added a couple of lines to actually make sure what was uploaded is indeed an image before saving it to disk ! And other things..

As I have not the slightest idea how to make a proper "mod" people would be able to install, sorry I cannot share easily. Maybe there's some doc somewhere about how to create a proper "product" ? I don't even want to sell it, but it's such a FAQ that I thought I could help for once, instead of shouting :smile:

Thanks for the heads up. What would be nice is if IPS developers and co. picked up on this feedback. It's all a bit circa 1999 having two different processes to add an image depending on whether you're hot linking or attaching. Furthermore, the attach dialogue doesn't show on quick reply, so most people (newbies again) don't realise it's available. This would be resolved if the image icon on the editor provided a combi box (URL or upload) which, apparently, is what it normally does - just not inside IP.B!

Some while back I used another forum layout and imageshack was a mod that could be embedded in the posts. It proved quite popular. Just found this from Imageshack IS Syndicate I see that the IPB version is 2 x so not sure whether it would be any good. I urge my members to join either Photobucket or Imageshack now and just add the image code required. Not ideal I know, but until......it's the best I can think of.

Is there any way of seeing whether IPS staff have even read this feedback? I know they can't reply to each one, but if they have a feedback forum (which obviously they do) then it would be good for customers to at least know that their feedback has been seen - otherwise it makes the process pointless :)

Great stuff, I guess I was suggesting a new tool/feature where you could almost indicate that IPS had read it without having to commit to anything, just a simple tick box on your side and then on our side it could say "IPS Read This", that way you could bulk tick the threads you've read?

Just an idea but don't want to distract from the point of this thread and hopefully you'll have some good news regarding ease of uploading images soon :smile:

Yes, I've seen this feedback. :smile: I see virtually every feedback topic posted. Believe me - it actually consumes a LOT of my time even when I DON'T reply. :smile:

so how much time did I just waste ? :)

FWIW the staff here do seem to be really good at reading these things.

• 3 weeks later...

One thing I just noticed over at vBulletin (apart from vb5 :unsure: ) is that in their issue tracker, they break out the following:

Filter Results: Customer Suggestions Implemented in Latest vB4 Release

This seems like a great idea and gives the users a greater feeling that their suggestions are not only read, but occasionally implemented too! :smile:

Maybe the IPS management could consider this or some other way to recognise that the suggestions we give for free (which then go in to a paid, profit making, product) are not only appreciated by IPS but that they are also useful - at least I assume some of our suggestions are ! ;)

I'm not saying IPS shouldn't add more instructions, but I do recommend you also do something too.

Add a banner to your forum with this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/URL and encourage people to read it. Better yet, make a topic explaining what it is.

Educating your members as to what a URL is will benefit them far more than just telling them how to post an image. It will assist them in all other websites they visit.

In a perfect world, all internet users should know what a URL is. It's a basic component.

In a perfect world, all internet users should know what a URL is. It's a basic component.

Unfortunately our World is far from perfect.

These two together made me think of this...

Bruce: "I tried to avoid all this, but I can't. It's not a perfect world."
Vickie: "It doesn't have to be a perfect world."

Agree 100%, at the moment I have the "image button" disabled for the same reason: no external hot-linking and want user images to stay in my server.

It is tedious for the user to be obliged to use "More Reply Options" and attachment system (also located at the bottom of the editor) in order to upload photos.

Please, consider to enable the "Image Button" also for attachments and give the option to disable for external links.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

One option I would like to have is use any screen capture then simply paste in the post.

Lots of the post done on my community is relate to how do to thing and people post screen capture to illustrate what step or option to use

I have Microsoft one note and the window+S allow me to capture a portion of the screen.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived