URL Change 15$

Halabit

Important Information

- This tool will reset the URL on your license, meaning there will be no URL. You will then need to activate your license in the Admin CPat the new location in order to set the URL.
- You are permitted to perform this once during the first 30 days after purchase, and then once per 6 months thereafter. Additional requests will require payment of a $15 fee.
- You must remove your existing installation before performing the reset. It is against the terms of the license to have more than one installation at a time.
- If you have any questions or concerns, please contact account assistance before performing reset.

I've been IPB customer since 2009. I had IPB forum for two years. Last year I been mostly inactive because my community went down, so after long time I decided to take a peek in client area and honestly better I didn't.

"and then once per 6 months thereafter. Additional requests will require payment of a $15 fee" ... this is just twisting peoples arm , they have to pay every six months for support and updates plus if they want to change forum url more the once 15$ fee , this is just ridiculous. As customer I bought my forum software license (and not for small amount of money) and I should be able to change it when I want it. To prevent misuse I could understand like three to five url changes in six months , but this current one url change for six months is ridiculous.

Lets take an example, my url is still active for my community wich doesn't exist anymore nor domain is active.So I open a new website and change url for free once. After couple of months we decide we want to take another direction and want to change website name and I need to pay 15$ for url license domain change , and I payed already for IPB software and license is mine to change to what domain I want and not to allow someone to twist my arm for more money.

I don't want to flame , but this is really awful ... if I knew this three years ago I would never bought IPB , no matter how much I liked it .

Why would you need to change the URL 3 - 5 times in a 6 month period? If you transfer it to someone else then there is a fee which was $10 I think (I'm probably wrong). But if you need to change a url 3 - 5 times within 6 months you should sit down and think about what type of site you want to run first.

And I guess you don't want to head over to vB either then:

1.4 Domain Use. The Software may only be used on a single website domain. Any modification of the Software intended to circumvent the foregoing is prohibited and will result in revocation of the License. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the License may be transferred to another domain with vBulletin Solutions’ prior written consent and a transfer fee subject to the vBulletin Solutions then current fees.

Honestly at least the folks here give you an amount rather than hiding it in words.

• Management

While I appreciate the feedback and understand your concern, it's pretty unusual for someone, especially a customer of 3 years, to change their URL more than once every renewal period.

Unfortunately, we live in an age where people abuse everything -- even as simple as URL changes. I think you'll find this with our competitors as well. :)

The policy has put a significant dent in license fraud in that regard, with minimal impact to legitimate customers. In fact, this is the first complaint I've read in quite some time about the URL change.

We are also fairly accommodating if you send us a friendly message. We routinely modify URLs for people moving from domain.com/forums to domain.com or domain.com/community. We're not evil, just protecting our interests as well as those that play by the rules. :smile:

While I appreciate the feedback and understand your concern, it's pretty unusual for someone, especially a customer of 3 years, to change their URL more than once every renewal period.

Well if you read my example in first post you can see there can be reason for at least two url changes.

Unfortunately, we live in an age where people abuse everything -- even as simple as URL changes. I think you'll find this with our competitors as well. :smile:

The policy has put a significant dent in license fraud in that regard, with minimal impact to legitimate customers. In fact, this is the first complaint I've read in quite some time about the URL change.

I totally understand and agree , nowdays there is a lot of fraud. I personally didn't changed license for three years but still knowing you can gives you flexibility , assurance and faith in company (at least in my case).
This is first time I heard about 15$ for URL change , before making this topic I used search but sadly I didn't got any search results with subject of this topic and then I decided to make a topic and say my two cents. As I said I don't want to flame just wanted to say what I thought about this subject.

We are also fairly accommodating if you send us a friendly message. We routinely modify URLs for people moving from domain.com/forums to domain.com or domain.com/community. We're not evil, just protecting our interests as well as those that play by the rules. :smile:

I agree and understand you need to protect your interest but I need to think about mine as well , what you give and what you get. There was a reason I chooice at first place IPB and not VBulleting :smile: . I know you guys are very accommodating and frendly but when I read this I was getting a feeling you are starting to look like competition wich I personally don't like.

Why would you need to change the URL 3 - 5 times in a 6 month period? If you transfer it to someone else then there is a fee which was $10 I think (I'm probably wrong). But if you need to change a url 3 - 5 times within 6 months you should sit down and think about what type of site you want to run first.

And I guess you don't want to head over to vB either then:

Honestly at least the folks here give you an amount rather than hiding it in words.

I don't want to transfer to anyone my license nor in general I would need more then two license change in first six months later i one would be ok but flexibility and knowing you can is something wich I personally like.

As for VBulleting , I don't want to bad mouth them but there is a reason I bought IPB and not VBulletin. With this changes I'm just getting a feeling what once made IPB great is starting to fade away.

P.S. Sorry for bad formating , Chrome is acting up while I was writting , twice I got my editor cleared and atleast three times all text just double itself :smile:

• Management

I don't think I can add anything that Lindy hasn't. We try and strike a balance between protecting ourselves from fraud (and it happens multiple times a day in various guises) and client convenience.

As Lindy has said, if you're just moving the forum within your own domain, then a friendly ticket to account assistance will be all that is needed.

I'm sorry if you feel that we're being somewhat underhand, that really isn't the case. This is the first complaint I've read about this issue for a very long time, so I suspect that it's not something that a majority of our customers are concerned with.

• 4 months later...

What IPB can do, ( sorry for adding to this topic ) is that, make the license changeble every month, so if they buy a domain, in one month, they can change it again freely, in other month, now, if they got a domain with then week, after week, you can charge them $26 fee or $12 fee, but to me, not many of us can't cover the fee cost due to domain's now in ( age ) is alot of price, for my domain, i had to pay $100 for 3 years, in 2006, for 2 domains, now, again, i hope that IPB can do some thing about this, and work on other way around it, as me, i only make so much money online, as Full time tech, and DC, we are not 100% easy to get money like IPB does now where they are rich, and never have to pay there own IPB, now with VB i'm not sure on, but they do or don't have what IPB as with license charge i can be wrong, as i never had them, and never will.. i like IPB more then any one, but the fees are getting us hard on the bad time like this here in USA,

You have to understand, that USA job's are not what it use to be, so now every jobs are now online, like data typing and so on, much of us trying to get monthly income atleast to make it in the real world, how ever, IPB, some of you never had to get a job, and try to do $4.20/hour job for full time, and then taxes are taking out living you only $200 then having to pay for rent or food, or what ever - thing is, i wish that we all can make idea and use it, and maybe IPB can be HARD CODING TOP OF GOOGLE, and VB now

I hope some day IPB can change some of it fees and work with there clients more then wanting money, i'm not saying never have them pay for the fees, but i mean make it helpful for clients that as been with you the long time run....

• 2 years later...

I totally agree with this. I do also agree that you're not monsters and trying to protect yourself from fraud. But set yourselves apart from the competition. Stop being hard on people when it's not necessary. You and I both know that this doesn't stop fraudulent activities from happening though it does protect your servers from overload. But let's be real here on how many changes actually occur.  And you guys should realize you already create a steep price on the forum software and add-ons.  There should be a thin line of exceptional use  in what we as a customer have the right to do. Since we are purchasing owned licensing. Do note that sometimes we have ideas on projects and they don't strive so we move on to the next one. But seeing as we pay you to get updates etc. . We shouldn't have to pay you to change a licence. Fix this. It truly is a problem and don't be blind to the fact at hand. You will have more happy customers if you give them the freedom they deserve. 

You may not see complaints but a lot of us don't feel the need to bring things up. Or better yet don't want/ need the attention.  Now having said that and don't get me wrong iv been using IPB since 2009. I started out as a customer who used the service as nulled software. I waited until my community at the time was able to donate enough money soo we could all scrounge just to make sure we're doing our part and bought ipb. Iv had 2 licence soo far with you guys. Now left with only one. Which I don't plan on removing. But something you should keep in mind is that some of us do enjoy taking your software to its boundaries and doing something most aren't. For me that would be using the software to create a clothing store. As well as an ios central. But at a testing fast you limit us to resort to other resources by limiting what we can do with our licence in terms of domain switching. See in a case like this you really need to make exceptions. Because let's say I get my clothing store to work. Then yes as a dedicated customer I would buy a second licence. And a third if I got my ios central to work. But guess what. By controlling the masses for something soo simple we resort to other things.. ? not proud at all.

Say what you have to say, but don't try and say you're not making money already. This has to change.

​30 days is less 6 months !! correct $15 only issued if changed domain within less then 6 months so again can't see why change domain after x months ! when domain normal comes with 1 year price tag ? so again don't see where problem is reduces the amount people change the domain to license to reduce people misusing the license system. 

But guess what. By controlling the masses for something soo simple we resort to other things.. ? not proud at all.

Say what you have to say, but don't try and say you're not making money already. This has to change.

​That's completely blowing it out of proportion, oh and congratz on necro'ing a dead thread. 

I'm willing to bet that the majority of IPS's customers don't change their domain name every week; so how this is "Controlling the masses" and why does this need to change? What because you say so?

As Lindy has said, if you're just moving the forum within your own domain, then a friendly ticket to account assistance will be all that is needed.

I ran into this problem so it's good to know that a friendly ticket can resolve it. :lol:

Thread necro, if ever I saw it. :lol: 

It's fair, it's there to stop you hopping your domains between licences and thus getting support on all of them for the cost of only 1.

It's funny how most clients in the know are completely fine with it, then occasionally somebody posts exactly this as if it's news... :unsure:

• 11 months later...
11 minutes ago, AlienOrigins said:

I agree with the Op and thats the very reason I do  not use IPB anymore its just collecting dust.

most of the time just contacting Customer Service with your story and they usually find a solution (most of the time without charging you). bailing on your license over a potential 15$ is hilarious.

• Management
On 5/21/2016 at 2:35 PM, AlienOrigins said:

I agree with the Op and thats the very reason I do  not use IPB anymore its just collecting dust.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't just contact us? I see your payment for license reset in April and I've refunded the $15 fee. Had you contacted us, we would have most likely reset it for free, as we do every day. The limit is imposed simply to keep good people honest -- ie: prevent people from "license hopping" for support and updates. It's not intended as a hinderance; if you're not resetting every day and there's nothing fishy going on, we have no issue with doing a courtesy reset. 

On 1/25/2013 at 0:37 AM, Lindy said:

We are also fairly accommodating if you send us a friendly message. We routinely modify URLs for people moving from domain.com/forums to domain.com or domain.com/community. We're not evil, just protecting our interests as well as those that play by the rules.

I can completely vouch for this. I've been given 2 complimentary url changes due to errors on my part. Poor license distribution landed me with a backwards dev site and vise-versa. If it's a reasonable inquire to change your url then rest assured it shall be done, within reason. 

5 hours ago, Lindy said:

I'm not sure why you wouldn't just contact us? I see your payment for license reset in April and I've refunded the $15 fee. Had you contacted us, we would have most likely reset it for free, as we do every day. The limit is imposed simply to keep good people honest -- ie: prevent people from "license hopping" for support and updates. It's not intended as a hinderance; if you're not resetting every day and there's nothing fishy going on, we have no issue with doing a courtesy reset. 

I have to admit that this charge is fair and understand the reasoning behind it (not often I agree with IPS policies but this one I do)

On May 21, 2016 at 2:50 PM, MADMAN32395 said:

most of the time just contacting Customer Service with your story and they usually find a solution (most of the time without charging you). bailing on your license over a potential 15$ is hilarious.

Its not when you live paycheck to paycheck....$15 may come easy for a lot of you but it does not for me.

7 hours ago, Lindy said:

Thank you for the refund I appreciate it.....Will take what you said in consideration with respect to the url change next time.

Archived