WordPress IPSConnect

Marcher Technologies

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.....About Me from IPB used instead? If not I'm confused.... show links to both IPB/WP UCP?

That would work in theory, except that some of our members use their IPB "About Me" as a more in-depth bio, whereas our magazine bios are quite short.

Ideally, we'd be able to make a custom field in IPB profiles from which WP would draw it's author bios.

Hi Marcher,

Im a bit confused, what is the difference between your IPSConnect Wordpress MOD and the IPBWI Wordpress Bridge von Matthias at http://ipbwi.com/ ?

Cheers :smile:
Mario

His is an entire bridge and programming API requiring direct access to IPB, ergo, same-server access.

Mine strives to be a flexible, lightweight, plug and play solution while allowing me, and others, to keep wordpress *away* from IPB for security reasons.

His is an entire bridge and programming API requiring direct access to IPB, ergo, same-server access.

Mine strives to be a flexible, lightweight, plug and play solution while allowing me, and others, to keep wordpress *away* from IPB for security reasons.

You mean with this MOD I could have my IPB in one server or domain or subdomain and my Wordpress somewhere else?

Sorry for asking, but, What are those "security reasons" of having Wordpress and IPB on the same domain and server?

You mean with this MOD I could have my IPB in one server or domain or subdomain and my Wordpress somewhere else?

Correct.

Sorry for asking, but, What are those "security reasons" of having Wordpress and IPB on the same domain and server?

Frankly? I have 0 faith in WordPress not getting hacked to the point of server vulnerability.

The security is in knowing if that happens, your IPB install is on a completely different machine, and in my case a completely different host, well away from reach of anything nasty occurring.

I read through this thread and may have missed it or misunderstood something, but would replies (comments) to an article and replies in the corresponding thread by synched? I see that comments made to an article get copied over to the thread, but I can't tell if it works in reverse. I've been considering IPBWI but honestly it's a little confusing for me to work with. This is significantly cheaper and if it does that, I'd be happy to purchase. If you ever add the ability to have the userbar up at the top, it would match the exact functionality I wanted IPBWI for!

Edit:

After posting this I started going through the comment thread for the Marketplace item and it seems this is planned! If I purchased this now and installed it, would the replies appear on articles retroactively once the feature is added?

I read through this thread and may have missed it or misunderstood something, but would replies (comments) to an article and replies in the corresponding thread by synched? I see that comments made to an article get copied over to the thread, but I can't tell if it works in reverse. I've been considering IPBWI but honestly it's a little confusing for me to work with. This is significantly cheaper and if it does that, I'd be happy to purchase. If you ever add the ability to have the userbar up at the top, it would match the exact functionality I wanted IPBWI for!

Edit:

After posting this I started going through the comment thread for the Marketplace item and it seems this is planned! If I purchased this now and installed it, would the replies appear on articles retroactively once the feature is added?

Yes.

This will also obviously have an on-off....

It's going to end up being a live pull if I am unable to figure out a better way(wp caches the result set internally as well where I am doing this, so not so horrible)... pinging wp from IPB on new post generally seems like a bad idea(and viably highly complex).

Still working with it, but yes, it is a given in my eyes that the update would be required to be seamless.

Well I installed this, didn't work.

my master is my IPB board which is on forum.gamingforce.us
my wordpress is on gamingforce.us and both are hosting on the same hosting.
my server has the latest PHP software.

my IPB and WP software is up to date.
the 3 widgets that were suppose to appear didn't show up.
under settings on WP for (MT) WordPress IPSConnect 1.0.6 it says this to the right: DISABLED XML-RPC DISABLED

I've doubled checked the plugin and it is active.

I've installed and followed the instructions carefully but I didn't do anything for the slave options on the WP plugin as I'm not sure what to input.

So I'm not sure what I am missing here.

edit, I noticed that I had IPS connect locked and disabled. I enabled it but didn't change anything.

Well I installed this, didn't work.

my master is my IPB board which is on forum.gamingforce.us
my wordpress is on gamingforce.us and both are hosting on the same hosting.
my server has the latest PHP software.
my IPB and WP software is up to date.
the 3 widgets that were suppose to appear didn't show up.
under settings on WP for (MT) WordPress IPSConnect 1.0.6 it says this to the right: DISABLED XML-RPC DISABLED

I've doubled checked the plugin and it is active.

I've installed and followed the instructions carefully but I didn't do anything for the slave options on the WP plugin as I'm not sure what to input.

So I'm not sure what I am missing here.

edit, I noticed that I had IPS connect locked and disabled. I enabled it but didn't change anything.

Please follow the readme as given, Do Not Skip Steps unless instructed and relevant to your use, skipping steps in the readme file is the guaranteed best way to never get it working. The means to retrieve the information you need to use for that is detailed in the Readme.
Where explicitly could I make this more clear? I am quite open to suggestion, but step 1 is step 1 with a reason, without that info gathered to input on step 4, My code does nothing, by design and necessarily, I *need* those master details:

Step 1: Get Master Url/Key
If your Master is IPB, a good guide on this is Here
If Not, consult the documentation/author of your master application for where to obtain these details.

Step 2: Upload WordPress Plugin
In Your FTP Program, navigate to the WordPress 'Root' directory.
(where /wp-admin/, /wp-content/, /wp-includes/ and such are listed.)
Upload the contents of the included /wp/ directory to this directory.

Step 3: Activate Plugin
Visit The WordPress Admin 'Plugins' Page, Activate the '(MT) WordPress IPSConnect' Plugin.

Step 4: Configure Settings: SSO
Visit the WordPress Admin 'Settings' => '(MT) IPSConnect' Page.
Fill In the 'Master URL' and 'Master Key' you obtained in Step 1.
Fill In the 'Return Url Post-Logout'(this is also used when WordPress gets all confused with wp-admin/redirects).
If not using the provided widgets/display name login or IPB is NOT the Master install, skip to step 8.

Step 5: Upload IPB API Module
In Your FTP Program, navigate to the IPB Master 'Root' directory.
(where /ips_kernel/, conf_global.php, initdata.php and such are listed.)
Upload the contents of the included /ipb/ directory to this directory.

Step 6: Configure Settings: IPB Master XML-RPC
Visit The IPB Master Admin 'System' => 'Tools & Settings' => 'API Users' Page.
Ensure The XML-RPC API Is Enabled.
If you see a Red 'DISABLED' Button, Click it and enable the API.
Click 'Create New User' or Edit an Existing User and Grant access to ALL of the following functions:
'fetchGroups', 'postTopic', 'postReply', 'fetchMember', 'fetchStats', 'fetchForums', 'fetchForumsOptionList', and 'fetchTopics'.
Collect that User's 'API Key' from the same page after creating/editing the API User, you will need this for step 7.

Step 7: Configure Settings: WordPress XML-RPC
Visit the WordPress Admin 'Settings' => '(MT) IPSConnect' Page.
Fill In the 'Master XML-RPC API Key' with the 'API Key' you obtained in Step 6. 3 New WordPress Widgets ('Topics', 'Forums', and 'Statistics') will now be available for configuration and re-use.

Step 8: Configure Settings: General
Configure the rest of the options listed on the WordPress Admin 'Settings' => '(MT) IPSConnect' Page as needed/desired.

The plugin 'active' in wordpress is just installed, if not configured, it is NOT 'active' in the traditional sense, nothing will happen, which is why I have the flags you mention on the plugin settings page.

If with this information you still are unable to configure it so that it is actually running, I do offer free installation/setup configuration with this mod. That said, I would highly prefer to know where I am losing you as the installee to minimize the need to do so.

The linked documentation in step 1 details the need to enable the ipsconnect login module, and it would not be relevant if you had a master not IPB(yet to happen, but taking no chances).

My complete apologies, I for some reason skipped over the last step of step 4. So sorry about that.

that has turn the flags green showing this was enabled.

But no data is being pulled into the widgets from the forum.

When I try to login with a forum test account it just says "ERROR: We could not log you in. Please try again later."

My complete apologies, I for some reason skipped over the last step of step 4. So sorry about that.

that has turn the flags green showing this was enabled.

But no data is being pulled into the widgets from the forum.

When I try to login with a forum test account it just says "ERROR: We could not log you in. Please try again later."

that is not normal, PM access details please.

is XML-RPC enabled on your server?

This sounds like a fantastic thing, Marcher. And no need for ioncube. 60$ is ok, because I know you support your customers.

I will buy this, but I have one question - and I know it doesnt really have anything to do with your product here.

For WP and IPB to be truly integrated for me, I would really love to have "div id=header_bar" from IPB fully functioning in my WP theme. This would erase any need for login-boxes on the WP-side and tie both installations together in a professional matter. If you would help me (us) achieve this I predict even more people will be attracted to buy this "bridge".

Is this something you would like to do, or is it completely irrelevant for this product?

I know your main competitor offers a solution to this, but I would rather buy from you to be honest.

Do the WordPress posts have a custom field we can insert an IPB thread link to associate an existing thread as the comment thread for the post? This would be useful in two cases I can think of (that apply to me!):

1. When switching from this WordPress plug-in that creates threads for each post and inserts a link into the post, but nothing else. The posts already exist after all.
  2. When someone creates a thread about some news and you create a WordPress post about it, but want to keep the discussion in the existing thread. Though this can also probably be solved by merging the old thread into the new one.

This sounds like a fantastic thing, Marcher. And no need for ioncube. 60$ is ok, because I know you support your customers.

I will buy this, but I have one question - and I know it doesnt really have anything to do with your product here.

For WP and IPB to be truly integrated for me, I would really love to have "div id=header_bar" from IPB fully functioning in my WP theme. This would erase any need for login-boxes on the WP-side and tie both installations together in a professional matter. If you would help me (us) achieve this I predict even more people will be attracted to buy this "bridge".

Is this something you would like to do, or is it completely irrelevant for this product?
I know your main competitor offers a solution to this, but I would rather buy from you to be honest.

hrmm.
That specific feature has come up before, directly.
Going to work out the kinks of topic/post synch then it is on my short list of @to-do.

Sounds good Marcher.

My new WP-posts will not create a new post in IP.Board.

My settings are correct as far as I can see, and I have tried several times.

Any ideas what could be wrong? This cross-commenting is the most important feature to me.

I assume XML-RPC is configured correctly? If not, that needs configured, if it is 'enabled'... check the debug panel accessible by clicking the text XML-RPC ENABLED.

Paste the table please.

Archived