WordPress IPSConnect

Marcher Technologies

Hi, I have some issues with this application.

I have successfully configured and set up this application on both IPB and WordPress (the WP plugin).

After enabling it, my users can't login in WordPress anymore, but they can't login in IPB too.

Before setting up and enabling your application, I have imported all my forums/topics/members from my bbPress install into IPB.

When I disable your WordPress plugin, my users can login in WordPress but not in IPB (I guess that's the fault of the importer).

Any ideas? Might enabling WP plugin > sending all my users new passwort through IPB the solution?

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After enabling it, my users can't login in WordPress anymore, but they can't login in IPB too.

Before setting up and enabling your application, I have imported all my forums/topics/members from my bbPress install into IPB.

When I disable your WordPress plugin, my users can login in WordPress but not in IPB (I guess that's the fault of the importer).

The two issues are likely related as the plugin makes WP use IPB auth, please disable this plugin for now to rule it out and submit a ticket to IPS support regarding converted passwords. Preferably with account credentials to reference that trigger the issue.

Sign in issues seem to be resolved! But I do have 2 more questions.

1. When I sign in it always redirects me to the forum, no matter where I am. I swear I read you should be redirected to the current page you're on after logging in, but I could be wrong.

2. When I click sign out on WP (it's the WP logout link) it redirects me to the forum where I am still logged in.

I can not find out the info I am trying to find Marcher. Can give me a few pointers?

1. My main site is my WP site and my Slave is the forums. Where do I get the master key for the WP site?

2. The 2 are on the same server and the same database so isn't there a more simple way to just have IPB read the usernames and passwords?

A little more info:

WP = www.mysite.com

IPB = www.mysite.com/forum

All my 100,000 members are on WP and the forum is new. I want them to all sign in the normal way or in the forums and be all logged in throughout the site (WP and Forum)

I can not find out the info I am trying to find Marcher. Can give me a few pointers?

1. My main site is my WP site and my Slave is the forums. Where do I get the master key for the WP site?

Reverse that. The plugin is built as a slave, with fallback measures supporting what you want, there is no master key to get from WP as a result. Follow the Readme and PM me if encountering issues please.

they would be created in IPB as they log in to wordpress the first time after plugin installation and configuration.

So just to be sure, the wordpress site will be where they log in and it will automatically copy the member username and password to the IPB member database. Therefore it will seamlessly allow them to log in and participate in the forums and the WP site at the same time? I would want to have them all just sign in using the WP side is that possible?

So just to be sure, the wordpress site will be where they log in and it will automatically copy the member username and password to the IPB member database. Therefore it will seamlessly allow them to log in and participate in the forums and the WP site at the same time?

Yes.

I would want to have them all just sign in using the WP side is that possible?

Either you mean changing the IPB front-end log in link to WP's, which is possible but not supported out of box, or you mean keeping user authorization against WP, which is not. After the first login, if there is any discrepancy in passwords IPB wins. I will not be creating a master for wordpress, I do not trust WP auth native enough.

Yes.

Either you mean changing the IPB front-end log in link to WP's, which is possible but not supported out of box, or you mean keeping user authorization against WP, which is not. After the first login, if there is any discrepancy in passwords IPB wins. I will not be creating a master for wordpress, I do not trust WP auth native enough.

So, after the plugin is set up, they would be able to log in normally just using IPB? I think this is where I am the most confused. Does this software read the WP users as they log into IPB? or does the member first have to log into WP in order for IPB to copy the user info? I'm sorry if these questions are redundant.

but after one person logs into wordpress then they have to log into IPB?

This is where you are over-complicating this, and I understand your concerns.

They do not *have* to log in to IPB, in fact, on the same domain or a sub-domain(with domain-wide cookie domain set in IPB), logging in to WordPress that first time, or any time thereafter on either system, should indeed log them into both systems, the same should occur with logging out.

That first WordPress login just takes their details and makes an IPB user, as they do not *exist* in IPB yet, thereafter, they are authorizing against IPB when logging into WordPress, just as they are authorizing against IPB itself when logging in to IPB. Of the two, IPB auth seems the more secure and stable honestly, including in-built support for many differing scenarios WordPress does not natively account for.

OK I must be doing something wrong. I tried to set it up the other day and it did not work and in fact I had to remove all the uploaded files to regain access. Now I reupped the files and followed to a T and it locks me out of wordpress and keeps sending me to a white screen with login name, password, remember me box and a submit button. What am I doing wrong? I did the following:

1 logged into IPB and went to the "Log In Management" page where I get this info: If you would like to use this community as the master in an IPS Connect network, the details are:

URL: http://mysite.com/forum/interface/ipsconnect/ipsconnect.php
Key:

9b7e060e3c173e9081f8614d6face2ab

Note:

You can use an IP.Board installation as either a master or a slave in an IPS Connect network, but not both. If this installation is the master, do

not

enable the IPS Connect login method.

2. I activate the plugin on WP and it is still autopopulated from the first time I messed it all up so I change this info to the current.

3. I go to IPB and set up the XML-API user

4. I go to the WP and insert the xml-api key

5. I set the return url to http://mysite..com/

6. I set the uploads folder to http://mysite..com/forum/uploads/

7. I try to log into WP and Back to the drawing board......... (This is where I have to remove the plugin folder to get back in because it wont let me get to the WP Admin)

OK I must be doing something wrong. I tried to set it up the other day and it did not work and in fact I had to remove all the uploaded files to regain access. Now I reupped the files and followed to a T and it locks me out of wordpress and keeps sending me to a white screen with login name, password, remember me box and a submit button. What am I doing wrong? I did the following:

1 logged into IPB and went to the "Log In Management" page where I get this info: If you would like to use this community as the master in an IPS Connect network, the details are:

2. I activate the plugin on WP and it is still autopopulated from the first time I messed it all up so I change this info to the current.

3. I go to IPB and set up the XML-API user

4. I go to the WP and insert the xml-api key

5. I set the return url to http://xxxxxx.com/

6. I set the uploads folder to http://xxxxxx.com/forum/uploads/

7. I try to log into WP and Back to the drawing board......... (This is where I have to remove the plugin folder to get back in because it wont let me get to the WP Admin)

ensure there is not an email match with a differing username between the two installs, or use email 'login key' if it is common please.

I'm now debating making email the default login key, that comes up too often, And I don't have a good solution at the code level on 'what to do' in such conflicts. - the email match may not actually be the desired account to be synched.

Tried both and no luck. I only have 2 admins on IPB and I changed their emails to not match and the usernames are different as well.

Please pm me access to WP admin and FTP then, I will need to debug the exact error.

'We could not log you in. Please try again later.' would be what it would display to you, which is not terribly helpful - making this more verbose, or an option thereof without loosening security I am looking into.

Please pm me access to WP admin and FTP then, I will need to debug the exact error.

'We could not log you in. Please try again later.' would be what it would display to you, which is not terribly helpful - making this more verbose, or an option thereof without loosening security I am looking into.

Have you had a chance to look at it?

The main installation is WP and the sub folder “ugeforum” is the IP Board install. they are both on the same database. I need to know when you are doing it so I can do a quick backup of the database and if you need to change anything like settings other than the plugin of yours please let me know first.

I've read through most of the topics here, but for peace of mind, I want to clarify a couple of things.

I have a new WP install and new IPB install, so hopefully things should be pretty easy (hopefull! :))

It looks like IPB is the Master, and WP is the slave? (is there any reason to have WP as the master?)

I'm using PaidMembershipsPro (PMP) as a Membership Plugin in WP. The users will be created through there - I'm confused after reading a lot of the comments as to who creates the users, where they need to login, etc.

Do you see any issue with PMP creating users on the WP side?

Thanks for your help!

they would have to login to wordpress once.

I am not really at all certain this plugin can meet your needs, it was designed to work within wordpress standing alone, you have the IPB header iframed in, my login code in wordpress is never even going to be hit.

How do they login when the user is not in the wordpress database? The user is registered in IPB only?

I've read through most of the topics here, but for peace of mind, I want to clarify a couple of things.

I have a new WP install and new IPB install, so hopefully things should be pretty easy (hopefull! :smile:
It looks like IPB is the Master, and WP is the slave? (is there any reason to have WP as the master?)

Indeed, this plugin does not support WP as the master anyway.

I'm using PaidMembershipsPro (PMP) as a Membership Plugin in WP. The users will be created through there - I'm confused after reading a lot of the comments as to who creates the users, where they need to login, etc.

Do you see any issue with PMP creating users on the WP side?

Thanks for your help!

Unfortunately, I don't think I have considered and accounted for fully a non-stock usage of wp_insert_user, which could make things.... ugly if a given email/username is already in IPB and it is not given a WP_Error object in return on 'registration' of a new different user.

I will see if I can get a hook into wp_insert_user to resolve such a theoretical(yes, it's untested, but I can see how it could happen) issue, but having thought it out fully, there could be some issue with that I believe.

Indeed, this plugin does not support WP as the master anyway.

Unfortunately, I don't think I have considered and accounted for fully a non-stock usage of wp_insert_user, which could make things.... ugly if a given email/username is already in IPB and it is not given a WP_Error object in return on 'registration' of a new different user.
I will see if I can get a hook into wp_insert_user to resolve such a theoretical(yes, it's untested, but I can see how it could happen) issue, but having thought it out fully, there could be some issue with that I believe.

The guys at Fizzle.co use this exact setup, and I just re-registered an account with them (only $1 trial) to see the workflow they have. It is all done through PaidMembershipsPro. Once you click into the forums for the first time, my email address shows as the username and I'm taken to a page that says:

"You're almost there!"
"As this is the first time you've logged in...."

Then it asks for a display name.

After I enter the display name, I'm taken to the main forum page.

Maybe that helps you?

Archived