Request: Add option to mark post/topic "unread"

cmiller303

Since I use the "new content" / content I have not read yet all the time, I sometimes want to read a topic or post without responding straight away, but do so at a later moment. However, it will be off the radar, since it is now marked "read" and will not show up in the "new content" page.

Being able to mark a topic and/or post unread would be a huge improvement!

thanks for your consideration,

Ronald

Being able to mark a topic and/or post unread would be a huge improvement!

You might be able to find a hook to give you this functionality. If not, try asking for it to be made. Something like this I think would be 'bloat' if it's part of the core product.

• 1 month later...

There are no replies from the developers,which is much better then an empty promise,never kept.

(You can find a few of them around)

We can take it as: NO.

A lack of a response from an IPS developer doesn't mean anything other than the fact that they haven't responded.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Just to play the devil’s advocate: I’m not seeing this as a useful feature. First of all: It’s asking for a misuse of a feature. If you have read the topic, then setting it “unread” literally makes no sense. If anything, you are looking for a bookmarking feature. And that is already a clue how to solve it. If I know I need to come back to a topic later, I just drag it to my bookmark bar in the browser. Having it hanging around as unread and having to mark it unread (possibly even multiple times) is a poor solution to bookmark content.

Also, regarding the original case:

On 12/14/2012 at 1:48 PM, cmiller303 said:

Since I use the "new content" / content I have not read yet all the time, I sometimes want to read a topic or post without responding straight away, but do so at a later moment. However, it will be off the radar, since it is now marked "read" and will not show up in the "new content" page.

No one is forcing us to use the “unread activity feed” and actually, I never do for exactly the reason described here. I use “latest activity feeds”, which clearly shows unread content as bold, but I still have the other latest content still available there if I need to revisit it. 

Archived