The forum rules and privacy policy should be language-abstracted

RPG-support

I have 2 languages on the IPB: Eng and Rus.
The forum rules and privacy policy, along with a few other items, aren't language-abstracted, so there is only one version available, in whatever language you write it.
If you'd like to see those items and others be language-abstracted.
Thank you.

These are text items that you enter. This is no different than forum names, category names, etc. It's up to you to enter whatever text you want there.

I believe he is requesting a method to display those pages in multiple languages...

I have 2 languages on the IPB: Eng and Rus.

The forum rules and privacy policy

, along with a few other items, aren't language-abstracted, so there is only one version available, in whatever language you write it.

If you'd like to see those items and others

be language-abstracted.
There are a few ways you can do that.

1. Add language bits and then make a custom page that displays that language bit. Use the same bit-name for each language.

2. Use a mod that gives you this functionality.

3. Use IP.Content, then you can make a database that has the rules and you can not only have it branched off by language but also into different sections. Rules, privacy policy, terms of service, anything else.

Blog titles should be language-abstracted
I suppose you also want your username to be automatically translated into each language as well? User contributed content is 'static', where as the names of apps and such can be abstract.

Blog titles should be language-abstracted

No they shouldn't. That doesn't make any sense. That's like asking all your forum members to post in several different languages.

As for your privacy policy rules, I'd say your best bet may be to try and use an IP.Content page to accomplish that yourself. You can check which language the member is using and process the page that way.

As for your privacy policy rules, I'd say your best bet may be to try and use an IP.Content page to accomplish that yourself. You can check which language the member is using and process the page that way.

I was thinking, use categories to branch into different languages. That way, those who are multilingual can read each of them and could serve as proof-readers or translators, etc.

Long time since I've not heard such nonsense :smile:

Don't offer to buy other applications instead of using special functions.

IP.Content for content.

Privacy policy for privacy policy.

My favorite solution is actually to embed the Google translate tool.

I've had many members of my site use it to browse and post on my forum before.

They can be a little hard to understand sometimes, but I find it kind of neat still.

Long time since I've not heard such nonsense :smile:

Code it yourself then. I do not believe it's a necessary or useful feature for the vast majority of clients, if you have very specific needs you as the administrator should learn to accommodate them yourself.

How about, IP.Content for content, databases, privacy policy, rules, custom pages, etc.?

And the built-in "privacy policy" just to distract attention? :smile:

I don't need IP.Content. Do not deviate from the topic, it's about refining existing functionality, not about other applications.

And the built-in "privacy policy" just to distract attention? :smile:

I don't need IP.Content. Do not deviate from the topic, it's about refining existing functionality, not about other applications.

Merely offering alternative ideas. Also to refine the existing functionality, I would say to make it so that the privacy policy can be a link instead of the text entered in the settings, just like the guidelines can be linked elsewhere.

There is also an app or app module in the marketplace, free, that lets you add custom pages. It's an alternative to help you achieve your goal. Ideally, I'd love for there to be a separate 'app' or area within the ACP to not only let you handle different 'documents' as well as different languages, but also retain copies of the changes, so that you have a record of when a new rule went into effect. So if someone claims you changed a rule or something, you can look up when they joined, compare to when the rule was changed (if at all) and set them straight so they know to shut it instead of trying to troll you.

You can communicate in this tone with your friends, not with me. I don't want to discuss about anything with agressive persons.

To be fair, you did call his perfectly valid suggestion for a way to deal with your issue (which is different from the OPs) 'nonsense'. It's probably not the best idea to dish it out if you can't take it.

To be fair, you did call his perfectly valid suggestion for a way to deal with your issue (which is different from the OPs) 'nonsense'. It's probably not the best idea to dish it out if you can't take it.

To be fair, if you will read my post attentively, you will see that i talk about OP's problem (privacy policity), and not mine.

To be fair, if you will read my post

attentively

, you will see that i talk about OP's problem (privacy policity), and not mine.

To be fair, the OP wanted certain functionality that is unlikely to be available anytime soon, if at all. So if the OP doesn't like the alternative suggestions, it is their prerogative to protest against a deviation of the topic, not yours. So if you're going to reference the OP's interests, make sure you're not overshadowing them.

So you want anything user or admin entered to be language abstracted? You want forum names abstracted, you want blog titles abstracted you want skin names abstracted...

Why don't you just put multiple paragraphs in there... One for each language? You're asking for user entered information to be abstracted...

If you start abstracting user entered information now you have to allow admins to edit the default language pack, bad idea, or every site now has to have a duplicate english pack so they can change their privacy policy or guidelines to what they want... So what's the point of the default language pack?

There are other options out there to do what you need done without adding needless complication to the language system for text that is generally different on EVERY board.

If you start abstracting user entered information now you have to allow admins to edit the default language pack, bad idea, or every site now has to have a duplicate english pack so they can change their privacy policy or guidelines to what they want... So what's the point of the default language pack?

Alternatively, IPS can link the setting for board guidelines and privacy policy directly to the lang bit in the language pack. Accompanied with a dropdown to determine which language to apply the inputted text to would give the OP what he requries.

While using IP.Content is a valid method, it's completely impractical. First and foremost, because template logic does not work in HTML pages detection of the viewing users set language would require either a block or a php page. Additionally a template edit would be required for the privacy policy as last I checked (correct me if I'm wrong) you cannot porvide an external link for the privacy policy. Or you can edit the privacy policy template entirely and remove everything and stick in your block snippet.

I think a simple, direct, and intuitive method for community guidelines and privacy policy for bilingual boards is a good idea and is preferable to a roundabout manner like an IP.Content block. Requiring an IP.Content installation just for this is pretty much an oversight in regards to multilingual boards.

Alternatively, this whole thing can still be accomplished with template edits, but I believe that the lang bit - setting link I mentioned above is still a preferable solution.

Archived