Amazon AWS CDN Intergration

CMiller_

I know that IP.Board has integration with their own CDN service. But as an established Amazon customer I'd like to use Amazon's CloudFront for CDN service over IP's own CDN service.

If you dont mind my asking, how much is amazon costing you? How much bandwidth are you using?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Are there instructions on how to set the CDN up through Amazon? Whats the process of getting the IMAGE URL and perhaps the Javascript URL to put in the admin area of IPB?

My next question is will this then also automatically upload Gallery Images into Amazon CDN and serve them from there?

cloudflare affects everything as it takes over your dns, try uploading 60mb files through cloudflare w/o messing with subdomains that bypass.

amazon cloudfront only handles what you want, images, js, and css if wanted. I use it for images.

works well and is cheaper than cloudflare.

but its not a web firewall like cloudflare though.

Dmacleo is right. I've actually used Cloudlare once when I had a DDOS attack on my site.

Amazon is more of a standard CDN service provider. I already use them on my other sites so thats why I want to use them again. Amazon prices are a little better than what IPB offers too but honestly the prices are all so cheap that for small to medium size websites it doesnt make much of a difference

pro allows offline pages and a few other benefits including better https support as well as actual faster account support.

to get amazon cloudfront working I used this guide as a template, I didn't mess with minify though

http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/articles.html/_/server-resource-management/cdn-minify-guide-r625

I use around 500mb data a week and usually costs me about ONE dollar a month.

its so cheap for me that I seldom even check the usages, and since my dns isn't going through it (like with cloudflare) I can upload large files to the site w/o hitting the nginx 504 error. cloudflare refused to correct this and allow anything over 50mb for uploads.

• 2 months later...

For those interested, setting up Cloud Front is seriously easy (and cheap) I'm doing 10GB per day (600k HTTP requests) out of Cloud Front and it's costing me around $50 p/m. Note that this is behind Cloudflare also.

For anybody interested; Go to Cloudflare and enable it. Use the DNS hostname they supply and create yourself a subdomain for it (ie; cdn.example.org > cloudfront.dns.com) then set the new domain (cdn.example.org) in the system settings for 'images url' or whatever it's called. It really is that simple.

When a request is made to cloudfront.dns.com/yourimage.jpg (or whatever it is) and it doesn't exist, it will copy it and serve it from there next time.

Hope this helps.

• 5 months later...

pro allows offline pages and a few other benefits including better https support as well as actual faster account support.

to get amazon cloudfront working I used this guide as a template, I didn't mess with minify though

http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/articles.html/_/server-resource-management/cdn-minify-guide-r625

I use around 500mb data a week and usually costs me about ONE dollar a month.

its so cheap for me that I seldom even check the usages, and since my dns isn't going through it (like with cloudflare) I can upload large files to the site w/o hitting the nginx 504 error. cloudflare refused to correct this and allow anything over 50mb for uploads.

​the link is not working

Dmacleo could You tell us how to set up Amazon CloudFront?

Regards

• 1 year later...
16 minutes ago, Logan Ferezy said:

Is there any updated tutorial for CloudFront? Im trying to set that up on my forums but its now 2015 and last reply was 2014 :p

For IPS4, it takes 1 second. Change the "Custom URL" to your CloudFront URL location in ACP -> System -> Files -> Storage Setting -> Configuration. I've been running it on my personal community since IPB3 ;) 

1 minute ago, Jim M said:

For IPS4, it takes 1 second. Change the "Custom URL" to your CloudFront URL location in ACP -> System -> Files -> Storage Setting -> Configuration. I've been running it on my personal community since IPB3 ;)

So do i add a new storage or do i replace the current one? I just dont want to break my forums :p

Just now, Logan Ferezy said:

So do i add a new storage or do i replace the current one? I just dont want to break my forums :p

No need to create a new one. Can use the current one if it doesn't work, just remove the custom URL and it will go back looking at your sever.

1 minute ago, marklcfc said:

Do you have to change nameservers with this? I've looked into it a little bit but was put off by this part during the registration process.

No change to nameservers for AWS CloudFront. However you may be confusing another completely different service offered by a separate company called "CloudFlare" which would.

11 minutes ago, Jim M said:

No change to nameservers for AWS CloudFront. However you may be confusing another completely different service offered by a separate company called "CloudFlare" which would.

Oh it may have been that then. I see quite a lot of sites where their images are at cdn.mywebsite.co.uk (example url) and not cloudflare/amazon urls, do you know how that is done?

Likely this looks like a misconfiguration in your CloudFront settings. Did you set the CDN to pull from your root domain or a specific folder? Did you set it up to run on SSL like the rest of your website?

Which folder to your website did you update for "Custom URL", you will need to ensure that it is pointing to the right folder, if "uploads" folder then something like:

https://xxxx.cloudfront.net/uploads

Archived