So, how does IPS deal with the tracker?

sychn

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But the app you where using was WAY :wub: better then the IPC one. The new one seems lacking functions.

Sign!

I am also not happy with the new tracker here on the IPS Forums... Working (posting, answering, searching (!!!)) with it feels not good...

But the "old one" (IP.Tracker - now "Tracker") seems to be not an alternative at this moment (delayed/slow development).

ATM i'm using the old IP.Tracker and i've waited a few month ago/since last year for a (stable) update.

For now i think i will change to TracDown (click me) which looks like a cool Bug Tracker System.

Thank you, m8s.

Hope IPS can provide a 'Step by Step' tutorial to make an IP.Tracker system with IP.Content ASAP, that is we really needed, and it's a good way to grasp the IP.Content and not only limited on some simple static pages with it.

About the function, sometimes on some usings, I prefer to the official one which can provide a better in-time tech support and a scheduleable development.

So, please, release some tutorials. :smile:

The only think we added custom was the sidebar filters which will be included as a standard IP.Content feature in a future release. Beyond that it's just a stock IP.Content database :smile:

So... Are there any tutorials for IP.Content? A few samples (pages + database) would help a lot.

The only think we added custom was the sidebar filters which will be included as a standard IP.Content feature in a future release. Beyond that it's just a stock IP.Content database :smile:

I thought those were added in 2.3.3...

So... Are there any tutorials for IP.Content? A few samples (pages + database) would help a lot.

Nope. This is the only one I know of.

http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/articles.html/_/ipcontent/application-system-r619

Click the user menu in the header, then My Content. You can view reports you've started, and those you've commented on using the menu on the left.

its not until you click resources that the applicable items show.

I think this is where the breakdown happens for people, resources in menu leads to documents while in my content section it leads to tracker reports.

its one I keep forgetting too, not sure best way to label this is but something pointing it put may help avoid confusion.

What is wrong with the current tracker specifically? I hear a few "I'm not a fan of it" or things like "searching is hard" - searching is identical to any other application. You click in the search field, type in a string and click the search button. It's not any harder or easier than the old tracker (or any other app for that matter).

We can take in improvement suggestions and gauge them, but outside of some general "I'm not a fan" comments, there haven't been too many specifics posted that are worth the while to change or update.

My impressions/Suggestions? Here goes a few:

1- Index isn't good. It doesn't show the last poster name; show only who created the issue. Worst: shows "X minutes ago", but this time is the last reply and it wasn't done by the opener.
2 - search results is awful: it doesn't even show the project title (I don't know if I'm viewing someting from IP.Board, Content, Blog, etc.) or post date.
3 - search is slow.
4 - we can't link to a specific reply (comment)
5 - filter on project index is confusing (status & version). How does it work?
6 - project view misses important information, like opener, last post author, #replies.
7 - if I'm on IP.Board project, why appears version from Content, Gallery, Downloads, etc when I'm creating an issue ?

Certainly can find some more.

I'm speaking for myself, I only open a bug report today if it affects directly some of my resources. Too bad to use it. In my humble opinion, was a big step backwards use the tracker with IP.Content.

searching is identical to any other application

not sure thats a bragging point :)

search for sql or SQL without using any wildcards.

no entries found, yet there are many error reports with the word sql in them.

heres one example when I search the word error

The SQL logs

the second word of the report is SQL

as far as general comments I think its more a look and feel issue, the other tracker "looked" better. thats purely subjective though.

not sure thats a bragging point :smile:

search for sql or SQL without using any wildcards.

no entries found, yet there are many error reports with the word sql in them.

heres one example when I search the word error

the second word of the report is SQL

as far as general comments I think its more a look and feel issue, the other tracker "looked" better. thats purely subjective though.

I'm not sure but I think that "SQL" is a mysql stopword, or at least disallowed by search.

...but outside of some general "I'm not a fan" comments, there haven't been too many specifics posted that are worth the while to change or update.

I tink we don't say "I'm not a fan", we (and i) say'd we have a bad "feeling" if we use your IP.Content tracker. That can have various causes, Adriano listed a few things which makes the IP.Content tracker "ugly".

If you using a software (like your IP.Content tracker), you have a "feeling" if you use it. And this feeling is just not good. I can not describe it better.

I'm not sure but I think that "SQL" is a mysql stopword, or at least disallowed by search.

iirc it is.

but with sphinx it works.

and when so many errors deal with sql, start with sql, it would be nice to be able to search for it.

but that was just one example of how the search system (the one being revamped we're told) limits us.

while the previous tracker had the SAME restrictions the way the display (aesthetics) worked it was a bit easier.

edit:

a lot of this, I think, is the aesthetics. prior tracker allowed us to display our items like the forums do. in my opinion this helped.

It really is just the aesthetics that are the issue with this new tracker. IPS has tried to use the "it's just a standard IP.Content database" talking point as a positive thing, but a good bug tracker needs more than what we currently have. It should really be re-designed to look like IP.Tracker looked. That product was designed to be a bug tracker, so stuff was laid out the way it needed to be for people to be able to use it. I don't know that I've submitted any bug reports in this new system, because I am so turned off by how unwieldy it is that I just choose to not to ever go into it anymore.

Adriano gave some specifics about what the issues are, they are all good things to look at for cleaning this system up.

• Management

My impressions/Suggestions? Here goes a few:

1- Index isn't good. It doesn't show the last poster name; show only who created the issue. Worst: shows "X minutes ago", but this time is the last reply and it wasn't done by the opener.
2 - search results is awful: it doesn't even show the project title (I don't know if I'm viewing someting from IP.Board, Content, Blog, etc.) or post date.
3 - search is slow.
5 - filter on project index is confusing (status & version). How does it work?
6 - project view misses important information, like opener, last post author, #replies.
7 - if I'm on IP.Board project, why appears version from Content, Gallery, Downloads, etc when I'm creating an issue ?

Certainly can find some more.

I'm speaking for myself, I only open a bug report today if it affects directly some of my resources. Too bad to use it. In my humble opinion, was a big step backwards use the tracker with IP.Content.

1. We like it this way. The last person to post a comment is not relevant information to us when fixing bugs.

2. That's something we can look into improving in a future version of IP.Content.

3. Fine for me.

4. Yes you can. Example: http://community.invisionpower.com/index.php?app=ccs&module=pages&section=comments&database=12&record=39984&do=findComment&comment_id=105854

5. It works fine for me. If you need help we can post a video perhaps?

6. None of that is important information for a bug tracker.

7. That will change with 4.0. Temporary thing for now.

Our bug tracker is a tool for us to fix issues in the software and we implement in a way that makes sense for how we work. Pretty and good feeling are not on the to do list for a tool like this :)

3 - search is slow.

As someone who often searches the tracker, I can't see #3 to be true at all. As for #2, if I want to search for something in JUST IP.Content, I click the IP.Content category, type in my search term, and it searches IP.Content only. The same is true for any app, and mainly how I use the tracker search system.

Click the comment date. It's the global comments system. :thumbsup:

• Management

It really is just the aesthetics that are the issue with this new tracker. IPS has tried to use the "it's just a standard IP.Content database" talking point as a positive thing, but a good bug tracker needs more than what we currently have. It should really be re-designed to look like IP.Tracker looked. That product was designed to be a bug tracker, so stuff was laid out the way it needed to be for people to be able to use it. I don't know that I've submitted any bug reports in this new system, because I am so turned off by how unwieldy it is that I just choose to not to ever go into it anymore.

Adriano gave some specifics about what the issues are, they are all good things to look at for cleaning this system up.

How is it unwieldy to submit a bug? You select a category, click add report, type in your report, and click submit. It's a standard workflow.

Archived