IPB Cancelling Perpetual Licenses - Confirmed!

Lab Rats Rule

• Management

I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but no matter how many times I read this (and similar topics), I'm just left with the overwhelming feeling that it's all very confusing :unsure:

What exactly is confusing?

I have a couple of licences, one of which is an old lifetime one. tbh I feel i have gotten good value out of it and wil be changing it to a more modern licence type in the near future so I can take advantage of some of the diff features. tbh if you had bought a copy of MS word 2002 you wouldnt expect MS to give you free versions of word 2010 so I dont see this as being any different. If i want to us ethe new features.. i will update my licence type... in fact i think i wil go do it now :)

Except if you bought Ms Word 2002, that is what you were buying. We didn't just buy one particular version. We paid extra for all versions... Anyways, I am a bit miffed, having EXPIRED LICENSE popping up in my admin CP all the time. And having to dismiss it. I swear it is on a reminder cycle. This is shotty service. You got my money when you needed and wanted it. And now you are harrassing me? All in your push to make me want to convert my license. What next? Putting the same screen on my forum home page?

What next? Putting the same screen on my forum home page?

A bit dramatic, you think? It's one thing to note the status of a license, Legacy or Expired etc, in the client area where you purchased it. It is an entirely different thing for IPS to interfere with YOUR site.

You're getting hung up on a single word. Your service is not shotty, your service has NOT changed. IPS has stated multiple times in this topic, and elsewhere, they honor all license types they have sold.

Anyways, I am a bit miffed, having EXPIRED LICENSE popping up in my admin CP all the time. And having to dismiss it.

Submit a ticket to billing, perhaps there is something they can do to permanently dismiss the notice.

I have a Lifetime license too, although I don't use it. I have, in essence, 'retired' it from use. I don't want to convert it to a standard license because the Lifetime license is no longer available, so to me it's like a collector's item. Don't want to use it because it doesn't get the benefit of extra services. Although if I ever need to use it without the services, I have it available. Anyways, I get that same notice but I know that my license is still good and if there should ever be any question, I know I can submit a ticket and get it cleared up.

To put it bluntly, chill out. Submit a ticket if you're concerned about it.

It only pops up in my ACP occasionally and I presume the licence server is offline. Sure enough on the next visit the reminder is gone. Clicking the reload button sometimes works as well.

Instead of a reminder notice IPS should have one that says "Don't be a PITA all your life. Have a day off"

Your service and support options are the same as always. Lifetime licenses get free updates of the software and free technical support without any renewal fees. That was what was offered and we continue to honor this license. Perpetual licenses are similar, however they receive free updates of the software without any renewal fees, but must pay $15 to renew technical support. It is slightly different from the lifetime license, and we honor this license type as well.

You are not forced to change your license.

Both licenses do not receive access to the free 5-user chat room, the spam service, the visual skin editor, and certain other services that we have since rolled out. They were not guaranteed as part of your original license purchase, and the ongoing renewal fees help fund these newer services. This, again, does not impact your original license - you continue to receive updates to the software and technical support as we promised when you purchased your license.

If you wish to access the newer services, as Lindy said we offer a free conversion to the current Standard license and (for lifetime licenses), we waive the first year's renewal fees.

I have a lifetime license but when I went now to open a ticket there is no place for me to select technical support. What do you suggest I do here? It says 20.00 Dollar renewal fee? huh? So I am still confused here

Thanks

If you're unable to submit a ticket via your client area, you can e-mail a ticket to accounts@invisionpower.com.

Not being able to submit a ticket is likely a glitch that IPS needs to be aware of.

They can also inform you of what's going on with your account/license and fix any issues.

Yes, if you are seeing an issue like that please let us know. We won't deny you technical support if you have a license type that allows it - it's possible we simply have a bug on our end that is preventing you from seeing the option. A ticket is your best option in that case. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We were basically forced of our perpetual licenses by being denied the anti-spam service. Let me say, I am really very very unhappy about this after being with IPB for almost 10 years. Now you have split the level of response time so we have to pay EVEN MORE to get a quicker response. This is a very ungreatful way to treat your best customers. You really should have offered us support too for helping you get on your feet all those years. I am sorry to see IPB join the greed club. You can be sure, soon as another option comes along I will be leaving IPB and telling everyone to do the same.

I don't see how you could be forced to upgrade your license.

You wanted a service that was not offered with your original license. You are more than welcome to keep your existing license and continue with the service you have.

So if IPS gave all of their 10+ year clients freebies, where would they be? Still where they are today? You have to keep in mind that IPS is a company. They have employees and investors. They aren't a group of smelly teenagers in their parents basements writing code.

We were basically forced of our perpetual licenses by being denied the anti-spam service. Let me say, I am really very very unhappy about this after being with IPB for almost 10 years. Now you have split the level of response time so we have to pay EVEN MORE to get a quicker response. This is a very ungreatful way to treat your best customers. You really should have offered us support too for helping you get on your feet all those years. I am sorry to see IPB join the greed club. You can be sure, soon as another option comes along I will be leaving IPB and telling everyone to do the same.

Was the IPS Spam Service available when you first bought your license? No it wasn't, so why should you get something you never paid for?... The rest of us have to pay to get the service, so you should to.

Sir, you've joined the greed club.

• Management

If I'm being honest, it does get tiresome to have legacy license holders, many of whom (I'm not saying you do or don't fall into this category) who made a one off purchase 8 years ago, referring to us as greedy because we don't continually reward that purchase with everything we do, forever and always. It is also ironic being referred to as greedy when the reason for such statement is because we don't provide service that current active customers are essentially funding, to previous license purchasers.

Please make no mistake, we recognize and appreciate all customers. There is little doubt we would not have been allowed to grow without the support of former loyal clients, the same as Ford Motor Company with respect to the original purchasers of the Model T. Nonetheless, it would be unreasonable for one to expect discounts and access to all of Ford Motor Company's products indefinitely based on that purchase of the Model T. :smile:

We honor and will continue to honor the terms of your license purchase. That is all that can and should be expected from your license. Spam monitoring, chat, visual editor and other current and future services are just that -- services which incur ongoing costs to develop and support. We provide these in a complimentary capacity to valued customers who have chosen to remain with us and continue to support the growth of the company.

A few final points:

1. We do not separate support levels based on legacy license or standard license. We never have and never will. We promised support and will not differentiate between current or legacy customers, provided the support is active on the account. We do, however, offer standard or priority support. Some customers have more mission critical or corporate sites that demand priority support. The offering is there for them.

2. We do and will continue to offer an upgrade to the current license structure free of charge. Additionally, converted perpetual licenses receive six months of free renewals. Lifetime license holders receive one year. This is not forced or required - it is merely an offer.

3.To reiterate, we appreciate all past and present customers. My intent is not to paint all legacy customers with the same brush.

With that, many of the comments, including the reference to greed are nothing short of ridiculous and not something we're going to entertain further.

If you have any further comments or concerns, you are certainly welcome to open a dialogue with me via the client area or the e-mail address in my signature. Any account specific inquiries may be submitted to the client area.

Thank you for your understanding.

Archived