IPB Cancelling Perpetual Licenses - Confirmed!

Lab Rats Rule

May I ask what is going on here? IPB said that our perpetual liceses will be honored. But guess what? Today they cancelled out my perpetual license. I open up my admin CP and client area and it says cancelled.

So I emailed them. And they are telling me that if I want access to downloads, that I have to pay $15! I bought a perpetual license so this is not right!

You are welcome to keep using your board. When a license is cancelled, it means that you no longer have access to support and downloads. You can renew this for $15.00 from your client account if you choose to do so.

You see from the quote that they said I have to pay for downloads. Even my admin CP says my license is expired.

And yes the defcon 2 tag. Before, they said they weren't going to do this. I am sick right now so imagine how I felt this AM when I saw this. My head is spinning. And I am having an asthma attack over this.

Your perpetual license allows you indefinite use of the software and access to new versions. You can, as you have always been able to, download the latest version at any time you like using this URL:

https://www.invisionpower.com/clients/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=1

Technical support for perpetual licenses carries a $30 per year fee, as it always has done. This renewal is of course optional, and you're welcome not to renew if you do not want to do so.

The "Cancelled" flag you see in the client area is simply denoting that the support has expired, and that it shouldn't be included if you renew the other parts of your license. You can still download the software and the terms of the license are the same as they have always been :)

Well, it is showing up as expired in my admin CP, and I don't want it this way. And I want the cancelled also removed from my client area. You are treating me as "a sub customer", in your zest to try and push me away from my perpetual that I paid for. I should not have to look at this every day.

As far as I remember, "Perpetual" had the benefits of "permanent" access to downloads and support (correct me if wrong)..? I don't remember having to pay fee's when I had a Perpetual license, or any other "renewal" fee's either... :o

Regarding this, I completely take Lab Rats side for this, as an "ex" fellow Perpetual holder.

EDIT: that and the fact he does hold a valid argument. ;)

As far as I remember, "Perpetual" had the benefits of "permanent" access to downloads and support (correct me if wrong)..? I don't remember having to pay fee's when I had a Perpetual license, or any other "renewal" fee's either... :o

Regarding this, I completely take Lab Rats side for this, as an "ex" fellow Perpetual holder.

My perpetual does have a $30 per year support clause from when I purchased it, There are different ones they sold. But still, I should not be treated to an expired or cancelled notice everywhere I look.

I really don't like the handling of this even down to the misinformed support staff.

Obviously IPS can't make money on Perpetual and whatever the other unlimited license was. They made them to make a bunch of money 8 years ago, probably when the company was still forming and needed a large sum of money. Now steady clients with steady payments = good. One time payments = bad.

Just buy a real license. Holding something valid for this long is just mean to them. Why do you think they keep coming out with "active" license only software? Spam Service? Skin Designer? CDN? Its because those require month to month paying and using the business model of 1 time pay just won't work.

Obviously IPS can't make money on Perpetual and whatever the other unlimited license was. They made them to make a bunch of money 8 years ago, probably when the company was still forming and needed a large sum of money. Now steady clients with steady payments = good. One time payments = bad.

Just buy a real license. Holding something valid for this long is just mean to them. Why do you think they keep coming out with "active" license only software? Spam Service? Skin Designer? CDN? Its because those require month to month paying and using the business model of 1 time pay just won't work.

It is obvious from their "active" license software that they are the ones being mean. And also by flashing cancelled or expired in my face they are also being mean. They got my money years also when they needed and wanted it. I paid a lot more for this product. I bought a product then, and shouldn't be treated any differently now for their poor hindsight.

It is obvious from their "active" license software that they are the ones being mean. And also by flashing cancelled or expired in my face they are also being mean. They got my money years also when they needed and wanted it. I paid a lot more for this product. I bought a product then, and shouldn't be treated any differently now for their poor hindsight.

Just wondering...how many years ago and how much did you pay?

No Perpetual licenses do not come with support, that's an extra that you have to pay for.

• Management

So you're upset over the word "canceled" in the client area even though you can still download updates and such? The word "canceled" means support and services are canceled but you can still download updates just as you always have been able to with a Perpetual license.

Calm yourself :) Nothing has changed.

• Management

Hello,

This isn't about what a customer is worth to us, so please don't think that. It's just a piece of terminology we use. Your actual license itself hasn't been cancelled. You can still download updates. The only thing cancelled is your ability to open support tickets.

I'm not sure what else we can say about this other than to say that we're sorry you find our terminology offensive and please try and find a way to accept that we don't mean that you are less of a customer because of this.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a couple of licences, one of which is an old lifetime one. tbh I feel i have gotten good value out of it and wil be changing it to a more modern licence type in the near future so I can take advantage of some of the diff features.

tbh if you had bought a copy of MS word 2002 you wouldnt expect MS to give you free versions of word 2010 so I dont see this as being any different. If i want to us ethe new features.. i will update my licence type... in fact i think i wil go do it now :)

• Management

I do apologize for the miscommunication regarding the first reply you received. I believe the agent responded as a matter of habit indicating renewals include support and downloads. That is clearly not the case.

I would note that we do offer a free conversion from perpetual and lifetime licenses to our standard license. Additionally, we provide one free renewal for perpetual licenses and two free renewals for lifetime licenses. After that, your renewals would be $25 every six months instead of $15. The standard license includes all of our extra, hosted services such as spam monitoring, free 5 user chat, visual skin editor, etc. as part of the renewal.

Naturally, you're of course free to keep your current license too - as Matt indicated, we are not pushing you away from the license or lessening your value as a customer.

I would like to clarify on this. I was receiving errors in my client center regarding the license renewal and this might have involved perpetual licenses as well. I contacted customer support through my client center and they informed me that IPS was having issues related to the reporting of license fee renewals. Since I don't have a perpetual license, I never asked about it, only about the standard six month licensing ewnwal and why it wasn't being reported accurately in my client center, but it's probable that this small glitch affected a lot of clients.

I received a reply from customer service that IPS was having issues with the system and that they should have been corrected by now. What I would suggest is that if you're still having problems related to your licenses and how they're being reported in your client center, that you contact customer support if you're still experiencing problems. That way, they can look into the probnlems related to your license.

:thumbsup:

Sorry for my english,
polemic (controversy, debate ) is not in my intentions, I read this:

.........Additionally, we provide one free renewal for perpetual licenses and two free renewals for lifetime licenses. After that, your renewals would be $25 every six months instead of $15......

and this:

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/357505-lifetime-license-feel-disappointed/?p=2233636

The lifetime license gives you lifetime access to upgrades to IP.Board and technical support. That is what is has always been and we continue to honor that ...

So I am in doubt and I still do not understand, really

I have a Lifetime (2003), may be I was the firts italian customer ( I would like to know :smile: ) : what do I expect with it ?

Thanks for any, even if is not THE BEST ANSWER:
I'm not interested in Microsoft Software, but I bought a lifetime warranty Leica binocular and I know that when I write to Leica support they answer to me free.
I'm not interested in other product, infact I have not a telescope, and I'm not interested in a new leather bag. And my binocular continue working no stop with no defect. When a defect is known it will be repaired.
When my binocular will not work properly, Mr. Leica will give me another one of the same model or analogous.

And now I continue to be happy using IPB BOARD, and I don't need a lot of assistance: I have only 25 ticket opened since 2003 meaning less than 3 in a year.

Kind regards
Gianpiero

Sorry for my english,
polemic (controversy, debate ) is not in my intentions, I read this:

and this:

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/357505-lifetime-license-feel-disappointed/?p=2233636

So I am in doubt and I still do not understand, really

I have a Lifetime (2003), may be I was the firts italian customer ( I would like to know :smile: ) : what do I expect with it ?

Thanks for any, even if is not THE BEST ANSWER:
I'm not interested in Microsoft Software, but I bought a lifetime warranty Leica binocular and I know that when I write to Leica support they answer to me free.
I'm not interested in other product, infact I have not a telescope, and I'm not interested in a new leather bag. And my binocular continue working no stop with no defect. When a defect is known it will be repaired.
When my binocular will not work properly, Mr. Leica will give me another one of the same model or analogous.

And now I continue to be happy using IPB BOARD, and I don't need a lot of assistance: I have only 25 ticket opened since 2003 meaning less than 3 in a year.

Kind regards
Gianpiero

Your service and support options are the same as always. Lifetime licenses get free updates of the software and free technical support without any renewal fees. That was what was offered and we continue to honor this license. Perpetual licenses are similar, however they receive free updates of the software without any renewal fees, but must pay $15 to renew technical support. It is slightly different from the lifetime license, and we honor this license type as well.

You are not forced to change your license.

Both licenses do not receive access to the free 5-user chat room, the spam service, the visual skin editor, and certain other services that we have since rolled out. They were not guaranteed as part of your original license purchase, and the ongoing renewal fees help fund these newer services. This, again, does not impact your original license - you continue to receive updates to the software and technical support as we promised when you purchased your license.

If you wish to access the newer services, as Lindy said we offer a free conversion to the current Standard license and (for lifetime licenses), we waive the first year's renewal fees.

• 4 weeks later...

The short of it is this... IPS honors all license types they have sold. So whatever was agreed to at the time or your purchase IPS will honor.

IPS now offers 'extras' for those with their current standard license type. Those 'extras', that were not available back when, are only available to those with newer license types. If you would like access to the 'extras' that come with the new licenses, you would need to submit a ticket and upgrade your license.

Otherwise you can continue as normal with your originally purchased license with all of the benefits it has... i.e. lifetime download access or less expensive renewals, whatever the benefits happen to be.

The short of it is this... IPS honors all license types they have sold. So whatever was agreed to at the time or your purchase IPS will honor.

IPS now offers 'extras' for those with their current standard license type. Those 'extras', that were not available back when, are only available to those with newer license types. If you would like access to the 'extras' that come with the new licenses, you would need to submit a ticket and upgrade your license.

Otherwise you can continue as normal with your originally purchased license with all of the benefits it has... i.e. lifetime download access or less expensive renewals, whatever the benefits happen to be.

Oh I know exactly what the policy is - I had it all explained to me in a ticket last year. I was just saying how IMO it is all very confusing.

And if it needs support to explain it like I was a 5 year old, or three paragraphs to boil it down to "the short of it", then it's really not 'simple' is it? Heck, if it was simple topics such as this one wouldn't exist :)

Archived