Big Board Subforum for admins of large sites

Thomas P

Hello

I would like to suggest a new subforum dedicated for Big Board Admins.

There are several needs, questions, issues and topics needed only by admins of large sites.

Ideally the subforum is closed for named accounts of large communities.

I'd love to see a pace where operators of large IPB communites exchange their experiences.

Thanks

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an admin of a medium (?) board - I'd absolutely hate to see this. It creates elitism.

Why it creates elitism ?

I strongly oppose that , Big Board needs are different then regular forum needs. So they need an actual place where they can discuss issues related to big boards.

I never needed to discuss sphinx, varnish, litespeed, multiple servers, replication, resource intensive functionality, scaling, etc. before my site grew large.
Things rigorously change when every function on your site is hit by millions of users.
Turning on a resource intensive function or addon can cause serious issues, may not be possible or may need additional server resources.

Why it creates elitism ?

I strongly oppose that , Big Board needs are different then regular forum needs. So they need an actual place where they can discuss issues related to big boards.

At least in the described manner it does.

Many coders that can provide custom solutions to some of these difficulties would not be able to see or help with any issues like this.

I wouldn't mind there being a big board. While most of the issues can be solved over in the [url=http://community.invisionpower.com/forum/406-server-management-resources-optimization/]Server Management, Resources, Optimization Board, it's nice to know that the person you're talking to is also running a large forum. While every forum's needs will not be the exact same, a forum with 100 users and 1,000 posts requires very different resources than one with 100,000 users and 1,000,000 posts.

If this does go through, please make sure that there is someone active watching the membership (if there is one.) I spent a few weeks trying to get into SMF's big board forum because the gatekeeper was inactive.

It creates elitism.

Eh, yes and no. You'll always have that though, even without a larger board. You have people on here that because they have a contributor badge, they appear to be better than everyone else. Or in the outside world, a cop that has a shiny badge goes on a power trip. It's human nature; but I don't think having a big board forum would create that much drama though.

Creating a big board section can also benefit both big board owners and IPB. For example alfa1 knows about the thread we are actively discussing about forum solutions that suit big boards needs on TAZ. Many other big board owners are following the process as they want to see if i will benefit from IPB and they want to learn about my expertise with IPB support.

Yes TAZ is there and there are other admin boards that we can discuss these kind of things. However keep in mind that there are tons of fanatics out there and discussing things is not easy when fanatics are joining to discussions.

Our needs are different from your needs. For example , i can't wait post/reputation/signature cache to rebuild from ground up as that will force me to throw out 2-3 more servers in place to handle the initial load our servers will face after conversion. That's why with Marcher Technologies assistance we now use a CLI script that will build these cache and it is running amazing. Many other boards will see no use of this script however this is critical for big boards. Discussing these kind of things is really critical and i strongly believe both IPB customers and IPB as a company can see a huge benefit of this.

[root@test html]# php -f /path/to/root/rebuildBoardCaches.php 

_                
 (*)_____  ______. 
 | __ __  |__*__| 
 | || || |   | |   
 | || || |   | |   
 |_||_||_|   |_| 

--------------------------------------------
Welcome to the MT Cache Rebuild tool
This tool will Perform full Rebuilds of Various Dynamic IP.Board Caches 
--------------------------------------------

What do you wish to do? 
 r=Rebuild Reputation Caches 
 p=Rebuild Post Caches 
 s=Rebuild Signature Caches 
Enter: 
p
Cache Processed. (8028229 Posts Left)

Cache Processed. (7978229 Posts Left)

Cache Processed. (7928229 Posts Left)

Cache Processed. (7878229 Posts Left)

Cache Processed. (7828229 Posts Left)

Cache Processed. (7778229 Posts Left)

Cache Processed. (7728229 Posts Left)

Lewis, this should not be a "VIP" support forum or a closed "Premium" user section.

It is meant to address issues of large communities with a high volume of concurrent users.

That's it. :smile:

That's not how you presented it... A 'closed' forum for 'large' forum owners is just that... a 'Premium' section for those special few that have 'large' boards..

Lewis, this should not be a "VIP" support forum or a closed "Premium" user section.

It is meant to address issues of large communities with a high volume of concurrent users.

I don't see any reason why the general customer membership would need excluded from that forum as has been suggested. Issues related to big boards may not apply to me, but that doesn't mean I should not be allowed to read about what issues you are having, or offer some advice that may work to help with those issues.

I don't mind the idea, but it's been done to death already. There's already a large private admin forum out there meant for big boards, The Admin Zone has another one, I think that Big Boards directory has a forum for it and a couple of other admin forums I go to have it as well. I don't think IPB needs an 'official' one too.

There are various big board management topics that I would not post in a fully open forum for everyone to see. There are benefits of a closed big board forum. However, an open forum would already be very useful and would probably advertise IPS better to big board owners that have not made up their minds about migrating.

When I migrated my big board from webwizz to vbulletin, 6 competing websites followed within 2 months. It will be interesting to see what happens when we migrate from vb to IPS.
Getting more big boards to migrate to IPS will make others follow.

A big boards forum on IPS would underline that IPS caters to big boards.

I have no issue with the forum being created (nor do I honestly see the point of it, nor do I actually decide on whether said forum gets created!). I do have the issue with it being closed though - that causes the elitism and no doubt cliques of users - something you don't want in a community full of various-ability administrators. I've had similar experiences on my own forums (not with administrators, obviously) and it's not an easy issue to resolve once the hole has been dug very deep.

As Jura says - if you have a closed big board forum, then there needs to be a closed small board forum for brand new admins who have simple questions and concerns that they may feel stupid for asking in a general public forum. Why should so called "big board" owners get a private place to discuss things?

Oh, and who decides if your board is big enough for this closed forum? Basing it on member count? Post count? Number of active users? Anyone who is on the highest tier of IPS hosting? Too many questions.

TheAdminZone has a dedicated BigBoard section, why can't it work here? The classification of big boards is based on how many posts have been made.

The claim of 'Elitism' is just stupid. If you feel that way, why are you not complaining about everything else in life (or maybe you do)? Or the fact that IPS shows big companies using the boards on their front page? Maybe they should show Mr. Joe's Anime forum on the front page instead...

The point of Big Board sections is so that Big Board owners can discuss issues or frustrations with other experienced Big Board owners. They don't want to hear how Mr. Joe's Anime forum with 10 posts does things.

I'm not opposed to the creation of a new sub-forum... Granted I feel there is adequate forums currently for these 'big board' owners to post in...

I'm opposed to the 'lock it down' to 'big board' owners only... Some of the little guys could do with some knowledge from the big guys and some of the big guys that are in over their head could do to learn from the smarter little guys...

Just because you're little doesn't mean you're input is any less valid...

If we run a big board can we have a "Big Board" badge too? That contributor badge makes me feel pretty elitist after all...

That was satire. Don't read into it.

Not to mention QA badge...or Marketplace Moderator

They are all so ELITE! :tongue:

Not to mention QA badge...or market place moderator

They are all so ELITE! :tongue:

FWIW, satire is a form of making a point, and I do feel that while made in good humor these are valid points. Especially the QA badge. Those people are totally better and more special than I am.

Archived