Like Status Updates

Matt Ball

Ah well it might be good if it was updated.

Right now I am working on my own little mod that will turn the status updates into a shoutbox. It used to kind of work like a shoutbox on this site for a while so with the ip.shoutbox being a ruined by the new developer I thought I should use the status updates as a shoutbox.

I believe there is already a mod to put status updates into the shoutbox - just as an FYI.

Glad everyone else agrees, I was wondering if I was missing something as it does seem a little obvious!

That mod does not replace the shoutbox with status updates it just takes status updates and places them in the shoutbox.

If you remember some time back the status update block on this site had the ability to type directly to it, making it function as a shoutbox. This ability is what I want to bring back. I want to do this because the guy who took over the shoutbox is messing it up big time.

I'm confused on how you're comparing the Status Updates to the Shoutbox.

Just because the status update hook had the option before to update right on the box on the right hand side didn't make it a shoutbox. I don't see having a conversation with someone through status updates very appealing, and don't really see the purpose of it because you can do that in the shoutbox. .

But anyways on the topic of "liking" status updates, I would like to see it implimented as a core function.

Any way liking status is something I want and using the status updates as a shoutbox is not ideal. I am aware of that. But Michael stopped making the IP.shoutbox. The new guy who took it over is distroying it. So it is either that or switch to vbulletin or hopefully someone better takes over the ip.shoutbox.

Any way liking status is something I want and using the status updates as a shoutbox is not ideal. I am aware of that. But Michael stopped making the IP.shoutbox. The new guy who took it over is distroying it. So it is either that or switch to vbulletin or hopefully someone better takes over the ip.shoutbox.

You're going to switch to vBulletin because of a shoutbox?

Status updates and shouts shouldn't be merged in my opinion. I can see why you want to do it but it just isn't a very 'clear' and 'webby' thing to do. It's confused. It'd be better to make your own shoutbox, get one made, not bother or use what exists.

I do like the idea of being able to update your status from within the recent status updates box, obviously it'd only show if you're logged in. It's not immediately obvious you can click your name at the top to do it, and it's too many page clicks to go to your "Profile Feed" (also a bit confusing, I'd prefer just "Profile", "Profile Updates" or "Status Updates", the latter making most sense considering what the page actually shows).

I'd like to have a go at it myself but I've only just got IPB 3 so would take lots of getting my head around it. If we were told this might become core it'd mean I don't have to go to this trouble :)

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/371486-download-shoutbox/

While I'm still confused at what you're complaining about exactly, I see that you haven't posted in the shoutbox topic. So why don't you post there instead of complaining in the wrong topic about the shoutbox not being a status update box.

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/371486-download-shoutbox/

While I'm still confused at what you're complaining about exactly, I see that you haven't posted in the shoutbox topic. So why don't you post there instead of complaining in the wrong topic about the shoutbox not being a status update box.

You most be confused if you think I am complaining. There has been no complaining from me yet. Explaining yes but not complaining. Also why would I want the shoutbox to be a status update box?

All I mentioned was I was trying to make an alternative to the shoutbox because the current one is being messed up by a new developer and I mentioned it in this topic as I am trying to use the status updates because I am not a programmer and do not know how to make my own. I need to start some where or with some thing to make my own shoutbox.

if this gets added to the status updates, which I do feel is a good idea it will cause me problems with using the status updates as a shoutbox. If I knew how I would create my own shoutbox with out the need to use some thing that already exists. However I do not.

Well my apologies, but again. . . go post in the shoutbox topic, the developer is more than nice enough. If you don't even try to talk to him then nothing will be solved or discussed about because I'm certain he won't visit this topic to discuss whatever issues there might be.

I honestly dont see why these threads turn into "Lets Flame Jlogica" thread. Any programmer who is a professional would certainly not waste there time creating something for free. Even though this was handed down to him, doesnt mean he doesnt have the right to charge for it. I mean do you honestly feel like someone should continue to spend there own time updating it and making it better for FREE? If you think so then you need to have a reality check. I am proud to support Jlogica and every programmer that takes the time with there product, 15 bucks is nothing to whine about when infact you are saying he is destroying the product. You expect results then pay for them nothing is free.

My intention was not to flame Jlogica. I kept posting about it as people kept asking me questions about it. I personally do not mind being charged for mods. Specially if they are quality work. In fact if I did end up switching to vb the mods I want do cost.

I am upset that he is charging for some thing some one else made. If he scrapped the old code and started fresh I would pay for it with no issues.

• 10 months later...

Archived