Polling improvements please

rbiss

I lost a corporate client in part to our inadequate polling feature. I could see it coming, having asked for this off and on for 7 years. Please please improve it.

1) Allow guest polling - please provide the option of allowing guests to vote. No reputable website expects people to register just to vote in a poll. When you limit to members-only you get the same members voting, in limited fashion.

2) Ability to hide results - allowing people to see the results skews the polling. There should be an option available to hide the results until a specific date( and/or other parameters).

It's crazy that we have to use "survey monkey" to do something that should be slam dunk easy to do right on this board.

Polls were nice ten years ago. But now we have google charts, fusioncharts, surveymonkey, etc.

I would like to suggest:

1. multiple questions in a poll.
  2. different question types.See: http://www.surveymonkey.com/QuestionBuilder_Examples.aspx
  3. There are various pretty ways to show poll results and make them look more exiting and interesting.
    Add some Google charts, or tabbed results, a Pie Chart with hovering descriptions. There are various better html5 / jquery examples out there.
  4. An overview of all polls could be added, so that users can go from poll to poll.

Yes, there is a lot of untapped expansion. The ability to correlate answers would be a huge improvement. Most importantly for me though is guest polling. Polls are more accurate with #s. And when used for research the results shouldn't be viewable to those who haven't taken the poll. Both of those poll options would mean a lot. When setting up a poll, 1) Allow Guest Polling yes/no. 2) Hide results until answered yes/no (or by date, or when admin/poll creator allows display). If guest polling allowed, the IP address with a flood control should (and no option to view by member) should be the working code.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This has been requested for so long, it's getting hard to understand why nothing is done. Honestly, the option to hide poll results (until a given date or admin action) and guest voting cannot be that hard to implement.

Polling improvements, please!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well I'm shocked that SMF 1.1.18 as a better poll system that IPB. I'm building a new home for my SMF forum and I when I got to the polls my jaw dropped! Its so basic. Until now everything else in IPS was way better than SMF but not this.

I need at least these options in every poll.

- Maximum votes per user
- Run the poll for X days
- Only show the results after the poll has expired
- Reset Vote Count

It's all improvement and if SMF can do it since +10y ago, so can IPS.. please?

Tx

• 2 months later...

1) Allow guest polling - please provide the option of allowing guests to vote. No reputable website expects people to register just to vote in a poll. When you limit to members-only you get the same members voting, in limited fashion.

This is so important ... I hope IPB add this feature to the IP Board....

Thanks

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/386962-polling-question-help/

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Any updates on this thread, a cool way to give a 1 - 10 rating per poll row would be nice e.g:

What do you think about the features in IPB?
Forum 1[] 2[] 3[] 4[] 5[] 6[] 7[] 8[] 9[] 10[x]

Pages 1[] 2[] 3[] 4[] 5[] 6[] 7[x] 8[] 9[] 10[]

Store 1[] 2[] 3[] 4[] 5[] 6[] 7[] 8[x] 9[] 10[]

Archived