Private message enhancements suggestion

Chesterfieldz

After moving from phpbb3 to IPB I was hoping that message management would work pretty much the same.

However I see no ability to have messages to outo delete the oldest when a new one arrives if your inbox is full. Or the option for members to backup or export their messages.

We have a few traders on the forum that use PM quite a bit and would benefit from being able to export their conversations by xml or csv etc like phpbb3 offers.

Could I suggest this functionality be added to the message system within IPB. :)

I personally would oppose something like this. Deleting a PM without end users request is not the correct way to do things.

What if that PM include very important data to End User.

Users have freedom to empty their inbox's. If they don't empty it , there can be an important reason. That's why adding an auto delete functionality is not good and is also violating end users rights.

Yes good point.

What about an alternative method that phpbb uses - which is to allow a message to be sent to a member, but if that member has a full inbox, they cannot read the message until they clear out enough room to receive the new message.

ip phpbb it works a little like this:

User A send a message to User B. (user B has a full message box)

User B receives a notification that they have a new message - when they go to their inbox, they are advised the message is on hold until they clear out some old messages

User B clears out some old stuff, and then can "release" the message on hold.

The message then arrives in User B's inbox, and at the same time moves from User A's outbox, to sent items.

This allows a message to be sent, allows User A to see when it has been read (it is still in the outbox until read by User B and then it will show in User A's sent box).

It also means the person receiving the message is made aware that they have a full inbox, but does not require the sender to keep trying to send a message hoping that the other user has now made some space.

The messenger preview needs attention. I often title my messages 00000 because a subject isnt allways important or because it would be too formal. On the preview I can see nothing indicating which messages are to whom so in that instance have to open each one, or actually go into my messenger. My user av and username being visable in the drop down is unrequired, obviously I know I sent the message. You could cram much more information into the drop-down if you wanted. The read / not yet read note would be worth having, page numbers etc. Have that drop-down twice the size. If you're gonna have a quick-nav have one.

• 10 months later...

I agree, this is a horrible idea to have the system auto-delete PM messages. there are some PM's that your members might want to keep. it doesn;t matter if you're able to archive it. deleting older PMs should be up to the end user of your community, not auto-deleted simply because an admin using the software is too lazy to increase the nyumber of PMs that its members can have.

I'm actually unaware of how the current IPB method does work? What does happen when its full...does it still allow the member to get the message? I don't remember from the 2.x days, plus its probably changed anyway. (I don't have my community open yet so I don't have any first hand knowledge of what happens)...

And yes, do not delete messages please, if that was something considered for 4.0. Auto-delete as everyone else stated, seems like a very bad idea. But the notice saying your box is full sounds good.

• 8 months later...

On my forum members use PM very intensively, so it's very inconvenient to force people every time manually clean their PM boxes. Furthermore people can't receive important messages and don't know about that.

In this case in phpBB3 it was made much better - you can send, but can't receive until erase some old letters. Is it any solution for that?

Archived