Download: Duplicate Members Logger

PrinceOfAbyss

I could once again explain my problem with your app but I understand it wouldn't make any difference. I know it just does not work exactly as described and I know why it failed in my tests. (It's related to bugs and/or faults (by design)). Browsers have changed: flash cookiers are not the "super cookies" people talked about some time ago, and they are not so cross-browser as they once were. Due to those changes, this particular text of your description no longer applies: "The use of a Flash cookie makes the application a cross-browser solution to deal with "ghost" members, as it detects and reports them even if they use one browser for each registered account or even after they clear their browser's cache."

You don't seem to be willing to understand that fact and now you even tell me that you don't want to discuss any technical details anymore. Well, fine! But I'm out here.

I will rewrite your app, for personal use only, and change the duplicates detector algortihm. I guess I'll find some time today or tomorrow to implement the evercookie and in a later stage will rewrite it completely from scratch.

Never mind. I'll make it work on my and I won't bother you again.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could once again explain my problem with your app but I understand it wouldn't make any difference. I know it just does not work exactly as described and I know why it failed in my tests. (It's related to bugs and/or faults (by design)). Browsers have changed: flash cookiers are not the "super cookies" people talked about some time ago, and they are not so cross-browser as they once were. Due to those changes, this particular text of your description no longer applies: "The use of a Flash cookie makes the application a cross-browser solution to deal with "ghost" members, as it detects and reports them even if they use one browser for each registered account or even after they clear their browser's cache."

You don't seem to be willing to understand that fact and now you even tell me that you don't want to discuss any technical details anymore. Well, fine! But I'm out here.

I will rewrite your app, for personal use only, and change the duplicates detector algortihm. I guess I'll find some time today or tomorrow to implement the evercookie and in a later stage will rewrite it completely from scratch.

Never mind. I'll make it work on my and I won't bother you again.

Technically speaking, you need his permission before re-writing his application, otherwise it's considered theft.

Too bad you're not willing to invest time in per-usergroup exclusion, but I can follow your line of thought (though a "thank you for your input, but to be honest I don't think I'll give it a very high priority because I think other options will please more people" would have done too. But that may be just me, since it's still written text and it's impossible to get other info like tone of voice or body language). Anyway, no problem at all. You have a very valid point.

Just wanted to add that I really like the idea of a new post in a forum once a suspected duplicate has been detected. And to be honest myself: I prefer that over my own request wink.png. Do wonder if / what additional features you have in mind for the future... biggrin.png

[edit]

PS: Hope the posts above don't influence the way you read mine...

Yea, you definitely missed the tone of my post. :) Maybe I should have used more smilies! :P

Also, I'm very open to suggestions, and basically those suggestions have made this app evolve from a simple tool I created for my own community 3 years ago to what it is now. Example: This was a suggestion from a member some days ago:

This would be nice to have. It should create topic with:

1. Machine ID

2. Username Clickable

3. IP's of 2 user.

4. Date.

This was my response to him:

This won't be included in 3.0.2 which is already behind schedule, and unfortunately will take some more time. But may be included in a 3.0.3 or 3.0.4.

And now this suggestion is already here for the upcoming 3.0.2 version. :P

But honestly mate, I find it so pointless to invest time in a per-group exclusion. :)

Oh, I noticed you're really considering suggestions, and I understand your point of view. Just wished the outcome would have been different, but it's ok, I don't mind that much. Would have been a nice feature, nothing critical for sure, can image you can find more relevant things to work on. But let's drop this subject, too much time spent on it allready. Thanks for your quick reply btw.

So, I went to a trade show last weekend, and came back to over 150 'Fraud Registrations'.

After dealing with it all, two suggestions ...

• Mass Delete of all reports in MOD ACP
  • Ability to Merge accounts in Manage Duplicates

Also, an unrelated suggestion ...

When you discover a vulnerability, you really should deal with that as your first priority and release a fix immediately. We've been waiting patiently for these great, new features, and the vulnerability remains.

Just sayin' ...

So, I went to a trade show last weekend, and came back to over 150 'Fraud Registrations'.

After dealing with it all, two suggestions ...

• Mass Delete of all reports in MOD ACP
  • Ability to Merge accounts in Manage Duplicates

Also, an unrelated suggestion ...

When you discover a vulnerability, you really should deal with that as your first priority and release a fix immediately. We've been waiting patiently for these great, new features, and the vulnerability remains.

Just sayin' ...

Merge (Accounts) is unsuitable for the way duplicates are presented (in groups). Keep in mind that a group can have more than two duplicate members. So, which two of them will the Merge action actually merge? ;)

The Mass Delete is indeed something that will be added in 3.0.3. It's very boring deleting attempts one by one.

About the vulnerability, really, if it was something possible for one to take advantage of, I'd have released it immediately. But it was something one should have had knowledge about the internals and logic of the app (having read its source code) to exploit it...

Come on guys... Give me feedback!!! :D

Looking forward to 3.03. I'm finding with version 3 that I've got less work to do. I have it configured to disallow new registrations. All I do now is delete the reports and send a polite email to the member concerned:

Hi

Today our systems detected you attempting to create another account at C4D Cafe. We don't allow members to have multiple accounts. If you have lost your password please use the lost password recovery utility to recover your password.

Regards

3DKiwi

C4D Cafe

Come on guys... Give me feedback!!! :D

You know my feedback - it is "much more awesome than before" thumbsu.gif

Being serious now, I do really enjoy the ability to be able to have notes (comments), the other really useful feature is the ability to post a topic when a dup is detected (we have an admin forum, so all admins can see what is what and who is who).

Oh and (yes you know I love this) the differently coloured buttons are fantastic!

Well done, and excellent job Prince goodjob.gif

The update is great!

I do have one issue ...

When I Notify All, I get 'An Error has Occured [undefined]', though it still appears in the logs as sent. I sent three notifications thinking it was really an error ... oops.

I'm a little disappointed in 'Postify', though. I was really hoping for automation on that when a new duplicate account was created. I used to use NexusPower's multiple account IP detection, and the auto-post feature was awesome. Not all attempts under 'Fraud Registrations' are successful, so I have to reference the ACP each time. As you know, 150 in a weekend is a lot of referencing.

I can't thank you enough for such a useful app. Of all the apps, mods, and addons I've installed, yours is beyond the most useful.

Thank you!

3.0.3 to-do list

1. Add a Delete all button for reg attempts in ModCP

2. Add a setting to auto-PM members upon detection of multiple accounts

3. Add a setting to auto-post topic for members upon detection of multiple accounts

About the error undefined... I found out about this today in my live community too... I searched and searched and searched and found nothing. Then I wondered why it didn't happen in my dev board, and realized that setting the board IN_DEV makes it not occur... This is strange, and of course I'll investigate it further.

But even until I get this sorted, don't worry. it sends the PM fine and also posts the topic fine (you'll get this for topics too).

Not all attempts under 'Fraud Registrations' are successful

What do you mean by this?

3.0.3 to-do list

1. Add a Delete all button for reg attempts in ModCP
2. Add a setting to auto-PM members upon detection of multiple accounts
3. Add a setting to auto-post topic for members upon detection of multiple accounts

About the error undefined... I found out about this today in my live community too... I searched and searched and searched and found nothing. Then I wondered why it didn't happen in my dev board, and realized that setting the board IN_DEV makes it not occur... This is strange, and of course I'll investigate it further.

But even until I get this sorted, don't worry. it sends the PM fine and also posts the topic fine (you'll get this for topics too).

Cool, thank you for the explanation and the upcoming features!

What do you mean by this?

I've noticed I get reports of 'Fraud Registrations' that don't result in Duplicate Accounts in the ACP. I would assume they are failed attempts?

I just updated the submission in MP. I didn't change the version number as there is no change added that needs to go through the installation process. A simple replacement of the files (for those already on v3.0.2) will correct the following:

• Fix a bug found in the rotation of the usernames when sending a mass PM to members.
  • Fix the AJAX undefined error when sending a mass PM or posting a notification topic.

Archived