No (agree) "Terms of Use" Checkbox on registration if using fb

IPBSupport.de

If a member using fb (or twitter etc) for the registration, there is no "Terms of Use" Checkbox, also the "Privacy Policy" link is missing.

I think (for IP.Board 3.4) we need a rework for the registration progress if using facebook or other services, so the members have to agree to the terms and see the privacy police informations (which is a must have).

Facebook doesn't allow you to do that though - it violates the Facebook Connect terms, you have to treat a Facebook signup exactly like an existing login. So what you ask is a no-no.

I remember I've read that before, but didn't mention it as I couldn't find it in FB's terms. Can you?

Also, people don't read terms, they just check the box. Would be the same in this case, really. And those who actually do read them, also read the hardly visible lines.

Also, people don't read terms, they just check the box. Would be the same in this case, really. And those who actually do read them, also read the hardly visible lines.

Honestly, no.

You are (usually) right when you say "people don't read terms, they just check the box" but they have checked the box (=agreed) AND NOTICED the rules, terms, ... etc. - but people who notice this informations (near the checkboxes) not simultaneously see the links on the facebook page. This can also be a legal problem if someone say the information is "hidden" or placed "unexpected".

Facebook changes their rules frequently, however, there was a point in time where the Facebook Connect terms specifically stated that you could not require users to agree to terms/privacy policies outside of the "Official" Facebook dialog box. I have not checked their rules lately to see if this has changed, however it did indeed use to be the case. This is why it is setup the way it is. Facebook wants their dialog box to be the one-step "Authorize" checkbox.

And even if it is OK on facebook (i do not think so) we don't have any informations about the terms and privacy police on twitter registration.

And also i don't think it is a big problem to show a text (maybe including checkboxes) BEFORE a member can register with facebook/twitter - i see this on other pages as well (e.g. "By clicking and registering with the XXX button you accept our terms and privacy police").

Archived